Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Getting Focussed???

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh heck yes!!! I've thought about it a lot and wish I'd been smart enough to say, "No" when a friend offered me a cigarette back in high school. I said no to all of those other drugs and never got into drinking much because I didn't develop a taste for it. I flat dropped the ball when I was offered that cigarette though. I feel like writing my friend a strongly worded letter. ha ha ha ha Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 628 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $39 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Windy, I'm not sure what's going on there but I'm sure someone will be coming along shortly with more answers or ideas for you. I've always doodled during classes even long before I smoked. They say, and I believe this, that if it's an attention deficit problem, it normally hits girls born in the summer and boys born in the spring. I was born in the summer, August in fact. My youngest son has ADD and he was born in May. I'm not saying that's what you have. Believe me, there a lot of things that could cause you to lose concentration. STRESS is one of the biggest reasons. Have you been feeling stress/anxiety or have you been prone to have anxiety problems during your life? My brother, was having trouble concentrating. It really scared me because he's in his late 50's and has always been an excellent guitarist. He sat down one day to play and suddenly, he couldn't remember the next cord to make on a song that he's played a thousand times. It kept happening to him until he sat the guitar down out of frustration. When he told me about it, I was scared but didn't let on. I recommended that he start taking a good multi-vitamin. I only said to comfort him but told him that if the vitamins didn't help, that he should talk to his doctor. The vitamins helped. He's back to playing like he always did. So, are you taking vitamins? Hun, it can be something so simple. You should talk to your doctor about it and I'll bet you'll feel a lot better. I'll bet it's something simple. Proper diet is a major factor. Most of us stink at following a proper diet. Keep me posted. Okay? You have an amazing quit there, girl. I'm so impressed!!!! Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 615 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $39 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Tutti - You know I wish that I could remember what I was like before I was a smoker. I didn't have any problems learning...but I know that I was a doodler even in public school. I'm trying to pull this presentation together, I have all the ideas but I can't seem to focus. I have "gotten by" at work (without smoking)for years now....but I can honestly say that I still get antsy trying to pull a report together. When I did reports before I smoked and, for some reason, my concentration was better. I have no intention of starting to smoke again. We know that nicotine does not contain a magic "concentration drug" so why did the act of smoking help me focus??? Tutti...you are right...I was born in August but I'm pretty old to finally discover that I have ADHD (but then who knows??) My diet's probably better than it ever was (tons of fruits and vegetables to lose that extra weight). I don't know whether I need a replacement or if I just have to get on with it and do it. Don't you wish we were alot smarter way back when and we never started smoking at all. It's amazing that I am relearning how to do a report at my age. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 173 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,476 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $865 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
Well - I'm almost there but I have one more issue. Quitting is getting easier as each day goes by...I don't think about smoking constantly, I hardly ever yell and scream, don't have those bone crunching cravings anymore BUT I can't seem to get focussed especially when it comes to writing reports. (I do it at work without smoking because I have to - in fact smoking hasn't been an option for a long time at work - but I realize that I have trouble staying focussed and probably always have....By the end of the day, I have almost nil concentration) Right now I have to pull a presentation together (not work related) and I am having a difficult time....I don't know if it's some kind of attention deficit thing or what??? When I was in university, I used to chain-smoke while I wrote papers (some burning away without even getting smoked). When I was in classes or if I sit through presentations, I doodle. I think perhaps it's a "concentration" thing. I've spent the first 100 + days taking it easy at the end of the day but it's time that I got going. Does anybody else have some tips for improving concentration/focus?? I'm kinda struggling here. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 173 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,473 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $865 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
Thanks you guys (So sorry you have stinky breath Gonna - Is it kinda like George's?) Last night, I decided that I was going to get up and work on the presentation first thing while my mind was still working and, guess what??? It worked - I have more or less pulled it together. The same thing happens at work - I seem to do better if I try to do my paperwork first thing (Unfortunately...my day is usually so busy that I don't get to the paperwork until the END of the day) I don't know why mornings are better - Maybe I'm more alert or maybe it's because I get to reward/distract myself with several cups of coffee. Hmmmm...perhaps the caffeine may be an issue... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 174 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,495 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $870 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, My concentration isn't the best right now, however, I'm that much further behind you. I went to doctor's on Friday to get my wellbutrin renewed, told him I was closing in on 2 months smoke free. He was so happy that I'm actually doing it this time. When we talked about concentration and motivation he was very clear and specific. I told him my concentration isn't where it should be and at times my motivation just isn't there. All part of the process, he tells me. Both are very common occurrences. In fact he said if I tried standing on my head in a valiant effort to get them back, nothing would happen. He was just kidding but the point was - these things will come back in their own time. You simply CANNOT force them. Being that smoking is such a strong and powerful addiction, returning to the way we want to be takes some time. His best advice to me was this: BE PATIENT, VERY VERY PATIENT. I don't know if this helps you any but I hope so. You're quit is awesome! Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $450 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whew! I've struggled with this as well. I keep reading about foods that boost your memory. I eat salmon and fish and berries more than ever before (Omega 3's) and all I got to show for it is fish breath and a Smurf's blue tongue! :p Let me know if you come across a cure! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 177 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,854 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1416 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, At this point in your quit, it is probably best to consult your doctor. Smoking does have a way of masking certain illnesses. Until your consult, break up your large task into smaller ones, taking short pauses in between. Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: