Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Smoking = Low Class ?

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love you, Sparky. Even if you did eated my cookie! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,386.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I said I was not going to say anything on the subject, but I just can not help it. John, no harm done, just a lot of opinions. You would never ever go out of your way to be mean. Now here is my opinion. Funny I go to AA and sit in rooms with doctors, lawyers, priest, police and firemen/women, skid row bumps, rich people, poor people and ME, and addictions does not show any favoritism. Although I do find smokers smelly :eg: Just a little of my insights. [IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p173/osd1944/bighug.gif[/IMG] Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 139 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $417.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
...and once more Lamplighter brings perfect clarity to the controversy! Thanks for that, buddy, you are bang on right,as usual! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,386.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
16 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, I think there's something to that. I've certainly noticed that some people seem to respond to me differently. I work at a school and when I quit smoking... the teachers seemed to get "friendlier", or maybe just less wary. I don't know if they're even aware of it. But when you think about it, it does make sense that nonsmokers would be a little hesitant to be around smokers. I mean, how would we feel about spending very much time, or being in close proximity to someone who went around spraying insecticide wherever he/she went all day, every day? The least of it is that they would smell like insecticide, and the worst possibility is that they might spray some on you...or that you would get some effect from the poison just from being close to them. And cigarettes release all kind of poisons. So, even if there's little real danger, as opposed to perceived danger (and I some of the dangers are quite real)... it's understandable that non-smokers might be concerned. Additionally, smoking is unattractive... not much less so than chewing snuff, when you think about it. Is it a "class" issue? In a way. Rates of various addictions are tied to socio-economic circumstances. We know that. But I don't think that wealthier people are snobbish about addiction so much as... they simply aren't exposed to it as much, therefore find it more foreign. They don't have the same comfort level with it because it's not as common in their experience...though it certainly exists in their circles, and sometimes blatently so. So I think money, education and positive opportunities all factor in to some extent. As a point of interest, when I started working at the school where I'm now employed... out of a staff of about 25 people, there were two smokers, including myself. Prior to that I worked in a warehouse for a while... and about 35% of the employees there smoked. I believe that people at all socio-economic levels are quitting smoking, but they don't all appear to be at similiar levels in the process. People with greater educational and career advantages seem to be a little further down the road of smoking cessation. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 194 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,794.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
Hey, John. I don't think any offense was taken by anyone, it was just a spirited discussion. There are obviously a lot of opinions on this one & there's nothing wrong with that! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,386.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go John. Thanks for the entertainment LMAO ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 180 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,800.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys, Maybe I could have said it better, was early in the morning. It was not my intention to offend anyone nor for it to go as far as it did. I was just my general observation that non-smokers seem to have a poor impression of smokers. It is just my opinion whether right or wrong. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 136 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $476.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
REMEMBER All people are created equal, That of course is just my opinion [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 507 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $195.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here's findings from one study I found: SUMMARY A survey of the socioeconomic s, tatus of POL panelists reveals that (I;) Lower class pan,elists smoke more and are much more likely to be smokers than upper class panelists, Status inconsistent pan,elists (whose income or education are inappropriate for their occupation) smoke more and are more likely to smoke than are pan,elists with consistent incomes, education and occupations, (3): Sociall class in,fluences cigarette type smoked very little, except for lower class tendencies to smoke nonfilters and avoid health filters, an,d lO0 mm brands. The disproportionate distributiion of smokers among, the social classes may well account for some of the reported; differen~ces In psychological characteristics, between smokers. and nonsmokers (e.g. lower academic achiievement and intelligence test scores of smokers). Further, the distribution~ can even mask situations iin which, smokers do better than nonsmokers so that smokers will appear worse than nonsmokers. Social class of respond=ents cannot be ignored in studying smoking behavior. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128.70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, you're right there Rusty! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 195 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,057.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21

Reading this thread: