Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Second-Class Citizens....

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started smoking when I was too young to know any better. I obviously became addicted. I believed the lies about how smoking was so hard to quit that I was afraid of failure. Finally I stopped being afraid of being afraid. I finally committed to quitting. I quit for quit a few reasons. One of the reasons I quit was because smoking is disgusting. Everything about it is dirty and gross. I knew it was disgusting when I was a smoker and I know it doubly as a non-smoker. So hearing a smoker yell out "Here comes that person who hates tobacco. Let's all get out of his way" sounds asinine to me. Even with her eyes closed she knows tobacco smoke is a dirty, disgusting poison. In my opinion she just wants to shift her guilt to someone else. Whatever helps to keep her eyes closed, right? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 720 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $96 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$54,499.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 18

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 385 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I never thought that I wouldn't quit. I avoided all situations in which I would have to be around non-smokers. If I had to, I was always apologetic and tried to minimize blowing smoke anywhere near them. So, I do know about being apologetic and lessened by smoking, but I certainly would not be offensive. I always considered smoking around non-smokers offensive, because even as a smoker, I hated being around smokers when I wasn't smoking. :) Mira [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 430 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $73.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$44,961.84

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5157 Hours: 16

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone, Thank you all for sharing and to Lindsey for starting it. Don't stories like this make you proud that you're off the smoking bandwagon? Danielle ____________________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think of it as her way of shifting her guilt. When I smoked, I never wanted to be around those who were "reformed quitters". I hated and resented them telling me how bad smoking was. DUH....... like I didn't know. I would just roll my eyes and turn my back to them. I didn't want to hear it. I believe I was jealous of them, to an extent. I didn't think of the harm I was doing to myself everytime I inhaled. I knew it, but would never think of it. So, there are a few individuals who are out-spoken. Instead of rolling their eyes and walking away, they speak out. Without thought. That is what I think that lady was doing. Her guilt about smoking, and her jealousy of you quitting, was how she voiced it. Anybody who belittles and makes fun of someone else lacks the self confidence of themselves. That is why teen-agers are so prone to that. They make fun of someone just to try to feel better about themselves. I know she wasn't a teen-ager, but it is used just as a reference. I would have said that same thing Lindsey. Instead of a preachy come-back, that was a great response. I'm sure she didn't know what else to say. Confusion - she quit smoking, but likes to smell the smoke??? That is hard to equate as a smoker. ;) 4my2girls [b][i][color=Maroon]What Consumes Your Thoughts Controls Your Life[/b][/i][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 92 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,774 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $300.84 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree, it is unfortunate that smokers are discriminated against so severely these days. I blame this for me staying a smoker for so long, you kind of feel like the oppressed few that need to stick tohether and rebel. I am certain that I would have quit earlier had people not banged on at me so much about not smoking! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 119 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,430 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �297.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sorry, was ment to say... it's generally [b]ex-smokers[/b] doing the 'anti-smoking' preeching, giving us [b]ex-smokers[/b] bad stigma.
  • Quit Meter

$12,509.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 21

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, unfortuantly the powers that be have pushed society to associate smokers with bad stigma, it is no wonder smokers lash out. I don't them, i was one of them !. It's also unfortunate that it's generally non-smokers doing the 'anti-smoking' preeching, giving us non-smokers bad stigma. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 519 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,993 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3373.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 74 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$12,509.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 21

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 172 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When, in an airport on a trip to Missouri from California in April 2002, as a smoker I was expected to squeeze into this small glass-walled room with 15-30 other smokers, it became clear to me just how second-class smokers had become. It was embarassing to be seen in a smoke filled room with just enough ventilation to keep the smoke from leaving the room to bother those outside of it. I smoked by the door, closer to the fresher air, and when I stepped away after my cigarette, I was appalled at the spectacle of people huddled into a room so smoke-filled that you couldn't see the smokers in the back. It took me 3 more years to have a quit that lasted a few months. One year later than that, here I am again. I will never step into one of those gas chambers ever again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $192.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 407 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting comments indeed. It appears to me that peer pressure, ex-smoker ranting and raving, etc. apparently make no differece. Yes, as expected...they gotta' do it when they want to not when I want them to. Smokem if you gotta' I persume. Lindsey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/10/2001 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1729 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 103,760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17290 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 356 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$122,623.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8384 Hours: 13

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 407 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday I went to an estate sale a friend was having. As I approached the owner's station, her friend, who was sitting there yelled out... [i]Here comes that person who hates tobacco. Let's all get out of his way.[/i] I replied simply... [i]I do not hate tobacco. I just hate what it almost did to me and what I see it doing to my closest smoking friends all the time. Please do not move, I love the smell of smoke more now than I did 5 years ago when I smoked.[/i] She did how ever not light up while I was there. Knowing that mouth of the South, I assure you it was out of being ashamed to still smoke, not courtesy We help others in such subtle ways...don't we? Yes, society has placed those still smoking in that class I am afraid. The lady mentioned has a very responsible job...in a medical group of all places. She is quick to tell you about how smart she is and how much she accomplished in her life. I am reminded of an old saying - [quote][center]"A thousand attaboys can be wiped out with one aah-sh_t!"[/quote][/center] You see, all of those great things she has/will do are all taken away with her weakness of not being willing to quit tobacco. Make any sense to you all? Lindsey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/10/2001 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1728 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 103,723 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17280 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 356 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$122,623.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8384 Hours: 13

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: