Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

The Times...They are a Changin'

17 years ago 0 126 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree! It used to be that a smoker could still smoke in a bar but they're banning that too! T.
  • Quit Meter

$14,947.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 367 Hours: 5

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady ... what you posted is exactly how I feel.
  • Quit Meter

$54,496.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 14

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread Rob, but what Golferman brought up made me wonder what I would do if a friend told me that I was letting cigarettes come between me and them. When I was a smoker and had to go outside to smoke at my non-smoking friend's house, were they letting cigarettes come between our friendship? I don't think so. Golferman's post made me wonder what my response to them would be. I think it would be something like this: "In order for me to love someone else fully, I must first love myself." If they can not understand and respect what I am trying to accomplish, then quite possibly they were never truly my friend to begin with. Btw ... I told all of my friends before I quit that I can't be around smoke right now and don't know when or if I will ever be able to around it again. They all 'seemed' to understand. If not ... tough ... I've got to do this for me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 291 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$54,496.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Golferman your post just got me thinking about my own recovery and if I could handle being around smoke or people that smoke in an enclosed area. I was thinking out loud more or less; not referring to you or your friendship personally. [quote]I simply no longer put myself in closed places with smokers. Any smokers. I avoid restaurants that have "smoking sections" that are not totally segregated from the non smoking section. It's all about a lifestyle change. It is my choice not to go to Tom's apartment just as it is his choice to smoke in it.[/quote] I agree. I was looking at it from a different angle ... as I said I was thinking out loud ... the flip page ... if a friend did not respect my choice and how I would handle it ... Would I let it rip my feelings apart or would I stay true to my quit? Thus why I said, "They all 'seemed' to understand. If not ... tough ... I've got to do this for me." Hope that makes my previous post more clear. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 299 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$54,496.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I totally understand what you mean Rob. I guess the 'system' beat me, because I grew tired of always having to go to a 'designated' area to smoke. It is irritating. I felt like a criminal for doing something legal. I guess I grew tired of being sent off, robbed of my time, missing out on things ... You are not the only one that feels the way you do. I must add though that I am finding that I had many reasons for wanting to quit. The more days I am quit, the more clearly I am seeing the things that really irritated me about smoking and have lead me to the journey I am on today. The more I let go, the more I realize that I was really holding on to nothing. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 290 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$54,496.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I couln't agree more I found that I was worried about having a cig in public if no-one else around me was smoking, I searched for other smokers. I apologised if there were more non-smokers around than smokers. I realised that going forward smokers wouldn't be welocome anywhere and we would be made to feel even more dirty. So the time came to say no more to the nicotone and hello to been accepted for just been me and not pushed out for been a smoker. My dream is to be comfy with the ban on smoking in pubs in England when it comes into force next year and not one of the group of people who are already dreaming ways round it or looking for the pubs with beergardens to go to even in the middle of winter Joanne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 466 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rob, I understand where you're coming from on this. Not the reason that I gave up, but I was feeling more and more like my habit was unacceptable in public. One thing that annoyed me as a smoker (and still does) is the hypocrisy of it all. The goverment(in the UK) is happy to collect huge amounts of revenue from taxing smokers at the same time as making them feel like social outcasts. Soon smoking will be outlawed in bars and restaurants through the UK; I agree with this, but have to say that I feel sorry for the nicotine addict smoker who is made to feel guilty for his/her addiction while the government takes as much as it feels like. Supply and demand does not come into it, as smokers (and slaves), most of us would have carried on paying out no matter what the price. I for one, wish for the day when all tobacco companies go bankrupt, though they're wise and realise the trends going on in the Western world and have taken to exploiting the Third World; we hear stories here of free cigarettes being handed out to kids in Africa etc. Sorry to rant on, Just makes me mad Mr Ed :mad: :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,956 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �735 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I suspected as much. Thanks for the response. As much as my parents tried to tell me I was such a unique person; the older I get, the more I realize I'm not so unique! Perhaps this is why I seem to be struggling more with this quit than (at least what I perceive) others. I don't notice a dramatic improvement in my health because, thankfully, my health was ok before quitting. I don't know- I definitely was and still am strongly addicted (at least only potentially now)to the effects of nicotine and it's perhaps tougher when the primary impetus to quit is social. Whio knows. But I agree wholeheartedly with Lady that the freedom to be at movies, dinners; on trains,planes, etc., without constantly thinking about the next smoke is quite a nice reward.....even if, sadly, I miss my friend. I hope I'll be missing that "friend" a lot less come 6 months or so. But still, this taste of freedom is a nice thing. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 92 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,707 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $828 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
I don't know if I'm the only one here who has quit primarily for this reason- the reason being that smoking has become such a socially abhorant thing. In some ways, I feel it is a strange reason to focus on to quit because there are som many genuine health concerns that being a social pariah ought to be quite far down the list. And it's also strange to me because I have never done things because of what people or society think one ought to do. Now don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a sociopath....I just feel a strong sense of individuality and I never bow down to what people think I ought to do or think. But I find myself here because I was so tired of quickly smoking one in the garage, in the rain, in the alley, during commercial breaks; I miss out on half of all conversations. Honestly...and I mean this, if we were still in the 70's or 80's, I very much doubt I would be quitting. Smoking, fortunately, had not ravaged my health yet. "Yet" being the key variable in that equation. When I stepped back and looked at myself, instead of the rugged individualist, I had become this sad, pathetic isolated 47 year old man who had to sneak around to keep up my nicotine level. As passive-aggressive as our laws now are that demonize the smoker and not the producer, I must say that without these laws, I would very likely still be puffing away. I was just wondering if I am an exception in the general quit population or if others identify. :quest: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 92 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,703 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $828 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
Thanks, Phillip, but now that there isn't the smoking "freedom", Canada is even colder than upstate NY! Politically, well another 2 years is tolerable. Oops. Amazing, though that smoking was at one time at least part of the reason to move. And I'm sorry, Joe. One of my friends did that to me when I smoked. It really hurt me badly, especially since I was "acceptable" only a month before; and our friendship has never been the same. Even now that I don't smoke. I swore I would never take that stance with my smoking friends. It is pretty personal to me .Sorry- you unintentionally hit a nerve and I reacted. Clearly, this is not the case with you and your friend. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 92 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,713 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $828 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3

Reading this thread: