Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Are You an Older Smoker Trying to Quit?

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for looking Mercy And thanks for the congrats..but fast?..not to me...lol -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $428.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you mercy. I quit @ an even 50. Put alot of hard miles on this body. Now just want to make it to the next day. Been close, now it time to take care of myself. Weight is down able to walk more and it hope is that it will only get better. Now that I'm a non-smoker. John [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aloha First off.......GREAT STATS!! WOW...THAT HAPPEND FAST!! Stay tuned....I'll work hard to find the information you'd like. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 123 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,460 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $549.81 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not trying..I'm doing it Mercy Can you find more info on the recuperative aspects after a period of time? I've seen some of the more common ones about breathing better, etc, but I have searched and searched and can't find anything on the condition of our lungs after quitting. I think that would be motivating for many. -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $428.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
16 years ago 0 832 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Rusty.........well now I smoked for 58 years, had no trouble with the quit and at first no thoughts about quitting ever entered my thought process, I just quit and that was the end of it. Benefits, well they are many and while they are too numerous to list I can say that I now enjoy jumping out of 2nd story bedroom windows again and no longer have to take the stairs. I play a full 18 holes without tiring even if Pete has to carry the clubs and beer. My doctor only wants to see me once a year unless I try to fry chicken or fight pit bulls and then I can come in as needed. Pete and I neck a lot and play a lot as we no longer stink with smoke UGH. Thanks for the heads up mercy and keep up the great posts. Duffis [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 829 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,870 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,487.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 179 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$283,837.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6812 Hours: 3

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let me tell you the good news about being an older quitter. And I think there are several who can back me up here. We have people in their 50s, 60s and 70s who have quit smoking and have a new lease on life. We have learned that we are not doomed to being old before our time. We have learned that anything is possible. We have taken on new adventures because we are healthier now and in control. Not one of us is sitting and smoking anymore. Ask Duffis. Ask Nan. Ask Luna. Ask me. All of us are out there, doing things we never dreamed we would ever do. I'm sure that none of us spends our time reading all the negative stuff about smoking. We have put it behind us. We have moved forward. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 891 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,948 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,118.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 125 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$54,808.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 5

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy I just know there must be some good news in there for me ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,152 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $640.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good topic Mercy. I'm not an older quitter but I've found that most my age that smoke, are not trying to quit either. I'm glad I didn't wait until I was in my 50's to quit. Lady [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 691 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,418.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 62 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think for a bunch of us this falls into our catogory!! Older smokers are more likely to quit for good than younger smokers. Older smokers often begin to experience physical symptoms such as shortness of breath and coughing which signal the damage smoking causes. They've also spent years developing a loathing for the habit they now feel chained to. Once an older smoker quits, along with improved health, there is also often a feeling of relief and gratitude. And that feeds long-term success. Smokers, especially those over 50 years old, are more likely to feel tired, have shortness of breath, and experience a persistent cough.These symptoms often signal the onset of COPD, which includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Because COPD is usally slow to develop, it doesn't bother most people until they've been smoking for many years. Older male smokers are nearly twice as likely to die from stroke as older men who do not smoke. The odds are nearly as high for older female smokers. Cigarette smokers of any age have a 70% greater heart disease death rate than do nonsmokers. Most smokers, even younger ones want to quit smoking. What keeps them from quitting? Fear of being irritable, nervous and tense. Fear that nicotine withdrawal symptoms will be more than they can manage. Fear that life will be boring without their smokes. Not good reasons, any of them, but nicotine addiction clouds a person's thinking. Once free, people usually look back and wonder why they didn't quit sooner. The discomforts associated with smoking cessation are all temporary. Older smokers usually do smoke more than younger people. They are also more likely to smoke brands of cigarettes that have high nicotine levels. The longer a person smokes, the less appealing it becomes. And, as mentioned above, older smokers are more inclined to quit smoking permanently. They may have smoking-related symptoms that make denial of the damage smoking causes impossible. Thanks to the healing powers of the human body, many long-term smokers will notice significant improvements once they quit. One out of five adults over the age of 50 smokes cigarettes. That amounts to more than 11 million smokers in the United States - a quarter of the nation's 43 million smokers. Approximately 25% of the U.S. population still smokes. Are lifelong smokers more likely to die of a smoking-related illness? Coronary heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S., and the leading cause of death caused by smoking. Smoking is hard on the heart. Smoking also increases the risk of dying from lung cancer or emphysema, along with numerous other smoking-related diseases. The risk of dying from lung cancer is much higher for smokers than nonsmokers: 22 times higher for men, and 12 times higher for women. Quit now. Every day you dedicate to this habit steals more of your life from you and from those who love you. Don't fall for the misguided thinking that it's too late for you to quit smoking. That's nicotine addiction talking - what's called junkie thinking. It's never too late to quit smoking. As soon as you put down that last cigarette, the benefits begin. Quit now! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 122 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $545.34 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5

Reading this thread: