Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Did We Forget Our Skin?

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean, I'm not a doctor ....but I do know that they become larger when lower than your heart. Also...warmer weather can make them swell. People who workout with weights will show larger veins. Do they hurt? Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 115 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $514.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the educational information :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
...and for those just starting out on this journey, you'll find that your skin looks so much better after only a week or so!! Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 457 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,718 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �3427.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 74 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
16 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dr. Mercy, you seem to be the 'go to' person when it comes to all of these factoids.. Can you answer this >>> I've noticed for several weeks now that the veins in my wrists, inside my elbow and on the top of my feet are now pronounced. Is this because of the increased blood flow - therefore more oxygen to the blood due to not smoking ? Jean [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,055 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $430.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
EEEEEEEK! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 281 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,183 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1475.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW Mercy!!! Thanks for the info!!! In all this time and with all of the research I've done on smoking and quitting, I didn't know that! Thanks for the wonderful information!!! You really are a gem and all of the great facts you present here are so valuable! Thanks for sharing this with us! crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 697 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,448 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2878.61 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The amount of vitamin C destroyed per cigarette smoked varies, depending on who you talk to, but general consensus seems to be that one cigarette destroys about 50 mg of vitamin C. Smoking cigarettes reduces the efficiency with which the skin can regenerate itself � smoking causes the constriction of the blood vessels at the top layers of the skin which in turn reduces blood supply to the skin. It is the reduced blood supply which causes a reduction in the availability of oxygen (which is necessary for all living cells) and the removal of waste products, dead cell fragments etc� which provide the necessary environment for regeneration. Cigarette smoking causes the blood vessels at the top layers of the skin to constrict and so reducing the oxygen level in the blood there. This thickens the blood and reduces the levels of collagen in the skin (it is actually because of this that smoking is also associated with slow or incomplete healing of wounds). In fact, smoking a single cigarette can produce cutaneous (pertaining to the skin) vasoconstriction (decrease in the calibre of blood vessels) for up to 90 minutes. One study suggests that blood flow in the thumb decreases about 24% after smoking one cigarette and by 29% after two cigarettes. Another study suggested that digital (finger) blood flow fell by an average of 42% after smoking one cigarette. A further study found that smoking for 10 minutes decreases tissue oxygen tension for almost an hour and concluded that the typical pack-a-day smoker would remain hypoxic* for most of each day. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,298 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $509.58 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: