Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,667 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

I haven't given up

17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jnine, I'm sorry to hear that you slipped. If I were you I would reset my meter but that is up to you. If you don't you are fooling yourself and the next time you come in a bad situation you will allow yourself to have a couple of puffs again because you did it once and it didn't matter much. Well, in my opinion it matters a lot because smoking is smoking. One puff or two puffs...it still is smoking. You made the decision to smoke and that was your choice and you cannot blame someone else. The next time count to 10 and wait till the urge to smoke is going away, then you will be proud of yourself for not giving in. Good luck. Dutch :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 399 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,973 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1177.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 55 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jnine, This is definitely a tough situation, but here's the thing. Your inner junkie is the one who makes you feel like a social outcast when ever everybody else is smoking and you're not... most likely, it's not the people around you smoking that make you feel that way. Seriously. I have been in that situation many, many, many times... dated smokers and all their friends were smokers... it was hard. But the good news is that the more you do that without smoking, the easier it becomes. Now, it doesn't even phase me to be in a room full of smokers and be the only one not smoking... but it does take time. Learn from your mistakes. Do NOT make the same ones over and over and over again. You KNOW that you want to be a non-smoker... then do whatever you can to make that happen. Do NOT drink if you are in that situation... at least in the beginning. That might also be hard to do, but you're quit is on the line if you drink when you are around smokers and want to smoke. Also, tell all of your smoking friends that they are NOT allowed to give you a cigarette under any circumstances. If they're your friends, they'll understand. I wish you the best and I hope that that "slip" is the only one you ever have... please don't go down that road and keep having "just one or two" when you REALLY "need" it... because we ALL understand how that rational hurts us in the end. Don't be another victim. Crave the Quit! [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterfly2.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 686 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2833.18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jnine - There is no such thing as a slight slip... Smoking is smoking and being quit is not smoking. Get your quit and you grounded so you have a handle, friend. There just aren't any excuses - only choices. I spent a year makiing sure not to put myself in harm's way, so that means that for one year or longer I protected my quit with my life. That is what one needs to do to stay quit. You slipped because you chose to smoke. That's the truth. Now you can make more choices, jnine - remember, dear one, smoking IS a choice that we make or not each moment of every single day. I'm not you but I will share this w/you. I have a no -slip, first-time quit, cold turkey. I don't smoke, and I don't put myself in what I know will be vulnerable situations regarding smoking. Why wuold I do that to myself? Period. I would also reset my meter, but that is me.... I want you to have a successful quit, and being honest with self is VERY important in this quit process... Now, it's up to you! NO excuses. If ya smoke, ya smoke - it's a choice! Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 425 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,878 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1976.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 55 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
J Wish I could help I know how tough it is... You MUSt stop thinking about it Keep busy busy busy...... If the reunion worries you don't go me x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 269 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,919 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1412.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow. You have some decisions to make, don't you? If it were me, and I knew I was vulnerable, I would not go. If that is not an option, then I would definately not drink. Drinking lowers your inhibitions and you are more likely to act on desires that you normally can keep under control. Although....sounds like a pretty cool place. An old barn converted to a saloon------like a speakeasy in prohibition. I'd like a Wild Turkey and coke.........(diet Coke, of course!) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 237 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,896 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1896 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 247 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all and thanks for response. I have been gone a few days just kicking my own butt. Have been doing alot of thinking and how I could have done things different. As you know I had a slight slip this last weekend and had a couple puffs off a cigeratte. Yea so stupid. I was the only one not smoking and had a couple to many beers and gave in. I am not making excusses for myself but I couldn't leave the situtation because there was no where to go. We were at an old barn of my husbands cousins that they have fixed up into a old saloon. Kitchen bar everything even a tapper. I could have gone out and sat in the car but not a good idea. I need ideas of how to get threw the family reunion at the end of the month at the same place. I hope there will at least SOMEONE there that doesn't smoke. I need ideas I haven't smoked since and don't plan to. Jnine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $299.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43

Reading this thread: