Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Truthful antismoking ads...shocking?

16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't mean to overrun Cabbage's post :-) Just saying the ads should be truthful but not exagerated. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 351 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,775 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,228.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was becoming an expert at jumping up and turning the dial before the family truly understood what was being said on the ads...i would talk soooo loudly through them that finally my daughter said "we get what you're doing - the ad makes you uncomfortable...why is that?" and she knew why it was...because i WAS a smoker and it shamed me. did it make me stop? no. did it scare me enough to stop? no. what made me stop? ME. the ads, the tax, the cost...the lack of places in new york city to smoke in...nothing did it. i woke up one morning and said 'enough'. i look for the ads now...so i can say to myself and my family..."that is not me anymore...i am over it". *there is a new ad coming out today/tomorrow which is supposedly very difficult to watch....but not for us, non-smokers...right? NOT ONE PUFF EVER. GO US! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 69 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,070 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $879.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$7,238.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 799 Hours: 21

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, This is a great conversation that you've started. Maybe some more members can contribute their thoughts. In Canada, there has also been some talk of raising taxes on 'junk' food similar to what the government did with tobacco. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post, John. This is a really interesting topic. It does make sense to follow healthy guidlines as you live your life, its just common sense. However, my daughter, being pregnant, is reading everything on the internet. DON'T drink tea or coffee. DON'T eat eggs over easy. The list goes on and on. She said to me, "Mom, I'm so confused." I think this is a world gone paranoid. My best advice to her was...when it comes to food, everything in moderation. And when it comes to smoking...JUST DON'T!!!! Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $680.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
I need to make a correction to my statement. Here are the top 10 causes of death world wide. As you read them you can see how unhealthy diet and smoking CAN contribute to quite a few of them: 1. Heart disease 2. Stroke 3. Lung cancer 4. Lower respiratory infections 5. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) 6. Colon and rectum cancers 7. Alzheimer�s disease and other dementias 8. Type 2 diabetes 9. Breast cancer 10. Stomach cancer Here is the list for low- and middle-income countries: 1. Heart disease 2. Stroke 3. Lower respiratory infections 4. HIV/AIDS 5. Fetus/newborn (perinatal) conditions 6. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) 7. Diarrhea 8. Tuberculosis 9. Malaria 10. Road traffic accidents source: Fox News === Bottom line, it is all about the choices we make through life that affects our well being. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 349 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,221.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
john i agree. everyone who smokes knows it's not healthy , but we make a decision to do it anyway. just like eating onion rings or drinking too much or driving too fast. the government is getting way too involved in people's personal lifes. at least that's my opinion. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/12/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,050 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $315.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Bear with me guys, cause I am going to take the other side for a moment. I think this is an exaggeration of the truth and the govt overstepped their bounds for free enterprise. Not everyone who smokes get's mouth cancer, some get hit by a car. Truth be told, here in the US obesity is the #1 problem, not tobacco. Even my doctor said, I would rather see you smoke a cigarette than eat an order of fries! So, should we pass a law that requires warning labels and posters for all Fast Food companies? What about preservatives? How about the steroids used in cattle? Are these not bad for us as well? At what point do we require a �Warning� label? Gee, if you think about it, we really need a warning on everything. So where do we draw the line and why should some companies be singled out? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 349 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,221.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've seen those ads too....and I always have a sense of relief that I don't smoke anymore. Somehow it always felt like it would be worse to get cancer if I was responsible for giving it to myself (like I deserved it or something) I'm glad that I don't have to feel guilty or embarrassed when those ads come on t.v. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 563 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,260 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,815.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jan, I agree, if I were still a smoker I would feel very vulnerable seeing the powerful ads that are coming out lately...to tell you the truth, they give me a moment of fear too, like, what if I didn't quit soon enough? Smoking looks so innocent and yet it's so potent and deadly. I'm glad that the ads are getting more and more compelling. When I started the big hullabaloo was about lung cancer and I thought to myself that it must take years to get that...and being 15 years old, I thought to myself that something like that would never happen to me. I even thought that quitting would be easy, I thought I would just wean myself off, one less smoke a day until I was down to none HA! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 563 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 22,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11,260.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cabbage, I saw the ad you are talking about. If I had been a smoker, I probably would have left the room, because it would have made me feel very vulnurable. There's another good ad out there right now. Its a guy saying he can't go a few hours without a cig, then you see someone hooked up to oxygen, saying, "I can't go a few feet without my oxygen." There are a few more examples in this ad, and again, it makes you shiver to the core. These are powerful ads. Brilliant. Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $484.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: