Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Smoking = Low Class ?

16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't intend to focus this discussion on the existence or non-existence of a class system in the United States. But I can tell you that many of us in the United States have worked and are working very hard against the kinds of prejudices that create the kind of thinking that divides people into groups. And as long as we keep pointing out that it is hiding there and as long as we don't bring it out into the open, then it remains a very ugly thing. Having said that, I will repeat my original point. Smoking crosses all boundaries, all incomes, all colors, and all borders. Rich or poor, black or white, educated or uneducated -- there are smokers and we once were there also. If we divide ourselves into "classes," then someone is going to be on the bottom. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1007 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,524.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 142 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$54,797.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 4

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So the welder was the only honest smoker in the crowd which in my book makes him the classiest smoker there. Perhaps your uber classy smoker just waited for a cigar and a glass of port. If it happened to be a fine Cuban cigar then it would be even classier yet. And the Port! There are amazing degrees of quality and class in this interesting fortified wine and most folks under a certain socioeconomic level wouldn't in a million years be able to tell the difference between a ruby, a tawny, or a vintage port. Most of them probably wouldn't like it, it's kinda icky. Class is a funny thing, those that think they have it like to flaunt it, that that have it don't show it off, those that have none cannot buy it for any amount of money. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 720 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, I think the class system does still exist in both our countries whether we like it or not. It's just not politically correct to say it anymore. It rears it's ugly head on occasion. I could give you examples, but thats not the point here. It has improved alot in the past forty years, but it is still hiding underneath. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 195 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,057.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry I'm not coming across the way I mean to, Rusty. I'm not equating smoking with low class or money with high class at all. In fact, I deliberately did not use that word in my previous post. I'm sure there are vast differences between your experience in the Southern states and mine in Western Canada. Generally speaking, however, our societies are similar, and studies show these divisions along socio-economic lines in both countries. It might not be right and it might contribute to a whole other set of social problems but it is there. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,386.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
Nope, sorry. Income does not equal class, and neither does smoking equal low-class. Do you think Brittany Spears or Michael Vick are high class because they are rich? And I also must disagree with the idea that there are "North American attitudes." I am from the southern part of the U.S., and you don't know a thing about my attitudes by that fact. And finally, my point was and still is this: please don't categorize non-smokers as "high class" and smokers as "low class." If you do, you have forgotten your roots here. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1007 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,524.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 142 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$54,797.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

[quote]Although it appears we as a group don't necessarily agree on the subject, I believe there is truth in what everyone has to say and I also think it is wonderful that people from different parts of the world, different social classes and backgrounds, educational levels, occupations, etc. can come together in one forum and discuss such an issue. We are fortunate![/quote] Right on, kelly! That is what's inmportant! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,386.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
I don't know, Rusty. I think we do, I'm Canadian but North American attitudes are very similar to each other. It's generally accepted that less-educated people earning lower incomes are more likely to have gambling problems, including lottery tickets & bingo, have a higher occurence of alcoholism, and smoke. I see it around me every day, and there are numerous studies that bear it out. Of course, anyone can be a closet smoker or alcoholic, and it's unfortunate that a stereotype can develop & influence our thinking around addictions so that some people will look at addiction as a "low class" problem. Maybe we don't like to co-relate income with behaviour & maybe we don't do it out loud but we do it & it's unavoidable because the corelation exists. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,386.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been reading this discussion and trying to figure out a PC way to respond. I don't know if there really is one. I like what Unhooked said and agree that smokers are generally looked down upon by non-smokers (and even some smokers). Of course nothing is universal and not every statement is true for everyone. Believe it or not, there are people out there that aren't judgemental. A few. But, I have read a great deal of posts by many a member here and quite a few have stated some sort of embarrassment surrounding their smoking. I know I didn't smoke in front of most other parents from school or soccer. I also always kept gum and body spray in my car so I wouldn't smell so bad when I walked into visit a customer. (I so wonder what I actually smelled like. lol. Maybe I don't want to know after all.) The most recent statistic I heard is that in the US, smoking is down and only about 23% of US citizens smoke as compared to 40 some % a couple decades ago. I have not seen any stats that divide that up between the socio-economic classes but would be very interested in those if someone can come up with them. It seems to me that 50 years ago it was a sign of wealth and sophistication to smoke. Now, I think John is correct in saying it gives a totally different impression. Although it appears we as a group don't necessarily agree on the subject, I believe there is truth in what everyone has to say and I also think it is wonderful that people from different parts of the world, different social classes and backgrounds, educational levels, occupations, etc. can come together in one forum and discuss such an issue. We are fortunate! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128.70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Class or not. Smokers have become social outcasts, everywhere. John I find it hard to believe that there was only one smoker. Because of the social 'stigma' now attached to smoking, I would expect that at a 'fancy' event like that, there is likely more closet smokers, as they are being forced to be that way, more than ever before. One more reason to thank our lucky stars we quit! :) No, it's not right, but it's how things are. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 195 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,057.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
I guess I just have a problem with the whole terminology of "class." In the United States, we usually don't use "class" (as in "the lower classes) to differentiate groups of people. Of course, there are levels of income, but we don't generally co-relate income with behavior. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1007 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,524.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 142 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$54,797.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: