Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,626 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

need some advice here......

18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am no longer smoking, however, I am moving in with a roomate soon who does smoke, that's no big deal as she and I have talked and she agrees to smoke outside. The problem is after I move my mother, a serious smoker will be watching my little girl at our house. I know she(mom) will smoke inside even if I ask her not to, as this has happened before. I love my mom. Ijust don't know what to do here. and can't afford day care. I am a widowed mother of a 2 yr old and I have to work. I am thinking of trying to find someone else, but I also don't want to hurt my mom's feelings.......... M.Robinson [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 278 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just gotta say thanks to all for the advice. I need you to know I do know my baby comes first. I was raised up in a home that was VERY strict, and was taught never to question my elders, rite or wrong, they were always rite. I know I am grown now and know rite from wrong I just find it hard to stand up to my mother. I am thinking I am just going to find someone else or maybe even change jobs.If I can get on with a daycare I can take her along at a cheaper rate. But I now see I really can't talk to my mother about this :(. Maybe someday I will grow that spine she ripped out of me in my youth!! Thanks again, you all are great!! I am so glad I found SSC. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 297 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $49 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
18 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Would you rather hurt your Mom's feelings or your childs Lungs? You know what to do... :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 91 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $318.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 211 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mrs. R First let me say how sorry I am for your loss. If I were you, I would lovingly talk to your mom and if nothing else, try and find a room for her where she could go smoke if she has to. I know many will say it's your home and you have the right for it to be smoke free and I would totally agree. You seem to love your mom and I can understand how the financial strain could be hard on you. It's also time to be realistic and I think you are doing just that. You know your mom smokes, you know she will smoke in your home. If you have to use her for your childcare at least make it clear to her that there will be limits where she can smoke. That is not asking too much. Make it very clear that she cannot smoke with your child in the same room. I'm sorry that you have to go through this and like I said I've been in circumstances where financially you had to make some tough decisions. It's easy for some to just say to you that you should get other childcare, but sometimes that just isn't feasible. Again, I would talk with your mom and at least sit down some guidlines. Do this with love and hopefully she will listen. Let us know how it goes. vicki just 1 puff away from 2 packs a day [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 89 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,575 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $623 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mrs. Robinson- here's my best advice: reread Vicki's post. She has absolutely nailed it. lots of support, SILVER p.s. please let us know what happens. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 119 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,583 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $773.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Mrs. Robinson. You know when I first quit smoking I told my mom (a 2+ pack/day smoker)I was quitting and her response to me was "Why?" Smoking is an addiction. As addicts we live in a constant state of denial. The only person you have control over is yourself. Perhaps you could discuss with your mother how much this quit means to you and how important it is that she not smoke in your house. I have 3 children myself and about 7 years ago I quit smoking in the house or in the car. I quit because I didn't want to smoke around them. It was not fair that they smell like smoke and breathe the stuff because of me. I would say communication is key. If you cannot communicate or come to an agreement then maybe you need to have an alternate plan. Not only for the sake of your quit but also for you child. Your child has a right to a smoke free environment as well. Regardless of what you decide, you must protect your quit at all costs. Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 196 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,939 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $686 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mrsrobinson, Here's another one about [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=25707&forum=1]second hand smoke and children[/url]. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterfly2.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,949 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $254.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mrsprobinson, Would your mother react more favorably if you showed her all of the problems tied to second hand smoke? If so, if you click[url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=25857&forum=1]here[/url] you will go to a thread that talks about this subject. Perhaps you could show her all of the health risks tied to second hand smoke. This is a very tough situation and I wish I had a better solution for you. I wish you the best. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterfly2.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,949 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $254.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mrsrobinson942, Congratulations on quitting and welcome to the SSC. That is certainly a tough situation. Let me get this straight... you mother will be watching your daughter at "her" house or the place you and the roommate are living? Regardless, you need to truly impress upon your mother the seriousness of second hand smoke and let her know that while she is watching your daughter, her grand daughter, that smoking in the same building is totally unacceptable. If she is unwilling to comply with this (I say unwilling rather than unable) then, unfortunately, you need to find other arrangements. It is totally unacceptable to subject a child to second hand smoke. Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 244 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $597.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
  • Quit Meter

$36,341.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9770 Hours: 14

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi :) U must do what's best for your baby! You'll find a way. You're 2 yr old can't leave or speak up for herself so it's your job to do it for her. Your Mom's feelings are just that,,,"Her Feelings" & u are not responsible for the way she "chooses" to feel. She should know better anyhow. You have one child to take care of,,,that's it,,,not 2. Let the responsibility of your Mom's feelings lift up off your shoulders :) I'm going to do the same...FINALLY :) Just take care of your baby. Let your Mom read this thread. Print it out if u have to and leave it laying somewhere for her to see if u can't bring yourself to give it to her. Just a suggestion. Sorry if this comes off harsh but it really really ticks me off to see or hear of an adult that is so selfish. Here u are working so hard to improve yourself, lost your hubby and struggling to make it and poor Mom just can't seem to take her stinky smoking butt outside for the sake of her own grandchild. That's just too sad! Just goes to show how bad this addiction is. And I guess I had to say all that to come to the realization that it's very painful to hear it because it hits home and it hurts :( sheese, I never did smoke around kids except in the car with the top down or my head out the window, lol, but being an addict like I know I am I did do very selfish things in my past. Anyhow plz take my opinion for what they are,,,"my opinions",,,that's all, nothing more. No matter what don't lite up... Keep on keepin on... Cherie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/22/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 326 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1304 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$26,832.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 587 Hours: 4

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: