Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Body and Mind meditation....

14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete,

Thank you!! I am proud of myself, as well, for starting my therapy again. You mentioned group meditation therapy? Sounds very interesting. I like the sound of that. Thank you for taking an interest in the suggested meditation and although you aren't able to fully take it on just yet, I appreciate that you are optimistic about trying it in the future.

I too, have only used meditation for spiritual practice in the past. I have also used it for relaxation to help me go to sleep. But, this is the first time I am using it in a way that will calm my mind as well. I guess calm body = calm mind is the idea.

Thanks,

Fallabe12
goofy,

I don't know who the originator of this idea/technique is, but I will ask my therapist where this meditation came from and what the name is. As soon as I know, I will post it here. I would like to know that too.

Thanks,

Fallabe12
kittykat,

I am so glad you have read this post and have tried the meditation. It puts a smile on my face. I am glad you found it interesting. Thank you for your feedback.

Fallabe12
Luciana,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you are going to try the meditation I suggested. I hope I made it clear. Thank you also for helping to encourage others to post their experiences as well.

Fallabe12
14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fallabe:

Hey, good stuff starting the therapy!

And keep us posted with how things develop with this meditation.  The visualisation sounds interesting. I've done visualisation meditations before, but mainly in a religious (Buddhist) context, visualising different Buddhas and holy beings (all of which are representatives or archetypes of various qualities and virtues).

I'm struggling at the moment to reestablish a regular meditation practice, as my mind is just too agitated or too exhausted to rest in non-judgmental awareness. Hopefully I'll be going to some group meditation classes soon to give myself a kick on this.

I'll certainly give this technique a try when I feel I'll be able to concentrate sufficiently to establish the visualisation. Thanks for sharing it.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fallabel
I've not tried that; though a friend told me he was instructed to use that in therapy.  I didn't know if I should try it own my own or not.  I will do so and see what happens.  I wish I knew the name of it and what theorist uses it.  Of course, that's where my mind wonders when I read some new technique.  If she happens to share that information with you; I'd be interested in knowing.  In the meantime; I'll report back and thanks for sharing.

14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fallabe12,

This is interesting, thought about how in the past something made me sad and could really experience the sadness more fully and then tried of a happy moment. I think I will hold onto the happy moment though mch more for days when thinks are tougher.

Thank you for sharing. It awas an intersting experience, kind of hard to concentrate and focus at first but then got a hang of it. 

14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fallabe,

First of all, it is great that you are being proactive and have started therapy. Thank you so much for sharing that meditation experience with us.

I have tried mediation techniques before where you are in a sitting position as you mentioned, and start with breathing slowly, then think of relaxing your body from your outside to inside. You can think of your fingers and your feet relaxing, then your neck, shoulders, back and arms. As you continue breathing deeply in and out you should start feeling more at peace.

I haven't tired the one you mentioned, but I will, as soon as I find some quiet time to do so.

Members, please feel free to share your experiences with us, I'm curious to see what others think.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
If anyone has any other suggestion for meditation routines that also work, please list them here. It would be most helpful. Also, If you do try this meditation I suggested, give feedback on how it has been working for you. In addition, if you have tried this meditation or something very similar before, please share your experiences.

Thank you,

Fallabe12
Hello all,

I am proud to announce that I have taken a step forward and have started therapy. I have worked on my first session with my therapist. She suggested a very helpful meditation in order to keep calm and to hopefully gain some insight into some of the problems I am facing.

The meditation is to start with you tapping your hands on your knees from a relaxed, sitting position. Then, bring up images in your mind of certain life situations. The object of the exercise Is to focus on connecting the physical sensations with the feeling in your mind. Making this connection is extremely important because very often, even if we do not know how we are feeling in our heads, our bodies will know how we are feeling. We experience headaches, body aches, feelings of anxiety in our body, tenseness, etc. If we can learn to recognize the way our bodies are feeling physically and connect that to how we are feeling mentally, we can form a bod-mind connection that will help us to better understand soem of our issues, as well as find better ways to recognize the triggers/warning sign of an upcoming episode, as well as how to cope with it.

Visualization is key here!! Relax, keep an open mind and allow your thoughts to come naturally to you, do not force them. Think of a particular event in your life that has truly mad you sad or brought feelings of hopelessness or devastation into your life. For every action, there is a reaction, so try and think of a time when you remember something triggering your mood or a time when your negative mood was strongest. Then, keep going from memory to memory with no judgments, simply observation of your thought and mind. Once you feel you have sufficiently pictured an event, try to see how your body reacts to the emotions of that memory. Continue this for several memories. Then, picture someone in your life or a symbol in the world that represents what makes you feel protected. Connect those feeling with what you are physically feeling. Then think of a nurturer in your life and go with that. Again, connect with the physical sensations. The, think o a place in your mind, whether in reality or in your imagination that makes you feel calm and at peace. Now, take that feeling in and notice how your body feels. Now, visualize your future and where you would like to be. Then, visualize taking all your past memories, and thoughts of your future and place it in a container where you can store them and then reopen them at a later time. All the while, breathe deeply.

Hope this helps,

Fallabe12

Reading this thread: