Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

JDK Thread #6

16 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[size=4]YOU GO, KEV! I'M SITTIN' ON YOUR SHOULDER![/size] Nance [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 154 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $746.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
16 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
that's right Kev, you are strong - you are 6 days a quitter now - you are doin it!! STrut those stats and be proud of yourself. I heard the Abraham Lincoln one long ago and never forgot it. Amazing stuff huh? :) Sue [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $133.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sue, what can I say? I never knew half of that. Especially about A Lincoln. I am back in the right place now again, thanks. I am climbing over the obstacles. And tomorrow I will start a new thread for week 2 (heck week). The smile is back on my face. (yep I tackled the parent I was fearing, one down one to go) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �25.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Holy smokeless, Sue! This really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? All we have to do is not smoke! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $726.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kev, imagine our world today if these people had given up. You must be ever vigiliant, stay true to your purpose and never ever give up on yourself or belief in yourself. Stand up straight and tall now and give yourself a strong talking to!!! It is the right thing to do, you are doing it - relax buddy ;) "Don't Give Up!!!" The marvelous richness of human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were not limitations to overcome. The hilltop hour would not be half so wonderful if there were no dark valleys to traverse. Helen Keller Ski instructor Pete Seibert was considered crazy when he first disclosed his dream to start a ski resort. Standing on the summit of a mountain in the Gore Range in Colorado, Seibert described a dream he had carried with him since age 12, and began the challenge of convincing others that it was possible. Seibert's dream is now a reality called Vail. Young Dr. Ignatius Piazza, fresh out of chiropractic school, wanted to open a practice in the beautiful Monterey Bay area of California. He was told by the local chiropractors that the area was already overrun with chiropractors and there were not enough potential patients to support another practice. For the next four months, Piazza spent 10 hours a day going door to door and introducing himself as a new chiropractic doctor in town. He knocked on 12,500 doors, spoke to 6,500 people and invited them to come to his future open house. As a result of his perseverance and commitment, during his first month in practice, he saw 233 new patients and earned a record income for that time of $72,000 in one month! During its first year of business, the Coca-Cola Company sold only 400 Cokes. Basketball superstar Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. At age 17, Wayne Gretzky was an out standing athlete intent on pursuing a career in either soccer or hockey. His first love was hockey, but when he tried out for the pros, he was told, "You don't weigh enough. At 172 pounds, you're over 50 pounds lighter than the average player. You won't be able to survive on the rink." Sheila Holzworth lost her sight when she was only 10 years old. The orthodontic headgear that was attached to her braces snapped and gouged her eyes. Despite her lack of sight, she went on to become an internationally known athlete whose accomplishments included climbing to the icy summit of Mount Rainier in 1981. Rafer Johnson, the decathlon champion, was born with a club foot. Dr. Seuss's first children's book, And to Think that I Saw It on Mulberry Street, was rejected by 27 publishers. The 28th publisher, Vanguard Press, sold 6 million copies of the book. Richard Bach completed only one year of college, then trained to become an Air Force jet-fighter pilot. Twenty months after earning his wings, he resigned. Then he become an editor of an aviation magazine that went bankrupt. Life became one failure after another. Even when he wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull, he couldn't think of an ending. The manuscript lay dormant for eight years before he decided how to finish it-only to have 18 publishers reject it. However, once it was published, the book went on to sell 7 million copies in numerous languages and make Richard Bach an internationally known and respected author. The author William Kennedy had written several manuscripts, all of them rejected by numerous publishers, before his "sudden success" with his novel Ironweed, which was rejected by 13 publishers before it was finally accepted for publication. When we wrote Chicken Soup for the Soul, it was turned down by 33 publishers before Health Communications agreed to publish it. All the major New York publishers said, "It is too nicey-nice" and "Nobody wants to read a book of short little stories." Since that time over 7 million copies of Chicken Soup for the Soul, A 2nd Helping of Chicken Soup for the Soul and the Chicken Soup for the Soul Cookbook have been sold worldwide, with the books translated into 20 languages. In 1935, the New York Herald Tribune's review of George Gershwin's classic Porgy and Bessstated that it was "Sure-fire rubbish." In 1902, the poetry editor of the Atlantic Monthly returned the poems of a 28-year-old poet with the following note: "Our magazine has no room for your vigorous verse." the poet was Robert Frost. In 1889, Rudyard Kipling received the following rejection letter form the San Francisco Examiner:"I'm sorry, Mr. Kipling, but you just don't know how to use the English language." Alex Haley got a rejection letter once a week for four years as a budding writer. Later in his career, Alex was ready to give up on the book Roots and himself. After nine years on the project, he felt inadequate to the task and was ready to throw himself off a freighter in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. As he was standing at the back of the freighter, looking at the wake and preparing to throw himself into the ocean, he heard the voices of all his ancestors saying, "You do what you got to do because they are all up there watching. Don't give up. You can do it. We're counting on you!" In the subsequent weeks the final draft of Roots poured our of him. John Bunyan wrote Pilgrim's Progress while confined to a Bedford prison cell for his views on religion; Sir Walter Raleigh wrote the History of the World during a 13-year imprisonment; and Martin Luther translated the Bible while confined in the Castle of Wartburg. After Thomas Carlyle lent the manuscript of The French Revolution to a friend whose servant carelessly used it to kindle a fire, he calmly went to work and re-wrote it. In 1962, four young women wanted to start a professional singing career. They began performing in their church and doing small concerts. Then came their time to cut a record. It was a flop. Later, another record was recorded. The sales were a fiasco. the third, fourth, fifth and on through their ninth recordings were all failures. Early in 1964, they were booked for The Dick Clark Show. He barely paid enough to meet expenses, and no great contracts resulted from their national exposer. Later that summer, they recorded "Where Did Our Love Go?" This song raced to the top of the charts, and Diana Ross and the Supremes gained national recognition and prominence as a musical sensation. Winston Churchill was unable to gain admittance to the prestigious Oxford or Cambridge universities because he "was weak in the classics." James Whistler, one of America's greatest painters, was expelled from West Point for failing chemistry. In 1905, the University of Bern turned down a doctoral dissertation as being irrelevant and fanciful. The young physics student who wrote the dissertation was Albert Einstein, who was disappointed but not defeated. by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen authors of Chicken Soup for the Soup for the Soul Imagine, how easy it would have been for this young man to have bowed his head and given up. He failed in business in '31, he was defeated for the legislature in '32, he was elected to the legislature in '34. His sweetheart died in '35, he had a nervous breakdown in '36, he was defeated for speaker in '38, he was defeated for elector in '40, he was defeated for Congress in '43, he was elected to Congress in '46, defeated for Congress in '48, defeated for Senate in '50, defeated for vice president in '56 and for Senate in '58. But fortunately he was elected president in 1860. His name was Abraham Lincoln. He proves that failure need not be permanent. Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $133.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
Nance, YOU ARE THE BEST !!!! A kind of virtual mum/mom to me, and I really appreciate it. I can tell you now, there is no chance to me not being smokefree tomorrow morning. Nobody can convince me to smoke. I got that far you see! Back to taking it minute by minute. I got to build the positive energy before I talk to my parents. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �25.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
Penguin, Seems we were on at the same time. I've just been reading your poem. That was a lovely one. Determination is not a problem any more. I have never wanted a cigarette less. There is only one way and that is forward. I know that. Right, the way forward. I have to explain to my parents my current mental state. As they have the same doctor they can make the decision. I'll have to explain that I am being monitored by management too as of this afternoon (not easy). I'll keep writing. It'll help me get through the day. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �25.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, Kev you already promised that you would not smoke today, and since you are a man of your word, you WILL make it until tomorrow...a new day. I didn't use NRT or go cold turkey (I am a chantix user)so I am unfamiliar with effects of those choices. However, I do know that if you visit your doctor he may prescribe an antidepressant or another medication that will help you get through this rough period. You state that you will never again quit. DO NOT give up on quitting. Many here have had to try repeatedly until they were successful. EVERYONE can quit, that's the fact. Some have a harder time than others, but Kevin, it does get easier. I can't say when it will get easier for you, but it will. Try not to think about the negative aspects of quitting. I believe that focusing on negative things increases negative thoughts/feelings. Focus on the postive...you have 7 smoke free days. If you did 7 days, you can do 8! Focus on how much better your lungs feel...even if you aren't aware of it, they are beginning to heal. Focus on your sense of smell and taste. Maybe you won't notice a difference yet, but eventually you will. Focus on them now and then you will really notice the change when it comes. Don't focus on the smokers, but instead focus on the non-smokers. Focus on your deep breathing...not the reason why you are doing it. Can you breathe a little deeper than yesterday or last week? That's a positive thing! Change up your mantra occasionally. Try "I feel better than I did_____ (yesterday, Monday, etc). Or "tomorrow will be easier" (and believe it!). You have the tools, Kevin, just figure out which ones work for you and discard the rest just as you have discarded NRT. You know this site works, so stay with us. Don't read negative posts, only the positive ones. You know who the positive people are..read and re-read the inspiring posts...the ones that make you feel good, and feel positive. Don't sit there like a lemon, don't mope, get off the pity pot and move....do something positive. Get involved...get off the computer for a little bit. Take a walk. Read a book. Do a random act of kindness. I know how being on this site can be a constant reminder of smoking... so do something else and then come back here and tell us how it made you feel. Go someplace new where you couldn't go when you smoked. Plant something to commemorate your quit...nuture it, and let it grow with you. Get down in the dirt and love it! Okay, you are through day 7! Congratulations! You completed hell week!! Heck week will NOT be as tough. That doesn't mean it will be easy...stay on guard...the junkie may scream pretty loud... You have to believe that you can do this. I sure do! I'm pulling you along, and others are pushing you. What's stopping you now? That's my 2 cents. LOL! ((((HUG)))) Nance [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 154 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $746.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gonna try a little push here. I am always afraid that I will say the wrong thing, so I am going to quote someone from here who always knows the right thing to say. I can't bump the post, but I am copying it from my quit journal. From Rusty � determination at its best: You've got to get your most stubborn face on. You've got to hang onto your quit with all your might. You've got to say "Damn the torpedos...full speed ahead!" That's what you've got to do if you want to quit. It is totally a matter of mindset. Forget what your husband or anybody else says or thinks. The people on this site have quit and will be your best support. -Just make sure that in your quiver you have the arrow of determination. That is the very most important ingredient. The other aids will ease your journey, but you must also have a stubbornness and a grit and a mindset that you are through with this addiction once and for all. And, you must recognize that it is indeed an addiction -- if you smoke one cigarette, you might as well put the whole pack in your mouth. -(in response to how long does it take to feel normal) -First of all, don't even worry about how long. Only think about right now, this minute, this cigarette not smoked. Get through this one, and then get through the next one. Get through this hour and then worry about the next one. It's just too overwhelming to think in terms of days or weeks or even longer. If you do that, you will just say "What's the use? I can't do this." Anyway, what difference does it make? If I told you, in six months you'll feel completely normal, what would you say? Too long, never mind? Or what about one month, is that too long or just right? Just don't worry about when. Just deal with right now and the cigarette you're not going to smoke. I am sure there is a lot of people who think that since I have relapsed many times, that I just don't have what it takes. It is not what other people think, but what I think that is most important - I BELIEVE that I can do this. As much as you feel that you can't do this, YOU ARE DOING IT. I also BELIEVE what others say - that it will get better. Hold on to that thought. Prove it to yourself - and know one else. Smile - your are doing something wonderful for yourself. I know you can do it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$330,488.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6028 Hours: 10

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I thought I had better post. As I have shared everything in this quit so far. The following is my heart and soul completely open. I'd like to put something to the floor if you like (thats you btw :) ) For the past seven days I have been sitting in the office for the most part physically trembling, feeling sick, and gritting my teeth so I don't burst into tears. I have managed to do some work but not much, most of my energy has gone into keeping looking normal to the person in front on me. Its a very thin veil to be honest. My team leader and my quit buddy suggest that I either, start smoking again, use NRT's, and see my doctor. The problem is that A) I will never use NRT ever again, apart from the fact that I have tried most if not all of them, it also feels far worse than when I am cold turkey. B) I probably cannot smoke any more either. If I do, it is the end of all quits. Never again will I quit. On the bright side, I will stay here as I have friends here. C) I'd promised myself, the only time I would see my doctor is when i am in a box. I avoid my doctor like the plague. My quit buddy might have convinced me to book an appointment with my doctor, probably the only one who might have a chance of convincing me to do that. Everything that has been positive helps me tremendously. Some of you actually believe that I can make it to a smokefree life (Nance, Unhooked, BFS etc) where I don't. That keeps me going. The fact that I could be close to starting to feel better also keeps me going. All I know is is that now I just CANNOT SMOKE or TAKE NRT. No way jose. Quit jealousy is never a good thing either. She has three days and is flying high, and I am 7 days in and feel like I am on day 1. I repeat to myself 'Keep going, keep going'. And just sit here like a lemon. Man I HATE being useless and I hate letting people down too. Yes this is my second big wobble in as many days. I just got to make it smokefree, I just have to. I was in two minds as to whether to post this, but I am sure someone here is able to offer some good advice. I haven't given up my fight yet! 7 3/4 days smokefree. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �25.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53

Reading this thread: