Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

living with a smoker...

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Celia, Stay strong. Positive support for your boyfriend is essential for his and your quit. I am certain the two of you will do fantastic. Take Care, Melanie ________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good advise Celia. Most of us have quit and failed before. I know that I was sick of smoking and all that went with it for a long time before I actually quit. You being an example that it can be done will probably be the difference between success and failure in your boyfriend. It may take him a while, but I'm sure he'll get it eventually. I'm sure he wants what you have found; Freedom. Keep up the great quit. You are Awesome! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 261 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,228 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $913.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome post, Celia. Your boyfriend sounds like he's where I was a year ago. Your description of his love/hate relationship with smoking, the feeling of guilt over smoking around you, his lack of enjoyment of smoking, the denial of wanting to quit, the fear of failure, everything plucked a lot of strings in me. I'm so glad you didn't cave because your support will be tremendously helpful when he does quit. Tell him he needs to imprint all his current feelings about smoking while he still can. Then when things get rough in his quit he can call up these memories. They will be very helpful. Tell him I know he can do this because I've walked the same path. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 300 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,008 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good post and very interesting. Remember to keep your quit your own. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 332 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,322 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2490 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
18 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I already posted this in response to a post from Penguin but I thought I would start a new thread for anyone else who is going through this. You may remember me as the one who nearly chose to start smoking a couple of weeks ago when my boyfriend announced after months of occaisional smoking, that he was to become a full time smoker once again. Since his first serious relapse blamed on his mum's cancer scare at the end of last year, he has had such a love/hate relationship with smoking (detailed in my post "an addicts denial") and it has been incredibly confusing and emotional to live with him. Well I am back to calm now. A few days after I stopped the tears, sulks and tantrums, he has admitted the truth. He obviously feels a strong need to smoke but he doesn't enjoy it. Most of the time he doesn't just hate the idea of smoking, he actually doesn't even enjoy it. He hates the effect that his smoking is having on me. He feels tremendously guilty for upsetting me, wasting his money and risking his health. And finally, he is incredibly jealous of me for my success, but is also inspired by it, and is really going to go for it on his new quit date, 30th March. Whether or not he succeeds, I am not so bothered now that I know how he really feels. I feel immensely proud to have succeeded and you should too. I would imagine that most people who have ever "decided to quit, tried it and then changed their minds" would be going through many of the same emotions as my boyfriend but won't admit it - they are worried to say they really want to quit, because they is scared of failure, so they deny that they want to quit. My best advice for anyone going through this situation is this: (1) Don't smoke. It will only remind you why you wanted to stop, and then you will have to start your entire quit from the beginning again even if you only had a couple of puffs. (2) Try to imagine the inner turmoil your smoking partner is going through. A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend was saying things like, "I love smoking. I never wanted to stop, you bullied me into it." These statements were what tempted me to smoke again, I thought I must be really missing out. He now admits he only said it to stop me whinging about him smoking. I hope this helps somebody, I felt I should pay a bit
  • Quit Meter

$99,893.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4670 Hours: 9

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Celia Thanks for your response to my post about this sometimes difficult situation. I told my husband: "Don't be a closet smoker. Smoke em if you got em...outside". I said that because I didn't want him to become resentful of me for his need to be that closet smoker. I am not going to let "me" be the excuse for his failure. He needs to take ownership of that. He wants me to fail so that it is easier for him to smoke. Sorry, that is not going to happen. It has always happened that way in the past. We quit together, and while I always have had a longer success than he, it was always me that sort of gave "permission" to quit the quit. I always knew he would agree because he really had never quit. Not this time. When I was having trouble with him smoking a few weeks back, it was because I was looking at it as him not committing to "me" and my choice to quit. I took it personally. Mistake... I had to remind myself that he is an addict and that is all it is about...Nicotene. I feel better about it now and I am back on track. I made a big deal about 100 days in our house, just so he would know that I am taking responsibility for making my own support. Keep a smile on. He'll see it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,536 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1161.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$330,328.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6025 Hours: 13

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penquin.....Now you got it!!! that attitude is what will keep YOU quit! Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1536 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 61,452 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8448 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 200 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$158,921.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5341 Hours: 23

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: