Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Here's where I'm struggling BIG TIME

16 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Imawriter, the voices will come...so let them come. Don't fight with them. Tell them to take their best shot, and then smile to yourself... because you know that no matter what... you'll stay smoke-free. You have to KNOW that the fight is already over, and that you've won. The voices, the cravings... are just running out the string. The addiction in you doesn't want to die, it doesn't want to be beaten back... and it will do everything it can to stay in the game. You have to know it's over. You have to accept the death throws of your nicotine addiction, embrace the cravings... and watch as they die off, day by day and week by week. And they will die off... I promise you. But... you have to stand firm, no matter what comes. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 103 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,575 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $952.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
im awriter First off, congratulations on being a nonsmoker for one whole day!!!! Now, here's how I dealt with those silly thoughts (being a nonsmoker and all ; ) I acknowledged my choice in the matter, and out loud, mind you, I argued the junkie from my nonsmoker point of view. During the worst cravings it really worked, because my mind and body knew that the truth was I was a nonsmoker. "Why don't you get a cigarette from your mom?" YOU: I could, but I'm not going to, because I'm a nonsmoker and nonsmokers don't bum cigarettes" "You probably have a butt around here somewhere." YOU: Yeah, I probably do, but so what? I don't smoke, so what would I want with a butt?" "Tomorrow you'll be in town and can buy some." YOU: True, I could buy some. I can buy anything I want. But, I'm not going to buy cigarettes. Why? Because I don't smoke anymore, that's why!" "You can always quit later." YOU: Sure, I can quit anytime I want. In fact, I already quit. So why would I quit again? There's nothing to quit. I'm already a nonsmoker." Hope that helps -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $591.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
16 years ago 0 710 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unhooked, Loved this post, printed it out to read when needed! you are good, thanks, hugs and prayers, Bobbi [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,430 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $202.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, deep breathing helps for sure. So does ice water in a nozzly thing or chewing on something. Something else I do is talk back to the voices. I call it the inner junkie but whether it's nicodemon or voices or anything else, the more you ignore it the louder it gets. So I say to it, "I hear you, I know you're there but I will not feed you, I will starve you and you will die because I do not want you in my life." I also tell it that it stinks, it tastes horrible and I know it wants to kill me and other things like that. It works because it's very hard to keep competing thoughts in your head, just make sure that your non-smoker's voice is louder than your junkie's. Hang in, Imawriter, the first few days are the hardest & you can get through it. Oh, I just remembered, also try shouting WooHoo!!, because you can't feel bad when you're shouting Woo Hoo!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $374.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'd like to second the deep breathing! I know I breath a lot deeper now that I've quit and it definately makes it better. You are doing great. Don't listen to that voice. Someone will always know and that's you. You can't hide from yourself and that's what the demon wants you to think, that you can. It's the demon that puts you against yourself. He will lie to you every time. He will not make anything better, only you can do that. Slay that demon to the death. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 900 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, those voices will last for a while. It's just part of quitting. The key is to distract yourself and soon, you will get busy doing something else and will forget all about smoking... for a while. Yes, the voices may come back, but when they do, just squash them. Read your reasons for quitting, or do what you did... come here and post! It's REALLY hard to smoke when you're on a quit smoking website! :) The thing is, the longer you stay quit, the further apart those thoughts will get, so just hold on to that knowledge! Congrats on 2 day! Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 729 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,010.77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Do NOT listen to that voice!!! It is nicodemon! I found myself with way too much time when I quit and it was hard to find ways to fill the void left by smoking. I think that is what you are dealing with as it doesn't sound like stress. Take a walk around the block and shower and just go to bed. Tomorrow is a new day. Others here know breathing exercises and other tools that I've not used but are very helpful. Just don't smoke okay? Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 151 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $422.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, so my quit date was yesterday, which makes this day 2. I was prepared for the physical part and I've stayed very busy (helped with a garage sale for two days) and came home exhausted. I also have one of those "circle the word" books to help for awhile. But here's where I'm reeeeaally struggling... it's these damn voices in my head. *sigh* You know the ones... "Why don't you get a cigarette from your mom?" "You probably have a butt around here somewhere." "Tomorrow you'll be in town and can buy some." "You can always quit later." I just keep going from activity to activity trying to shut them up. ARGH!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18

Reading this thread: