Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,554 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

To all, esp. newbies.. True Consequences

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi serenity2, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you and your Dad. It must have been very difficult at the time and now you can use your pain to beat this horrible addiction. I also have lost family members from smoking related diseases and understand the pain. I agree this post will probably not make any dedicated smoker quit and I found it during a search to re-inforce my own quit. Who knows though, maybe this is just the eye opener someone else might need to tip the scales in the favor of quitting. Maybe one of the mods could move it to the general forum if they feel it would be more appropriate there? Thanks, Pat I quit therefore I win [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 95 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$121,190.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 965 Hours: 7

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump Another gem from golferman. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 85 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$121,190.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 965 Hours: 7

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
See I don't think these sort of posts actually work if you are a dedicated smoker. I think they help you focus if you have already quit. but I don't think they'll stop you smoking if you aren't in the place where you're ready to do it. We've ALL seen terrible things, read terrible stories and still we went right on smoking. I watched my beloved father die of lung cancer when I was 14.5. He was "lucky" - it was quick. A few months and he had gone. A few months of watching him hang over the arm of a chair to try and drag oxygen down into the lung that was OK. A few weeks of watching the strongest man in my world, my God, my hero, become weak and to eventaully, one dreadful morning before I went to school, cry in my arms because he just COULDN'T get that breath. And years of thinking I glimpsed him walking down the street. Thinking I could hear him whistling just around the corner. Seeing his hands as he wraped his arms around me. (I could still tell you what his fingers were like I can see them so clearly.) The pain has NEVER gone away. I can bury it - but still, probably the most dominant memories I have of my dad, are those last awful weeks. My counsellor has a theory that smoking breaks some kind of connection in a smokers brain so that those images, those adverts, those stories, just don't affect them any more. THAT I think, is an issue worth looking at. A problem to solve. Meantime, thanks for the bump. It tells those of us who have strated on the journey why there is no going back. S [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,795 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/cuddlebug230/Oval_head.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 66 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump! Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very well timed. Thanks. sushik [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 485 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $171 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What does bump mean?
17 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent bump. The consequences, when you see them up close and personal, are terrible. No amount of reading, or doctors telling you, or commercials can ever prepare you like seeing it stright up will prepare you. Where I work, I have 3 customers who come in regularly for cigarettes. One is so sick from years of abusing himself that he can't speak a full sentence without stopping to gather is breath. But he buys cigs. One is on an oxygen tank. And has his cig out and ready to light before he's out the door. The other is a young woman who counts pennies to buy her pack of cigs. It's amazing. Seeing these people all the time, I pity them, but it's such an amazing reminder of how much better off I will be. Thank you for the bump, and for reminding us all how real the consequences are. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 313 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BUMP
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great bump, A great read for all! Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: