Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Here's an interesting article

17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Short-term health benefits You might know that there are meaningful benefits of quitting that begin after 24 hours. Within the first day your blood pressure and pulse return to normal, and your blood�s oxygen and carbon monoxide levels return to normal. This means you have reduced your risk of having a heart attack in just one day. Within two days, your sense of smell and taste improves. And after three days your breathing becomes easier and your lung capacity increases. Within four weeks your blood circulation improves and your lungs work better. Soon after, walking becomes easier, your energy level increases, and your coughing and sinus congestion decrease. After a year, your risk of heart disease is only half that of someone who continues to smoke. Long-term health benefits The long term benefits of quitting smoking are surprising to many smokers. Did you know that the damage done by years of smoking can be reversed? It�s true. After one year, your risk of heart disease is only half that of someone who continues to smoke. Within three years of quitting, your risk of a heart attack is about the same as someone who has never smoked. Within five years, your risk of developing cancers of the mouth, esophagus, throat, and bladder decrease by 50%. After 10 years of being smoke-free you reap big benefits. Your pre-cancerous cells are replaced by healthy normal cells and your chances of getting lung cancer are reduced by 50-70%. And, after 15 years of smoke-free living your life expectancy is similar to someone who has never smoked.
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whynot - Thanks for the Information! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 118 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $26 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,325.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 10

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Freebird's info is really scary! Does anyone have those medical facts about what happens when you quit...I use to have them. It tells you what happens after a day of not smoking, then a week, etc.. (shows how your body is repairing itself). ? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 114 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $26 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,325.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 10

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This kinda puts the smoking thing in perspective and reasons to quit. First Cigarette You inhale 4,000 chemicals, 40 of which are cancer causing. The throat and trachea swell and redden. After 10 Seconds The nicotine is acting on the brain's pleasure centres, producing a "hit". The average smoker takes 10 drags per cigarette, which means 200 inhalations a day if you smoke twenty cigarettes. Tenth Cigarette The throat and trachea are now producing a stream of mucus in an attempt to carry away all the toxins . You will start to get a phlemgy cough and your lungs will now contain traces of unabsorbable tar, rich in carcinogenic chemicals. After 6 Months of Smoking Lungs will show long term inflammation . Chemicals from the cigarettes will have reached all parts of the body via the bloodstream. Salivia and urine will show clear levels of cotinine, a chemical that is formed from nicotine. One Year Later By now you will probably be coughing up sputum regularly. After 10 Years Your lungs will be pitted and will be much smaller than those of a non smoker. Carbon deposits will have built up turning the lungs black. Freebird~'~ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 157 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $659.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW! after 45 years it's a wonder I got any lungs left! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 975 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $320 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 301 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Freebird, that makes for some very scary reading. What strikes me is that now I have quit, I wonder why the hell did I ever smoke. Those statistics are just awful. But when I was smoking thinhgs liek that seemed to be unreal, and somehow wre an acceptable risk which you took when smoking. I must have been mad !!! How anybody could accept risks like that is unbeleiveable. Cheers KiwiKeith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 152 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,821 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1763.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing! Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: