Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

new medication advice needed...

17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh 2 Tone thank you for sharing that! I was taking one a day and not fnished the 12 weeks and felt "Oh, I'm doing great" then had a fight with my husband (big one) and went out and bought cigarettes! Had I been taking them 2x as I should have I wonder if I would have passed that darn store! I've passed it a million times!!! angry, frustrated, so I'm back on them 2x a day and going another 12 weeks if I have to and I plan to wean for sure when I stop. You're so right about the doctors - my doctor knows NOTHING about it and the pharmacist is not much better. I'll have to do my own research. Marie
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone - Here's my Chantix story: I was a 30+ year, 2 pack-a-day smoker. Chantix helped me quit. It has been wonderful. I had a 2 month follow-up with my MD. He told me that when 12 weeks were up, just quit taking them. I think that was last week. Day one off Chantix, I was fine and didn't think about it one bit. Day two, I did have some abnormal thoughts and cravings for a smoke. Thoughts that I haven't had in months. Day three, I woke up with nausea and a flu-like feeling...and still craved a smoke. I put two and two together and took a Chantix. I felt better in a few hours. A coincidence? I'm not sure. I don't think my MD has a clue about Chantix. I think I'm going to taper off over a few weeks. I'll keep all of you posted. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $495 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$357,580.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9148 Hours: 19

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Little J's mom, Some chantix users experience a few days of adjustment, others do not. Every quitter is different. The best thing you can do is to prepare for your step down by getting back to basics and employing the same strategies that got your through those first few weeks. Members, Please share your experiences coming off Chantix. Danielle ________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm glad to see this thread kept active. I'm just ahead of Trish (as I discovered on another board. Hi trish!) and, like her, I seemed to have replaced all my old fears of "quitting smoking" with extreme nervousness about "quitting chantix" ::sigh:: Ridiculous to be worrying about this now, today, I know that but I find myself getting worried that something drastic is going to happen and maybe I should go for another month after the 12 weeks. Or something drastic is going to happen if I don't wean off. Or something drastic is going to happen if I *do* wean off. I've been full bent on acclimating myself to being non-smoker. On previous quit attempts, I avoided places and things that caused me to smoke and this time I've been actively seeking them out. I figured it's never going to get any easier to deal with them for the "first time" than it is now, on Chantix, and so I've been looking for every opportunity to expand my comfort zones in areas to include not smoking. I'm hoping this comfort zone expansion makes all the difference. Or, I should say, right now it seems as if it is the complete difference. I don't feel like someone "trying to quit" smoking or someone "waiting to be an ex-smoker"... I feel like a non-smoker. I think the fact that I'm so actively not worrying about those situations, that I need to fill up that worry space with Chantix worries. Because I'm crazy like that! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 749 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $230 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$221,359.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6007 Hours: 3

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't read the replies! But, I started on it December 25, 2006, was sick as a dog for a week, hung in there and adjusted to the med in about 2 weeks. I'm going off it now, in fact if I forget to take one, I'm amazed. It was easy for me to get over that sick feeling that I wouldn't be able to get off them. They were a miracle pill for me (along with the firm desire to stop). Good luck, I hope you can hang in there. Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $562.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was having the same problem and found that taking my pills with a couple of tablespoons of yogurt was the answer for me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,735 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Auntdeb, I'm on my last week and I was wondering about Jeckyll & Hyde. Good to know to expect "Nothing" Cheers! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,252 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $173.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gottadoit: Thanks so much for getting back w/ me. I've read in more than one place that staying quit results are increased if a patient takes Chantix 24 weeks. Chantix is working for me....I love it....and I do not want to fail this time. As I think I said, I feel like a non-smoker (which I have been for 1 month and 2 days) and it's wonderful. I - quite literally - have never felt better in my life and it's been soooooooooooooo very easy. I'm just scared to death that when I stop the rx in 12 weeks, then I'm gonna have a bad time of it. That's my rationale for possibly continuing for a total of 24 weeks. No matter how long I take it, I'm definitely gonna taper off as opposed to just stopping. I wish I could just not worry about it this far out and be pleased (which I am) with the fantastic results so far. Oh well....maybe I just need something to fret about. PS: I've heard lots and lots about nausea associated w/ Chantix. I haven't had a moment's problem. I always take it on a full stomach and with 16 oz. of water. The biggest problem (if one wants to call it a problem) was for the first 11 days I was so tired....and like a zombie. But....it passed and wasn't bad. The cravings for nicotine have been more like urges and totally manageable. For me, it's been magic. I've never seen anything quite like it.
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi: I, too, am a Chantix user. Started the rx on 2/7/07 and have been smoke free since 2/13/07. It's been an easy quit for me -- have had none of the really bad side effects some have talked about. I love being a non-smoker!! In fact, it's like I never smoked, when - in reality - I had a 45 year addiction. Even tho I've got another two months to go on the rx, I'm seriously considering staying on it 4 month or maybe even 6 and start tapering off in the 5th month. I've heard some scary things about what it's when stopping the Chantix and I don't wanna take any chances. Gonnadoit: did you just stop or did you taper off? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Congrats to all who are making an effort - or even thinking about it -- towards being a quitter.
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi SweetT, I haven't experienced any nausea but I have been careful to take it after eating something, and drinking a lot of water and tea (i know, not the best choice). However, I was wondering the same thing today. What happens when you stop taking it? I plan on doing the first 3 months, but honestly, I don't know if I will need even that much time with the pills. Our friends here will let us know what they have experienced when quitting. MomMom [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 191 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $29.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: