Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Are we trying to quit?

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post, Steve!  Hold on to that mustang spirit!

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 217
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,425
Amount Saved: $2,441.25
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 7 Mins: 47 Seconds: 21

15 years ago 0 145 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW Steve, that sounds like you were truly inspired by someone or thing? and yet somehow it kinda sounds a little familiar. Oh Well can't place it yet, must be the 'JUST DO IT'
Thanks again, I needed that.
Pupikat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 23
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 644
Amount Saved: $169.05
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 17 Mins: 19 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Or have we quit?
Have any of you ever watched the TV show Mad TV?  If not, it's a sketch comedy show along the lines of Saturday Night Live. Bob Newheart was on one time playing a psychiatrist. He had a client come in and express all these strange thoughts. He told her I have one thing to tell you that will solve all your problems. Should I write this down, she asks. Well, it's only three words so you should be able to remember it. Ok, ready?
Just Stop It.

Brings back some other memories from my youth. After college I worked in psychiatric hospitals for a few years. It got old pretty fast but I learned quite a bit about people and dealing with them. I got so tired of "I'm Working on it",  "I'm going to start", " I want to"... you get the idea. My answer to them?  When will you stop working on it, starting it or owning up to it?  Just do it. Act like it is already part of your character. Making the decision and taking the action is what needs to happen. Not thinking about it, working on it. Doing it is the only thing that will create change.
We aren't trying to quit, we HAVE quit. At least that's the decision I made. 

OK, stepping down off soap box now. Oh, yea, this was way back in the early 70s so Nike doesn't own the phrase Just do it.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/13/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 39
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 585
Amount Saved: $81.90
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 6 Mins: 59 Seconds: 34

Reading this thread: