Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Mixed feelings about the holidays..

17 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Monica, you are bound to feel confused, so much is happening in your life right now. You have lost your Dad, I don't think you are allowing yourself to grieve yet - that will have to happen, but all in the fullness of time. Quitting can also be similar to divorce (which in turn is like bereavement) because we finally have to admit that the relationship is over, and how controlling and one-sided that relationship was. But nevertheless it can still leave a sadness for a faithless "friend" lost. I understand your need to celebrate the holidays, that too is a natural part of the grieving process. There are many cultures that this becomes formalised - for instance the Celtic people, like the Irish, who will hold a wake. Likewise it has become common at funeral services (I'm sure in your faith too) to say "we are here today to [b]celebrate[/b] the life of..." Yes, you are right to feel proud of your quit, and yes, it is natural to feel conflict and possibly guilt that you are happy about something when you feel you ought to be sad about something else. Right now you are not allowing yourself to think about anything in great detail, that is your natural defences kicking in. There may be a crash or maybe just a gradual winding down of your current frenetic activity. When you do have a quieter moment, maybe it would be a good time to write a goodbye letter to cigarettes? This can be private or posted here, whichever seems right to you. Finally, please remember, this is a great thing you have done for yourself, your family and your dad - you do deserve to have some happiness (and your dad would have been the first to say that) and reward for your achievement, please enjoy the holidays as best as you can :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/16/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 728 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 23,324 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �4368 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 95 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$32,328.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 689 Hours: 17

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 407 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In hopes and maybe adding another tool to your bag, I recommend the following book: 'Do not take my grief away.' By Manning You can order it on Amazon used for a couple of dollars. I give that book much credit to helping me through the early stages of Judy's passing. It really does go hand in hand with the quitting as it helps you to belance your thoughts and makes the grief more manageable...thus, less stress. Good luck, Lindsey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/10/2001 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1922 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 115,345 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19220 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 396 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$122,655.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8386 Hours: 19

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Monica, Your determination is outstanding! By keeping occupied you will fair well and keep that nicodemon away. Make sure you take some you time to relax yourself and your mind and body. You have been through a lot and you deserve some time to yourself. We are here if you need us so take the time to enjoy the holidays :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: