Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,673 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

A new moment .. A new day ..

16 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You can do this Sam. Remember what you said....one moment at a time.....the future has not been written......all we have is right now......You can do this!!!!! and you never know.....Seamus might need the paddle......lol........
16 years ago 0 241 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I knew what you meant Bear :) Yes Rusty.. nonic totally on the money! And you are so right about my shoulders, they're up around my ears right now :( But like I said in my post minutes before I'm going to distract myself, as you said, drink lots of fluids and then later lay down when most of this hyperness calms down and just rest up :) Thank you ! xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
nonic, It certainly is programmed behaviour ! YES.. distractions ! Ok.. The whoozy feeling from the med's is lessening and I have so many things listed to distract me. I'm thinking too much.. NOT GOOD! Time to start going through my list.. And yes nonic .. it IS WORTH IT ! Behaviour modification is KEY.. *deep breathing* and push on and stop thinking. Can't understand why I'm thinking so much.. I certainly know that in the past, dealing with illness, pain, stress etc., I would sit and think with a cig in hand. It's all a matter of mixing up the cycle and train my mind that THAT'S NOT AN OPTION! Ok.. off I go. Can't just sit here.. will find all 'sit down' things to do and surely all of these thoughts/feelings WILL pass. It's a new day.. and I will PUSH THROUGH EACH MOMENT ! Thanks xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sam I got that a-- backward . What he said was it was easier to give up his addiction to heroin than to quit smoking !!! :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 110 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,980 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,100.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sam, I've had foot surgery several times so I know what it's like to not be able to get up and move around. You have that extra challenge to your quit. But the good news is: you are on Day Two. You NEVER have to do Day One again. Doesn't it feel somewhat miraculous that you are doing this? Nonic is so correct when talking about the new you and the old you. Part of quitting an addiction is slowly getting rid of your addicted self and its influence on the REAL you. This will become so much clearer as you get through these first few days of healing. Remember to take deep breaths and relax your shoulders. Drink lots of water and juice. Sleep as much as you need to. Have faith that every minute, you are becoming stronger and healthier. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 937 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 26,236 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,279.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 132 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$55,026.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 20

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sam You will find your best tool is distraction. Remember (as you forget)...see how hard this is...that we are dealing with learned, programmed behaviour, instituted over time. Smoking is a repetitious act that is ingrained in our beings and manifests itself in response to known stimulus. Add the fact that the substance, nicotine, which is the facilitator of the learned behaviour is highly addictive, it is no wonder that this is one big mountain to climb...That is why it can not be done in leaps and bounds...But believe it or not every time you deny the cycle of behaviour, you are stronger. We may not see physical or emotional evidence of this augmented strength, but I guarantee you it is there. You are in the process of relearning how to be you...Not the you that was hidden behind a veil of thin blue smoke, not the you who filtered the world through a smokey umbilical cord. No you are reaching higher to experience the you that has always been waiting to be discovered. The one we have all hidden away for so long behind our addiction. But gifts like that do not come without cost. However, the price is low in relation to the outcome. So use those distractions, they will become a new learned behaviour that will ultimately lead you to victory. And I think it�s worth it, how about you? nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 195 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,365.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
Yes Bear I read that about the heroin addiction .. Oh geez,,it's damn hard this morning for me.. I'm plugging through the pain in my foot, whoozy from the med's, tried to lay down and rest but I'm feeling hyper as hell .. ugggghhh ! Be gentle with Seamus .. he needs some TLC and if that doesn't work than keep the paddle ready ! xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sam Malcom X said that is was more difficult to give up his addiction to heroin than it was to quit smoking !!! It has also been stated that fewer than 7% of people that quit smoking do it successfully. This battle to quit smoking is not kids play which you are finding out but I have complete confidence in you because "You Are Canadian" P.S. I put away the paddle for you But I'm keeping it at hand for Seamus :eg: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 110 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,980 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,100.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
It's been a difficult few hours so far this morning. Feeling anxious.. doing a lot of breathing exercises.. so wish I could go out for a walk as it's always been the best 'medicine' for me when stressed or feeling hyper, but can't with the fracture. I know all this will pass and I need to push through it - but it is hard and scary :8o: I've been going through a lot of the posts here as reading really helps me. Gotta keep my mind active and distracted. xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
Seamus... Ok.. on the page where all the forums are listed, on the left side of the page there is a LAUNCH button ..right beside it it says -- The new and improved Instant Messenger: Click to (LAUNCH BUTTON) Below each of the member's names, avatar's etc is a "Add Buddy" button, click onto that button and it will add me to your buddy list automatically. I have added you to mine hon and will send you a message ok with my email :) xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17

Reading this thread: