Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I'm so FRUSTRATED!

18 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Island Girl, I saw your post and I just could not believe what I was reading. I really feel for you and guess I had the same reaction - the shock of what addiction really does to people. And that they can continue to damage themselves so badly. You're right, Tom needs to help himself. Your'e a strong person to try and offer different methods for him to help himself. All you do is continue to be as supportive as you have been and pray for him, We will too. CobenFan (Christine) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 714 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $147 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
islandgirl - What a challenge, dear one. You have done everything you can... Your husband knows you are there to hold the rope if he decides to reach for help, and that's really all you can do at this point. This is such a powerful addiction, much like a heroin addict, we lose ourselves to the addiction, and the last thing we do is thing straight. Denial is a powerful thing. Come here and vent and vent some more, islandgirl. We are hear to listen, to support and to take you in our arms and love you. One step at a time. One day at a time. Blessings and Love- Healer xox [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $292.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
18 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And to Hummy, Ladybugg and Christine (Cobenfan) - Thanks to you as well for your kinds words and tremendous support. Ya'll have made this quit the easiest one for me. Having quit by myself before with no support it didn't go too well. But coming here to the SSC and hanging with ya'll has made all the difference in the world. I know that I will never go back - even the cravin' has quit! There is just too much at stake here in life to sabotage myself now! Have a blessed weekend! Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 747 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5861 Hours: 13

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Phillip - Thanks for your sensitive response. I tend to want to take some kind of control and in this situation I can't. All I can do is be here - and you're right - with my hand outstretched. Darn - that makes me so mad...I'm sure that we will continue on our paths as before. We will be there for our friend Tom through all of this and pray for his recovery and for his family (luckily no children. I guess at his point we're just a little stunned. Thanks so much for your support! Josie - thanks for your encouragement. I am protecting my quit because I know that there is no way on this God's green earth that I will ever pick up another cig. The reality is just too scary for me. Thanks again! Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 747 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Pam and Lady - Thanks so much for your quick replies - Lady - aren't you supposed to be getting ready for your graduation? You are amazing to be here helping and supporting!!! And butterfly swimmer you are always here with support and prayers - thank you both so much. You both have been instramental in my quit. How will I know that my husband will quit one day? I can't know that - all I can do is pray for that day. And do you want to hear the worst thing yet - on Wednesday I went to the shop to see our foreman and he is standing there with a cig hangin out of his mouth. He said he figured that was his last day to smoke. How sick is that? I just will have to try and understand and be compassionate. But it makes me mad as heck! THANKS for letting me vent. Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 73 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $146 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Today has been such a sad day. My husband's shop foreman was diagnosed with tongue cancer about 70 some odd days ago. Yesterday he went for his surgery and they ended up having to cut out about 3/4 of his tongue, his lymph nodes (they had cancer in them as well) and then went further and discovered cancer in the bundle of nerves at the top of his spinal column. He was in surgery for 8 hours. He is 49 years old and has been a heavy smoker for years. The day he was diagnosed was the day that I quit. My husband is heartbroken about it as he is a valued friend and employee. But will he quit smoking - heck no! He has tried so many times in the last 2 months and just can't do it. I understand that he has to own his own quit and he has to want to quit more than he wants to smoke - but really folks - what the heck is it going to take? We got him Wellbutrin (he didn't like it) we got him Effexor (he won't even start to take it) and then we got him the very expensive Nicotine inhalers that look like a cig - he didn't like the taste - well duh???? I'm just so frustrated and needed to vent. I know that I will never put another fag in my mouth - the thought of what our friend Tom is going through now is so so scary. It makes me feel physically ill to think about smoking. What is the matter with HIM????? Any insight will be so helpful. Thanks Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 73 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 739 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $146 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks Healer and Sunshine and Cherie - You guys always know what to say. I am so thankful that I have a wonderful support system here and you two are the always here for me. Sunshine - I do remember reading about your husband. You are an amazing woman to be able to live through that and come out on the other side wanting to help and connect with other non-smokers and encourage all of us on this new path of life. Cherie - You are so right - this is like a heroin addiction - sometimes I think it might be worse. It's an accepted addiction and it's killing more people every day than heroin. Thanks for letting me vent. This is the best place for that. I will continue to set an example for my husband - I know that I will never smoke again. He is proud of me - he does tell me that! And he really helps in my rewards - So he is supportive of my quit. Thanks again for all ya'll help - words really don't begin to describe what that means. Island Girl and Healer - I tell you every time I read one of your post I just feel this sense of calm and peace - thank you so much. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 754 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $150 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks everyone for your support - just looking around I am finding that I am not the only one with this problem! I've decided to go back on the Wellbutrin - it helped me over the first two weeks of my quit but it made me feel kinda weird so I stopped. I'm thinking now that I should have just continued on with it and then maybe things wouldn't effect my brain so...my frustrations and anger. So there you have it...and so it is. Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 777 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goodmorning Islandgirl, I'm sorry to come in late on your post, but you, your husband, and your friend are in my thought and prayers. I'M so glad that you have a safe place here at SSC to come and vent. My sweet one, no matter how much we want something for someone else unless they truly want to do it for them selves our hands are tied. I think that you know that already. I know what you are seeing with your friend and wondering is my husband going to end up like that. Those are thing we don't know. If you have read any of my posts, my husband was the reason I quit. I had to watch him die a horrid death of lung cancer. I just pray that I didn't wait too long. So please protect your quit with everything that you have, stay strong and put a good example out there for your husband. As you have said this is your quit, and only you can take it away. So stay strong and hang on tight because it is so worth it. Congratulations on those wonderful 73 days. and 739 cigarettes not smoked... Be blessed, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 120 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,046 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $420 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$229,974.19

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6397 Hours: 22

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Island Girl I am sad hearing about your friend and your husband. I have no idea what you are feeling really and I can only guess that it must be how I have felt when there have been those around me who are so gravely ill that they can not help themselves. I hurt and I know you must hurt as well. Your hurt is the evidence of the love within you. I hope that there is some place in you where you can find succour, peace, harmony all the things that are the other side of frustration. For me I know that I have only been able to stand by, offer my hand, reassure those I love that I will stand by them, that I am there for them and when they want me all they need do is ask. That is what I see you doing. Standing at the edge waiting, you will give of yourself freely and with gentle care when they ask. You seem to know that those you love are in the grip of a terrible addiction and all we can do is offer our hand, wait and be there when they reach. By simply waiting with your hand outstretched you are offering a simple act of love and compassion. When they are willing to step from their addiction, their pain or numbness you will be there. Our steadfast support is the most loving thing that any one of us can offer another. Peace. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $585 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56

Reading this thread: