Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,534 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

When is the right time to stop?

18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You see loads of advice on stopping smoking. Do your preparation and get into the right frame of mind, pick a good period, avoid stress, set yourself up, get things ready, buy the carrots/gum/patches/mints/straws............., work out your coping strategies, read and research, get a buddy, find a support site or forum.........and I guess that you could all add to this list with many, many other good suggestions. The Allen Carr book has popped up a few times in recent threads and there are one or two things that I find particularly interesting about it. Firstly is the advice on the first few pages to continue to smoke whilst you read the book. he as absolutely clear about this. Continue to smoke while you are stopping smoking......... Secondly is his advice on when to stop..........he is very vague about this saying things like obviously sooner is better than later etc (not quoting exactly cos can't find the d*mn book at the moment). But he does not particularly pressure you whilst you are reading. It is not until you have finished the book that you realise just how clever he is. He really does understand the physcology of a smoker.......what we see called "junkie thinking". He knows that if on page 34 he tells you to stop smoking NOW, most smokers will not finish the book....because they would have to give up smoking! he knows that if he tells you that a certain time is the best time......the smoker will ensure that it never happens.......so his clever trick is to actually make sure that the vast majority of people will at least finish the book. If you finish the book, then you kind of reach your own conclusion that there is no good time to give up so you might as well get on with it. You will have good days and bad days/weeks/months whether you smoke or not.........and I do remember the exact words here "Take it on the chin". My motive for posting these thoughts is the numbers of people who are struggling at the moment for whatever reason and are giving the impression that this is not the right time. I am sure that their reasoning is very powerful and real to them, but my hunch is that whatever is giving them a problem at the moment is probably unconnected with smoking. We all know the answer to the title of the post, but we all
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OOps what I meant was 20 cigs a day, 10 puffs per cig, 200 hits a day...........yikes, still alot of poison in the bod....yuk, TWO HUNDRED PER DAY for decades. Hmmmmmm. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,521 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $880 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are so right about the Carr book, Brent. I found it somewhere here online. And reading it gave me the nudge. Yes, his approach to smokers was huge in my decision to quit. Did he say 20 cigarettes, 200 hits a day to keep addiction under control.....whew, that's serious. Stay strong and stay close. Takes awhile to get a grip on junkie thinking. NOPE, Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 175 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,513 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $875 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know the answer to this one......... :p There is no "right" time to quit smoking...... but....... ANYTIME anyone quits smoking is the "right" time! Good post Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 196 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,933 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $686 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brent, To answer your question... the right time to stop is when you want to quit more than you want to smoke. Only then will it be the right time. Great post. Very thought provoking. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/butterfly3.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,939 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $254.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with Hummy! So glad I've had u'all here doing it with me :) No matter what don't lite up... Keep on keepin on... Cherie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/22/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 326 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1304 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$26,766.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 585 Hours: 18

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"At least we don't have to do it on our own." Amen to that! :) Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 253 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,155 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1644.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$472,326.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5382 Hours: 17

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: