Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

I remember when....

16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, It's great to read that you've come to a realization. Not having to worry about smoking is always a great thing. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WoW do I remember? I wanted to quit for a couple of years before I finally did it. I remember the embarrassment as all conversation would stop as I hacked and coughed on every drag, only to be told that I really should stop (by the other smokes on top of it all) I remember going miles out of my way to buy my smokes at a store that would be selling them 'cheaper'. I remember trying so hard to stop - tossing out all my smokes, lighters etc...and in the morning digging around looking to retrieve it - or heading out to the store to buy more. It was a terrible addiction and I am so glad to be free. It took a long time for me to finally make it work, and even though I still struggle with the idea of a magical 'one smoke' I know better and don't give in. There are many people that I bump into that I haven't seen in a long time and they are amazed that I actually did it, no one thought I would ever really do it. Well. Here i am. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 559 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 22,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11,180.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And it is so painful Windy, all the times we dreamt about giving them up. Oh how often did we think, consider it and did nothing at all. You know, people that we know, really respect us, AND cherish us, heroes for getting it done! Such an accomplishment, truly a rush and were giants! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 788 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,184 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,334.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 146 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And it is so painful Windy, all the times we dreamdt about giving them up. Oh how often did we think, consider it and did nothing at allAnd it is so painful Windy, all the times we dreamt about giving them up. Oh how often did we think, consider it and did nothing at all. You know, people that we know, really respect us, AND cherish us, heroes for getting it done! Such an accomplishment, truly a rush and were giants! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 788 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,184 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,334.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 146 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just spent time with someone who has reached the point where they want to get cigarettes out of their life but are not quite ready to do that yet. I saw the pained look on her face when someone asked her about smoking. Later I told her that I can remember feeling exactly the same way that she did. For a long time I wanted to quit but I didn't feel like I could quit and I hated myself for that. I also hated when people bugged me about smoking because it reinforced how bad I felt (I didn't go into that much detail with her)...but it did make me realize that perhaps this is part of the process....because at some point we get so sick and tired of being addicted that we DO finally quit. I also realized that there are so many more activities that I enjoy now because I don't have to worry about smoking.... Sometimes I forget how awful it was to be addicted....It's good to realize how far we have come. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 556 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,780.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: