Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Triggers, desires, and thoughts

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said Kodiak...........Welcome back!!

Stats are looking great..............Keep the Quit

hugggggggs
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 46
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,380
Amount Saved: $193.20
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 16 Mins: 32 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said Kodiak, well said!  How true it is that smoking does not change anything, does not fix anything, does not eliminate any stress, does not make you popular, does not resolve anger or anxiety, the list goes on and on.  Congratulations on realizing this, and congratulations on your 36 smoke free days!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 205
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,200
Amount Saved: $1,640.00
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 16 Mins: 33 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kodiak,

This realization was very insightful...you should feel very proud of yourself
Congratulations on all of your successes Kodiak.
Stay strong,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Kodiak!
Everything you say it's true; The emotional cigarrettes are the hardest to avoid! I have noticed thet anxiouness is my biggest
triger. I feel almost a physical urge when I get anxious or nervous; But the good thing is that we now which triggers are the strongest, and we can have as coping strategy!
I have noticed also that my smoking toughts are less frequent and intense; I don't want to say that this has been a walk in the park(I still remember the first 20days), but I have learned a lot about my addiction; I'm not letting my guard down; I know that smoking tought can come in an unexpected time or situation!
What has really helped me is that my daily life flows around nonsmokers, so this is great! Also, I have found that excercising reduces my smoking tought in a great way.
So I'm staying positive, celebrating each day as a nonsmoker, but also I know that this is a nasty addiction,and I should be alert! I try to welcome the smioking toughts, because they give me an opportunity to retrain my smoker's brain!
You are doing great!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 49
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 735
Amount Saved: $73.50
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 15 Mins: 45 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One of the things that I have been interested in since I started this journey, oh so many hears ago, is the multitude of smoking associations that have been made in our minds.  When we first quit we are reminded almost constantly that we smoked when we performed certain tasks, or at certain times of the day.  Some of these associations have quickly disappeared for me.  For instance, I always made sure that I had smokes in my purse before I left the house.  I haven't once in 36 days checked my purse to check.  I don't know why, but that association left instantly.  It took probably 3 weeks before 'have a smoke' was not the first thought I had when I woke up in the morning.  Now it's my 3rd or 4th thought.  When I left work for the day, as soon as I was able, I would light a cigarette.  Now it is sometimes 5 minutes before I think about it. 

I judge my progression in quitting, by being alert to the fact that these associations are not so automatic anymore. I enjoy when I can say, "hey, I haven't thought about smoking for 1 hour."  For the most parts thinking about smoking is to do the automatic associations we have made in order to service our addiction.  When we quit smoking, those thoughts are no longer unconscious, they are conscious thoughts, which is part of why it is so difficult to quit.  When I have a smoking thought, I try and figure out why I thought about it just then.  Was it because of a triggering association made based on the time of day or a task?  Those thoughts and much easier to dismiss and carry on. 

I have noticed that those thoughts associated with triggering emotions, such as anger and anxiety, are a lot harder to dismiss.  Yesterday, I was anxious about being late for an appointment.  I started thinking, 'stop and get some smokes, and you will get through this easier.'  I quickly realized how utterly ridiculous that argument was, by acknowledging what emotion I was presently experiencing and why, and then how I could cope with this emotion and the thoughts I should be thinking instead.  I thought about how much more anxious I would feel if I was smoking, and stopping to get cigarettes would make me even more late.  After waiting for the doctor for more than an hour (even though I was late), I was able to see how smoking would not have changed anything, but get me smoking again - and I would still have been anxious about being late.  

Nicotine addiction caused me to make false justifications in order to keep me smoking.  It is hard though when you realize just how much you were lying to yourself, and the sometimes huge and daunting task it is to reverse those thoughts, but I persevere.  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 36
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 720
Amount Saved: $345.60
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 21 Mins: 29 Seconds: 43

Reading this thread: