Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Question about....

16 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I was a bit different. I was using gum & lozenges off & on, also patches I had some from a previous attempt. And I had cigarettes. Anywho, I smoked what I had, moved onto the gum & lozenges and used the couple of patches during the first week. Only what I had lasted 10 days instead of 7. Anyway, while I was using nicotine products, I had cravings. Once I ran out, and got serious, I didn't have near the problem I had before. I had some empty feeling, like I should be doing something, but it wasn't bad. And it got better over the first week. Now, I go hours and hours and don't think about smoking at all. I smoked 2 packs a day for 28 years, so I was not a casual smoker. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $272.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I forgot to mention he said that he doesn't smoke as much as he used to. So thats a good sign. I guess it takes longer for some people to quit on the chantix than others. Sounds as if he's doing good. BTW, congrats to all you quitters out there. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,925 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $292.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
  • Quit Meter

$21,888.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 765 Hours: 13

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This may not work for everyone. Take the time to check with your doctor and pharmacist regarding medications, dosages and over the counter products. They can be of great assistance to you :) Josie
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there, I'm a Chantix user also, and on day 4 smoke free. I started taking Chantix on April 24th (my original quit date was May 1st). You are "allowed" to smoke the first week while taking Chantix, as you gradually increase to the full dosage (2 mg. a day) during that week. I was not successful in quitting on May 1st, but my cigarette consumption was drastically cut back. And yes like your friend, they tasted awful but I continued to smoke them! My suggestion and it's also on the Chantix website, is if you do continue to smoke, keep trying. We all will quit differently and it did take over 3 weeks for me to stop completely and I am not out of the woods yet. I still want to smoke, but the cravings do pass eventually, and the only thing that we all must have is wanting to quit more then we want to smoke. It's hard, and I don't feel well at all, but this too shall pass. Good luck. Bonnie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello I am a Chantix user myself and have had great rewards with it. 85 days smoke free! Do you know if he read the directions correctly, you were allowed to smoke the first week on the pills, but after that you were supposed to quit all together. You still need to want to quit and you will still have to work at it. Chantix just makes it a bit easier to control the craves when they hit. I wish him luck with this, sounds like maybe he is not totally ready or he was not informed correctly on how to do it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 84 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $420.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello 2cents. I am a Chantix user and I agree that it has been a huge help, but you also have to have the desire to quit. I still had cravings, some big and some small. I had to resist and be strong, and believe me there were days I wanted to smoke myself to death. Chantix users have an advantage but they also need to have coping skills and a strong desire to quit. Each day it gets easier, trust me!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 272 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $67.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi 2cents You're a good friend to him I think no matter what chemical help you use, the main thing that determines whether you quit or not is your desire to do so...do you want to quit more than you want to keep smoking? That being said....I think my story is typical of quitters using chantix...smoked for 36 yrs...was up to at least 2 packs a day....I mean, if I was awake, and not with a client, I was smoking..had tried patches, gum, welbutrin, zyban, and those fake (nicotine laden)cigarettes. I never went a day without a cigarette. Had some health problems from smoking that I'd been trying to ignore. One of my friends whose story paralleled mine told me she had quit by using chantix. I got very hopeful, decided I'd try it. Set my quit day, planned it for when I could hopefully sleep through the first few days, and started taking the chantix. Kept smoking for the first week..not as much as I had been, but didn't deny myself a cig during that week...actually had 3 packs of cigs left by my quit date. I did it on my own for the first few days, found this site on day three I think. I used reading and posting, and some of the "dealing with cravings" tips, filled out the glove box, and just rode it out. By the end of the first week I was having very few cravings, and could identify what triggered them..mostly old associations...finishing or taking a break from a task, finishing work, driving. And now? Every few weeks or so it seems I have an upsurge of a crave, but you know what? I've developed some good strategies for dealing with them, and they go away! I recently went on a trip and knew I wouldn't have much puter access, so I printed out a list of self-talk to use..and I did use that list a few times...and remained smoke-free It is truly amazing to me that I havent smoked a cigarettte for over two months....it was so much a part of my life...and don't want to, ever again. Even when I feel like smoking one, the part of me that doesn't want to speaks so much louder. Please tell your friend that he can stop smoking if he wants to. Nothing will change in his life other than being healthier, richer, and being free of the addiction. I'll be another one of his quit buddy if he wants me to. aloha to you and to him -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $428.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I talked with a friend about a month ago that wants to quit smoking. I told him I quit cold turkey. However, I recommended chantix to him, because of hearing of all the high praises this drug has gotten, and has helped so many people quit. To make a long story short. I saw him tonight. This is the very first time I've saw him since I had recommended the chantix. He told me he has been taking it now for 3 weeks and he's still smoking. He drives a semi otr for a living. Does this mean chantix doesn't work for everyone? He did say his cigs are starting to taste a little bad, but not much. I guess chantix doesn't work for everyone. Or he may just not have the desire to quit. I don't know. He seems sincere. It's like he had a look of hopelessness in his eyes. I told him to join the forum. Don't know how much time he can be on here though because of his job. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,925 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $292.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$21,888.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 765 Hours: 13

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: