Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

New to Service, Old acquaintances with Depression and Anxiety

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Steph, 
Welcome to the group, I am also new 
6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Steph, I get what you mean by not wanting to burden anyone, but if there is someone you trust and they are strong enough to handle it, it is helpful to have someone to talk to. I am struggling myself and only have my mother to talk to and she is elderly. I do hold back sometimes as I don't want her to worry, but it can help to get it off my chest. I have been finding that the counseling is not helping. I am trying to read books that lift me up, and for me, these are books that talk about the power of positive thinking and law of attraction. Sounds weird, but they have been the only things that have been making me feel like there is hope. Hope you are finding your way to feeling happier.
6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am new to this service but looking forward to working on my Depression (as much as anyone an look forward to that I suppose ;0) I guess I don't know where to start. Or where it started. I have been depressed before, years ago actually, and I know there was definitely times that I was not depressed up until now. I had a traumatic event about 120 days ago- my partner of 8 years left me and moved out of province - all in the one go. I know that was the start of this roller coaster and I am not off yet- perhaps I will be someday, but for now just learning how to deal with the bumps. Anxiety previously but now just the low, dull of depression seems to be my current companion, accompanied by small bursts of crying- they usually don't last more than 20-30 minutes max. Glad I can still work from home, but finding it hard to focus and really care about what I am doing. I feel like I am walking around pretending most days- pretending to care, to be engaged, to - everything really. I take meds, have a great GP, who helps me manage and has done a lot to reach out and be supportive. Done counseling of different types in the past 90 days and have yet to go back again, at the point I discontinued- I was doing relatively well and felt more optimistic. Been told I need to reach out more, but am not 100% sure what that means. I feel that my wellness is not something I really want to visit on family and friends- or anyone else for that matter- as it can be very debilitating for others to have to support that. I know it takes an emotional toll and a lot of time I just don't want to put someone else through that, since I know this is nothing new- it is a part of who I am- and although I experience time when I am well- it may come back again. It exhausts me, so why would it not exhaust someone else? Thoughts? Steph

Reading this thread: