Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

To NRT or not to NRT......that is the question (W. Shakespeare..deceased)

18 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I always quit Cold Turkey the previous (and numerous) times, and it never worked for me. While debatting to use NRT I had friends (who quit CT) tell me that the desire to quit has to come from within, and that NRTs won't help. Well, I see it differently: Why go thru all the pains of labor if I can have the epidural, and make it a lot easier on myself? Some might think now that I am comparing apples to oranges, but if I can have something to ease the pain, and help me overcome this addiction, why not? That's my two cents. I don't know what it will be like in a few months from now when I will have to give up the gum, but for now it really has helped me thru some very rough spots. Gaby [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 168 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $62 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am using the patch myself. I KNOW I would never have gotten this far without them. My doc. put me on them for 2 mths. with decreasing dosages. I will admit I am nervous about how I will do without them. But we all know that there is so much more to smoking than just the nicoteen. I am also learning how to be a non-smoker. Changing routines, giving up coffee, keeping busy, etc. Whatever it takes to get YOU not smoking is the best way for YOU. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 585 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $199.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
18 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've stepped down to a 7 mg patch now and getting ready to go nekkid soon. I am also taking wellbutrin, but half the dose reccomended by my doctor. The combination of these two aids enabled me to go through the "hell week" process much better than previous attempts and that is good because it worked. I remember reading in one of Bubba's posts a while back that he took his time getting off the patches and felt it was a strong influence on his quit. I agree. I need all the help I can get, and am ready to step out soon and do it on my own. I sure hope I am graceful when it happens. Good luck to all. Smokefree2 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 55 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,106 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $220 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$22,708.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5343 Hours: 2

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wrote the following in reply to another post, and then I thought that it was an interesting enough issue to have it's own thread. Should we use NRT or go "Cold Turkey"? A very personal issue and I can only give you my personal experiences. I tried the patches and the gum in previous quits (some years ago). I was fine until the time came to stop using them and then I started smoking again when I came under pressure or had triggers that were too strong (that one broke a six month quit!). There are some important differences between then and now. I now understand what I am dealing with and I understand the process of stopping smoking with regard to nicotine addiction and withdrawral. I believe that to have a serious go at stopping smoking requires us to get "hyped up" about stopping. There is adrenaline about, and we are filled with all sorts of powerful emotions....some negative and some positive. Then we enter hell week! 7 days of real hard work, the first three compounded by the physical withdrawral syptoms if you go the cold turkey route. Get through that and it starts getting easier (or at least it did for me). For me, having to go through the physical withdrawral bit some weeks down the road, without the powerful drives that lead to the quit in the first place.............might have been a problem. So my advice would be to rip the plaster of the hairy body part....rather than try to peel it off ever sooooooo slowly! Jump straight into the icy water, don't insert a millimeter at a time! But we are all different! What do you think? Brent (mad hairy englishman) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 333 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �235 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used a combination of the patch and this web site. I quit the patch cold turkey instead of stepping down at 30 days. I had previously tried the patch twice and cold turkey three times and neither worked for me until I also sought out support. I finally found a combination that worked! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/26/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,207 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
18 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
GREAT THREAD !!! Just wanted to add my experience. I quit back in November and used the nicotrol inhaler. I dont know if I would have made it where I am without it. I used is constantly for the first few weeks and have only taken it out a couple of times since then. I think that no matter what method you use as long as you are not smoking more power to ya !!! Everyone is different and the fact that we have quit is such a great accomplishment for each of us. I also want to add that there is no way I could have made it this far without this website. Everyone here is awesome and I am glad to be part of this group. CJ :) ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,567 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $218.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$63,582.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6423 Hours: 9

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well it is certainly a very interesting topic. My personal experiences? Well, long time ago, I tried the gum. Yucky,icky,nasty nasty taste. Still makes me cringe just thinkin about it. Needless to say, I failed that quit. My second real attempt was with the patch. Against the advice of one of Joe's posts, the impatience got the better of me. I tried an accelerated version of getting off the patch. That attempt was a failure too. I call them failures because I went back to a full blown smoking habit and not just a little slip of a puff or a single cigarette. This is my 3rd serious attempt. I was on welbutrin for 1 month before giving up smoking this time. I'm 23 days quit so far. I gave up the welbutrin about 2 weeks ago, because I felt they were messin with me. Still having the same cravings as the other times I tried to quit. So, if I had to do it all over again, I would go cold turkey. Why spend money on something that doesnt make it easier for me? As it has been said before, Everyone has their own method that works best for them. Another thing to think about is, there are no EASY ways to quit. A person will still have to go through withdrawl no matter what method they use. Attitude is the key to a successful quit. Excellent thread!!! Tony :) Ash Kickin Joker [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 477 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $69 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 389 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is an interesting topic and I shall give my two cents worth: Yes, HOW a person quits is a very personal decision that no one can make for another. Everyone's quit is unique and how they achieve the ultimate goal is their decision and theirs alone. Here's my story: When I started my quit, I used the Nicotrol inhaler and Wellbutrin first, then stopped using the inhaler and switched to the gum. I didn't like the taste of the gum so I stopped using that too. So now, I am only taking the Wellbutrin (mostly for the depression) and not using any NRT at all. I guess using the NRT for the first week helped somewhat as I was really happy during that time. After I stopped using any NRT, I felt the depression kick in. I didn't want (and still don't) any nicotine in my body at all; so I am going to continue the Wellbutrin until its gone and hope that I cheer up! I can say that if I hadn't used any NRT, I don't think I would have made it this far. Of course, not having started out cold turkey, I can't say for sure what would have or would not have happened. I just don't know if I would have been able to stick with my quit early in the beginning without the NRT. Thats my opinion... N.O.P.E. Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 433 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 453 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmmm, very interesting! (No, I won't get out my MAD post again, I promise...) But Cold Turkeys LOVE lively discussions! Mc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 147 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,213 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $588 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 92 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting and everyone has different opinions. I used the patch and think it helped me alot. Others say Cold Turkey is best, which ever you feel comfortable with, that's what you should do. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 226 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,535 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1017 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58

Reading this thread: