Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

I'm concerned

17 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cybrduke - you are so right! It's what you do with the crave that is most important, not just the fact that you have one. I quit smoking for 2-1/2 years, up until last summer. I'm not sure whether it was the craves that did me in, or relaxing my vigilence, or thinking that "just one" was not going to send me back over the brink (which it did, obviously). Maybe all of the above. I know this time to expect the craves, and the mind games. I learned a very good lesson over the last year. I must always be vigilent, and always on my guard - regardless of how long "after" it is time-wise. It was so much harder to make the decision to quit this time - because I knew it HAD to be the last. Over the last while, I am happy to report that I can go longer stretches every day without even thinking about smoking, and have stopped some of the automatic reflexes in situations where I used to smoke - drinking coffee, driving, sitting on my deck, doing yard work, heck - just about anything . . . before. A very good subject. It takes a whole lot longer to get unhooked from smoking than it ever did to get started. sushik [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,090 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $387 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had to get some liquorice after reading this! Navigator. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 551 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $97.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are so right Cybrduke. I know someone that went back to smoking after SEVEN YEARS of non smoking. Why who knows? All I know is that I might always think about it, but so what? As long as i dont action it I am fine. I have wondered if some people need to relapse a few times to know that if they do, then their quit is back at day one and how awful that is. You soon get tired of going back to day 1 over and over again. I do believe that it is in the mind (esp after the nicotine has gone) you have the power of your mind, and therefore have the power to distract yourself. How bad is it going to be? Well that really is up to you, its as bad as you allow it to be. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 788 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �232.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am trying to look at it as a life long struggle very much like controling your weight. Those are the two issues I will always have to keep in mind. Smoking and food. I am soooo proud of myself that right now, I am doing good on both of those fronts. The only major difference between these two things is that in smoking, I can NOT slip, where as weight, it is not going to hurt to have a luzury every now and again. Maybe it is more like an alcoholic or something. NO SLIPPING EVER ALLOWED. To me that is the secret. Don't ever let that enter your mind as even a possiblity. That's what made me slip before, and if I did it, it would do it again. I hear even here about so many people who relapse after more than a year of non smoking life, so you have to figure that the thoughts and craves are still there. You can't ever let your guard down. Love, Mama Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,018 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $142.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$74,931.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6523 Hours: 12

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My first two weeks of quitting cucked. I was full of fear before and during that time. At 2 months quit, I do not crave a cigarette at all. They are disgusting and I can not believe that I ever smoked in the first flippin' place. I have smoking memories/triggers ... but I do not allow them to turn into a want/crave for a cigarette. For example: last night when I got out of seeing a movie, I saw others lighting up as soon as they broke through the exit doors. I thought to myself "Ugh! That use to be me ... how gross!" Then I smiled and continued on to my car with my child who I no longer expose to second hand poison/smoke. I did not want/crave having a smoke at all. Everyone's quit is different. Remember: there is nothing wrong with you if you do not have craves and there is nothing wrong with you if you do have craves. Be happy for the ones that don't and reach out a hand for the ones that do. Helping and supporting each other is what it is all about. Just don't smoke ... this is our true goal. Think like a non-smoker. Change your mind/perspective and change your life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,878 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $248 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 10

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice and believe me if it gets to that point you are darn right the patch goes back on!!!! For right now I am having irritating symptoms but I am okay. Reading like this helps [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 110 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$203,450.24

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6490 Hours: 13

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After reading several posts and getting feed back I decided I wanted to withdrawal totally so I took off my Patch about 4 and 1/2 hours ago plus I am on day 3. Okay so like mega withdrawal. Now it is tired, Headache, foggy and muscle twitches weird huh? I just want to be rid of it. Then I read this and I agree it is a process and it took me 27 years of 2 packs a day to get there. Now I am 3 days and so many hours into living with out it. I feel like a child in some ways learning to live without. There is no where else to go but straight through this. :confuse: Sue [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 109 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$203,450.24

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6490 Hours: 13

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cybrduke, Point taken. And if it's just a question of recognising the reason for the craze, laughing it off and moving on, then I'm sure we'll both be OK! take care my friend Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 150 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,519 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1125 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cybrduke, I like reading your posts. Don't get me wrong and I understand what you are saying, but be careful... There's a danger on this one encouraging junkie thinking. We have all read posts from the Elders here which refer to craves popping up now and then, but I'm not sure about the rest of your life. I know a few 10 year quitters and NONE of them have the slightest crave now. I'm in the same 'quit bracket' as you, and like you I still get craves sometimes but firmly believe that I will never smoke again. The other point you make - there is no quick fix - I totally believe in. I have got here by toughing it out and listening to those further done the road to recovery. I don't feel I need anybody's help now, but I will stick around and see what I can do for other best wishes to you Cybrduke - I know that you will succeed Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 150 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,518 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1125 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As long as you acknowledge them and the push them aside they will go away. I know I have had a very strange 3 day crave and hoping after today I can bid farewell to the slump! It is a life long journey! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $265.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8

Reading this thread: