Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Did u smoke?

18 years ago 0 99 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
am I odd, in that I don't see much value (for me) in the meter? I understand it is important to so many people, and I see how it can help. But for me the decision to set, or reset the meter is so....futile. I have quit quite a few times (for two yrs once), and it has never swayed me either way. Please don't misunderstand, I think it's a great tool for some, but has little meaning for others. Every quit site I go to there seems to be this huge debate on setting/ resetting. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 216 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$50,400.66

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6250 Hours: 6

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well Cherie- a mature smoker (you are too awesome for words and I am in awe of your quit) who feels the same way I do? Is this to say that I also may never mature ( and embrace the grey areas of quitting)? I know...I am one sarcastic sob.. Seriously- congrats on your quit and you really do inspire me. nope Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,388 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know- probably one of the strongest reasons I didn't smoke today was my unwillingness to recklessly abandon a 32 day quit and then have to start from day 1. It's such a compelling addiction. Also- I was stupid. I took off my patch last night to shower and forgot to put on a new one. A very restless night. I was a mess this morning and then I discovered no patch on my arm. Thankful for advice from some folks here. If I ever questioned being an addict, well this proved otherwise. But it was also enlightening because, even without the patch, I survived and din't smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,313 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $288 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am right behind you Rob47. and Joyful I admire your quit and I admire your gumption in telling it like it is for you and your absolute ownership of your life and your choices! Congratulations Thank You for posting. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 714 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $262.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
joyful, Thanks for this post. I hear you! I feel the same way sometimes. However, I do want to offer my opinions, if I may... one cigarette doesn't negate all of the hard work that goes into a quit... it doesn't negate all of the previous smoke free days or the amount of life gained, or money saved. However, the ONLY time that reset my meter after a mistake is the one that stuck... up until October, I played what Lady called "the slipping game" and either kept my meter where it was or put it back a day, and it just didn't stick. Does that mean I would have slipped since October if I hadn't reset my meter? I have absolutely no way of knowing... but I do know that resetting it worked for me to keep me honest with myself and reminds me everytime I come in here about how much I lost (130 smoke free days) by smoking and that's enough to keep me quit. I just wanted to offer my opinions from someone who's tried every method there is when it comes to resetting the quit meter. I found the method that works for me and that was setting it back to zero and starting over again. But whatever works for the person to make them never smoke again is the right method for them in my book. Just my opinions. Thanks for starting this thread Cherie. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 145 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,645 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $478.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
18 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, just thought of another analogy, lol. If there's a meter showing time alive and you die,,,then u can't reset your meter cuz your dead. So we could look at it like this...be grateful we're still alive so that we can reset our meters, lol. The meter is to show time NOT smoking. Not sometimes not smoking, lol. Just don't smoke :) No matter what don't lite up... Keep on keepin on... Cherie
  • Quit Meter

$26,706.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 584 Hours: 9

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

For me, the issue is about being honest with myself :) It feels good when I can look at the meter in here and know in my heart that it is 100% accurate & true. In sobriety we don't have a physical meter to look at but we do get a chip every year and celebrate our achievments. GOD willing I'll have 10 yrs. sober this coming Tues. That's 10 yrs without 1 drop of alcohol. If I were to drink I automatically start counting at day 1 again when I decide to quit again. Whether that's the same day or a yr later I'm back to day one. It not even up for discussion. I'm either drinking or I'm not. In this case I'm either smoking or I'm not. If my meters running and I'm smoking, then my meter is inaccurate and not honest when I look at it. So anyhow, no it's not about the meter, it's about being honest with myself. [color=Red]The meter is a device that shows my honesty in my quit.[/color] 100% time smoke-free :) No matter what don't lite up... Keep on keepin on... Cherie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/22/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 423 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,478 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1692 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$26,706.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Bump for Bambi :) No one can ever take away the number of days u didn't smoke. However if u give up then you will be taking away the healing that's been accomplished since you've quit and all the life u could gain if u stay quit. Don't give up :) Do anything u want except smoke,,,go to barnes and noble, get a starrbucks, breathhhhhh deep, relax, come in here, call a friend, scream, cry, pray, beat up your pillow, anything but smoke a stinky deadly lung suffocating cig! No matter what don't lite up.. Keep on keepin on... Cherie
  • Quit Meter

$26,706.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

BUMP...
  • Quit Meter

$26,706.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Still smoke-free here :) WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!! HAVE A WONDERFUL SMOKE-FREE DAY ALL :) And I do mean the whole 24 hrs of the day, lol. If anyone thinks their quit is in danger please come in here and post for help quickly :) No matter what don't lite up... Keep on keepin on... Cherie
  • Quit Meter

$26,706.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: