Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,693 Members

Please welcome our newest members: aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH, Strongyogi*, TNIKKA

Hard to see this happen ....

17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was recently at a seminar by the American Cancer Society where they stated that the average smoker tries to quit 6 times before being successful! It was disheartening since this is my second (and final) attempt. But I do understand how difficult it can be. My last quit was ruined because I thought I could be a "social smoker". This time...NOPE! There is no such thing as a part-time addict. I am uplifted by those who continue to start all over...and return to this site to allow us to see their vulnerability and their disappointment. They continue to reach out for support, and they know they will receive it here, from "old friends" and "new friends". That's a comfort. Nance [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,970 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $480.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please don't get disheartened. I quit for 3 years and when I started again it was very intentional. I was not tempted anymore by smoking. I had to work to smoke again. This was my choice because of some medical things going on. Come to find out my lungs aren't in great shape either. The decision to quit and stay quit is the wisest decision you can make. If the thought crosses your mind just picture yourself dealing with an oxygen tank every day. Or maybe an attractive whole in your throat to speak out of. You will not fail and don't get disheartened because someone has fallen. Another person's quit has nothing to do with your strong resolve. These are just slips on the path of learning and we each have our own journey to take. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 84 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $21.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$15,969.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 805 Hours: 12

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean, I too get disheartened when I see what I deemed leaders fall. I don't want to elaborate but just wanted to let you know that I get bummed out too. But I am a proponent of welcoming and supporting everyone back after they have fallen off the wagon. Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 128 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $358.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean, I have seen many here look to other people to provide their quits, some are still lurking and looking to others! I believe they have little chance of succeeding. You, however, have every chance of succeeding because you have embraced your quit and understand your responsibility in all of this. It is your quit and no-one else's. Feel sad for those that fall but don't let it affect you; move on and do what is right for you. Own your quit and see it through! Chin up, eyes forward, see the prize and go and take it! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 22,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5,505.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 176 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$57,068.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1130 Hours: 8

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh bye the bye Whats this I see 50 days for Jean49 !!!! Gods where good eh Jean. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $650.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jean Like you I,m not seeing a whole lot of familar faces either and have wondered whats going on ?? But you know the old adage there,s nothing as constant as change ?? I take another tact on this addiction and hold myself responsible,I am the addict and It,s up to me to get better,there is no outside evil force called addiction. It,s nice to have the support of other people in this battle but in the end I make the final choice to smoke or not to smoke and I,ll be damned if I,m going to give it up after all this aggravation come hell or high water. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $650.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean, The power of addiction is nothing to play with. I've seen a lot of people lose their quits around here. Quitting is a choice. It is still a choice at day 60, day 600; day 6000; day 60000. That choice gets easier to make. When "life happens" a lot of people will run to the cigarette because that is wherein the comfort zone lies. The lies of the addiction say that smoking will make everything better, offer relief, make your troubles go away; but as an educated quitter you are well aware that these are just lies and there isn't any truth in the words. Many times in my quit, I have fought the addictive thinking. Many times I have won the battle. Always remember that we are all just one puff away from being enslaved to the addiction again. Protect your quit at all costs and no matter what, don't lite that next cigarette. As long as you can do that, you will be fine. As for those that do fall off the wagon, we need to support and encourage them. I want others to find the freedome I have found. I was one who couldn't even get on the wagon for so many years, let alone fall off of it. Before this quit, I never went for more than a few hours without a cigarette. It is an addiction and it is a nasty one. To break free takes strength, courage, and determination. Once a person's desire to quit outweights the desire to smoke, they too will quit. Lady [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 692 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,840 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,422.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 62 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning Jean, Have faith. This is all a choice. Your are absolutely correct - this is indeed 'one horrible sucker.' But, there are many of us who are proof that it's doable. For instance, I just logged on randomly today because I don't use this resource much anymore as I feel I've 'graduated' to some degree (there's a pun in there, eh?). And I think that is an individual choice also. Do think of your own vulnerabilities. Keep this battle in the forefront of your attention and one day you will not need to and know that this horrible sucker can't have his way with you unless YOU decide to allow it. My best and... keep fightin' the good fight - fish :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 519 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,570 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,595.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 68 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=Purple]I just came away from reading a post from someone who lost his 200 plus smoke free days.. I am not seeing familar names anymore.. Now I know I've only been here for 50 days, but in this relatively short amount of time so much is changing and I'm feeling a little worried. Am I worried about my own journey ? Hmmmmm... got to say no to that one, but I am worried that there are so many with great stats who have returned to smoking, worried that other's stop and start SO many times. All I'm saying is this - How must this look to a new person or someone very early in their non smoking quest ? I know I must sound like I'm rambling some, but I'm somewhat confused because on one hand these are the people who are so gung ho and then POOF they are smoking, POOF and they've competely disappeared from the radar altogether. I guess we, no matter how far along in our quits, have to reaffirm our resolve each and every day and remind ourselves that our quits belong to us and us alone and keep on the straight and narrow. We have to constantly keep our guard up and never think we're ok.. because quite frankly after my observations we must keep our coping tools very close at hand at all times ! I so hope that the people who feel shaky will come here 1st before losing everything they struggled so hard for, post their concerns and wait for many friends to respond so that they will be inspired to continue on. Maybe I'm just thinking of my own vulnerabilities... *pausing for several minutes and just deep in thought* This addiction is one horrible sucker. Jean [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $512.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11

Reading this thread: