Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,678 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

Hello...

9 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Walking and exercise tapes/dancing are great ways to make exercise less of a chore. Having a timer set for the light and using the bed for sleep only are great goals you two have already achieved. Nice work!

I wonder if there is a specific goal around movement you would be willing to commit to? Goals are great motivators but only when you feel ready to commit, of course.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 65 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I like the dancing in private idea. I have some exercise tapes that I used to use. Should dig them up to use this winter. I have an belly dancing DVD that is fun exercise. Yep, cold outside here as well. The first snow fall hit on Friday and it has not yet warmed up enough for it to melt. I hate winter. Short days get me down. I have a light in bed room on a timer that turns on 1/2 hour before clock alarm time. Really helps.
9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

I've been trying to at least go for a 15-20 minute walk when I start to feel really lethargic. I was exercising for a while, but have been slacking and would like to pick that back up! Even on a cold day like today, I just went for a short walk and feel much better.

I also am trying to avoid using my bed for anything other than sleeping! 
9 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome 3dan,

It sounds like you have a great strategy. Healthy eating, exercise and this program will definately make you feel better within a few short weeks. 

Staying motivatated to "exercise" can be a big challenge. It can be easier if you focus on doing things you enjoy and also reframe how you look at "exercise". Perhaps call it movement for the mind or dancing or whatever works for you. One strategy I use is if I have been sitting for awhile, I get up, stretch and (if no one is around) I do a little dance and let my body move the way it wants to. I find doing this a few times a day can really improve my mood and energy- especially on days where I am doing a lot of sitting.

How do you work movement for the mind into your day? Any ideas on how you might want to try adding more movement?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi, Those are things that I'd like to do too. Starting and continuing the exercise is the hardest part for me. I do ok with the healthy eating for a day or two at a time. I keep trying.
Hello,

I just recently signed up for the CBT program. I've been battling depression a long time, but ready to work on a program. I'm hoping to to eat healthier, exercise and be more active so my depression doesn't hold me down so much. Looking forward to talking with everyone here! 

Reading this thread: