Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

WOW! cant believe what I heard!

18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
People who smoke while wearing the patch have had massive heart attacks and died. Both are heart stimulants. I wouldn't do it.
18 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
May be the tobacco companies came up with this "wisdom". Gaby [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 448 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $170.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I felt too weird when I smoked soon after using an NRT. I wouldn't buy it. Scientists have found that nicotine is helpful for Parkinson's and Alzheimer's patients due to it's ability to help memory and increase dopamine levels. They are not wanting to use it, however, because it is addictive. This infomation can be found on the internet, too. Perhaps there is some NRT stockholder out there who hates cigs and would like this dividends to grow by creating a new niche market. But..then...putting on a patch everyday is not as alluring as blowing smoke rings. I think it's hogwash; Propaganda campaign - as is most of what I hear through the media. My three cents, gpw [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 383 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW Peanut, I think whoever wrote those news stories was smoking something stronger than cigs! I can't imagine that having a double dose of nicotine in your system for 2 weeks would do anything for you but give you a heart attack. Wow, there sure is a lot of bad information out there. It really gives people who want to quit a deservice. As for saying nicotine by itself is not addictive, they should be around me when I finally get off the patch in 2 weeks! I'll show them! lol. [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/w00t.gif[/IMG] [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 922 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $315.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
18 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can�t believe the things that I have heard on the news in the last week. Early this week the news had a clip on health beat that said smoking for the first 2 weeks while wearing a nicotine patch increased your chance of quitting! I was always told that you should never smoke with patch and in fact that�s what kept me from not smoking. Then last night they had a clip on prescribing the patch for memory loss in elders and stressed that nicotine is not addictive when used alone and only addictive when combined with tobacco! This is crazy I have spent the last 9 months educating myself on how bad this drug is and now they are telling me different! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 253 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,068 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1138.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peanut, I googled that and found the same thing Missyfit did and I honestly can't believe my eyes!!! Who would say such a thing??? This paragraph especially caught my eye... [quote] "Newhouse said when anyone talks about using nicotine as a treatment concerns about addiction always come up. So, is nicotine addictive? The answer to that is, outside of cigarettes, it doesn't seem to be. People don't really want to take nicotine for fun. We don't think there's much risk of nicotine [patches] being addictive -- you can tell that because the FDA approved them for over-the-counter sale," [/quote] [B]CIGARETTES ARE ALSO AWAILABLE FOR OVER THE COUNTER SALE!!!!![/B] Just because something is sold "over the counter" doesn't mean it's not harmful or unsafe!!!!! I mean, HELLO!?!?!?! What about all of those diet supplements that got pulled a couple years ago because people were dying when taking them?!?!?! There are MANY things that are sold "over the counter" that are NOT safe or healthy!!! Peanut, thanks for sharing this with us! I think I'm going to write a letter (not that it's going to do any good) to the "news" station telling them EXACTLY what I think of their "non-addictive substance" and how harmful this report can be to the general public. Thanks for sharing. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterflies.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 103 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,588 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $339.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 586 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, peanut... I found that article by doing a google for "health beat nicotine". That's definitely what they're saying but I sure have to question that a little more. Googling "is nicotine addictive" will quickly tell you the opposite. I'm not sure what difference it would really make if it turned out that it really wasn't addictive. As Josie said, it's the other chemicals that get you when you smoke. Hmmm...or is it? What about chewing tobacco? Does it have those other chemicals too? Very interesting... Food for thought. Thanks for the info :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 371 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,429 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1324.47 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$18,734.24

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 691 Hours: 20

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peanut, Nicotine is the addictive substance, but the toxins within cigarettes is what gets you! Stay Strong and know that no matter what smoking is not good for you! Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: