Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

What can i do!

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quitted 5 weeks ago, but I have a horrible crutch, I smoke a couple of nicotine free cigarettes a Week and chew a couple of Nicorette gums a day. I am determined to quit forever, but I tried the cigarettes 4 weeks into the quitting and if I have not tried this smokes, I will be smoking regular tobacco cigarettes. The cigarettes are horrible, but they take my mind out of the real ones, and help me to stop thinking (obsessing) about tobacco. Am I blowing it, or you think I will make it?. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 678 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $39 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I'm reading your posts here and wonder, we all have parents who smoke and are very much addicted to the point of being sick. I wonder what the stats are on this thing being genetic. Or is it that we've been brought up in an environment of smoke and that got us addicted? :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 793 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $208 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sofis, it's ok to use the Gum, but please quit the smokes, have you read what they contain, Hurks tried them and they contained I think .05 mg of nicotine. Anyway the thing is you are still putting smoke into your lungs and that creates carbon monoxyde, very bad for you. Chew more gum if you have to but don't smoke. You see you have to free yourself of the habit of inhaling and holding a cigarette in your hand, chewing the gum will ease your withdrawel symptoms and give you time to work on making new habits, healthier ones. And when you feel ready you quit the gum, it will be much easier then. Have you worked the tools on the left? Do you drink lots of water? Come on you can do this one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 794 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $208 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 311 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Jeanigirl, my dad is exactly like your mom! I really can't offer any advice, because I'm stumped too. No one can stand to be around my dad when he coughs b/c it sounds like he's gonna keel over right there. He takes a puff of a cig, and just coughs through the rest and puts it out. Everyone has been on his case again lately and he picked up some new drug to help him quit, but I know he won't prepare himself mentally for it. He's waiting for a magic pill and won't work for the quit. I don't want to be the reformed smoker preaching to him, but I did buy him the Allen Carr book yesterday. I haven't given it to him yet. I haven't decided how I will talk to him about quitting without him getting totally defensive and shutting me out. I do think he is scared s**tless right now, just lost a family member to lung cancer. I'm hoping I can just get him to read the book, but I don't expect it. Magic can happen, can't it? Andrea [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,178 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $275.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all, i thought i would post to see if someone has some imput for me. My mom just finished a visit with me and my family from over sea's, she was here 1 month we had a great time lots of retail therapy, she's a great women. My mom is 69 years old, a smoker, with a chest that scares me, and made me feel sick at times listening to the morning cough, hack hack... of course i have tried many times to get her to quit, she says she can't... she thinks she has just bronchitus, she won't admit it,s emphasema, she uses an inhaler, and steroids.... it makes me sad only because i know what she is instore for... i just needed to vent a little... she is so proud of my quit, and always encouraging, i just had to say how horrifying this addiction is, even to the point were someone can not even breath......the good thing is that when my kids wanted me to quit all those times, i now understand there fear......as i fear for my mom....all the best jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 739 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $266 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marie, I smoked and I have 3 out of 4 kids that smoked. My parents both smoked and I smoke. I think it is partly being raised in the environment with smoke, and partly the addictive personality is genetic. My mother has copd and she can barely walk at all from the couch to the bathroom. She uses oxygen and everything. It is really miserable. She is completly helpless and I have to basically do everything for her. Well, she was still smoking when I quit. I just couldn't see doing this to my kids. So she smoked while I quit for about 3 weeks. It was hard and she even smoked in my car while we were going to the store. I had such a hard time staying quit that way. My daughter who is 16 also was still smoking so I had cigarettes in my house. Then I had a slip and they saw my misory over it. I had to reset my meter. I would be at 65 days if not for that slip. I cryed and cryed, even felt a bit suicidal. I got back on my quit and a week later they both decided to quit. So they are both over 30 days now. I believe that soon my sons will both try to quit also. They live on thier own so I don't have to worry about it but really want them to quit. They are very supportive of us though. anyways, my mom will never get better, but quitting smoking will help it not get worse. I am really proud of her. Love, mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,938 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $273.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$74,936.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6523 Hours: 21

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow this thread brings tears to my eyes. I was 'the one' that everyone wanted to see quit. Now I know how they felt. I never meant to hurt any of them. Amazing what drug addiction does to us. It makes the drug more important to us than our loved ones. It's truly sad. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,551 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $340 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$54,499.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 18

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sofis, Start thinking about what kind of replacements you can find for the inhaler. A straw perhaps? When you feel ready you can start cutting down on the gum by replacing it with regular gum or by only chewing half of the gum. Take it one step at a time and find the best coping mechanism that will help you fight cravings. Marie, I will pull out some research on this topic for you and post it in a seperate thread. Danielle __________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jeanigirl, Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I am in nursing so I can relate to how you're feeling. I have seen people suffer from the devastating effects of this horrible addiction more times than I care to remember! Please feel free to lean on us anytime. Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jeaniegirl. My dad is 60 and he does the same thing but refuses to go to the doctor or anything. I ask him if the breathing hurts (you can hear him from another room) and he says "sometimes". I have talked to him about quitting and he even gave it a shot a couple of times. Unfortunately, just as no one could quit for us, we cannot quit for anyone either. We love our parents but we can't make decisions for them. It is their Choice just as it is our choice to quit. I know your mom is proud of you just as my dad is proud of me. Enjoy your mother for as long as she is around. Cherish the moments you can share together. I had a couple of threads several months ago when I was going through what you are. "And He Coughs and He Coughs Part II" If you want to search for them. It was really hard for me. I had to let go and let my dad live his own life. Focus on YOUR quit. You are doing an awesome job! I hope this helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 399 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,998 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1396.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: