Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

effects coming off of effexor????!!!!???

18 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I thought I would add my experience of Efexor (Effexor) to this discussion. I was obviously sorry to read of the bad withdrrawal reaction chhers, and some others, have had to this medication. I myself have, until relatively recetnly, been on Efexor for over 2 years on a highish dose. While I was on this medication I became aware that it did have somewhat of a reputation for bring hard to come off without unpleasant effects. Although, of course, cheers is perfectly correct in saying there are other meds, I would have to say, with respect, that I feel that it might be unhelpful for someone considering this medication with their doctor to rule it out altogether because of fear of withdrawal effects at a later date. I myself was switched from Efexor to fluoxetine (because I felt the Efexor was "wearing off"). I realise that this is of course different from coming off Effexor and not being on any medication at all. I would have to say, however, that fortunately I had no really bad effects from coming off Efexor at all, and certainly nothing of the horrendous kinds of experiences I have read about here and eleswhere. I don't discout or doubt those experiences, and I am very sorry that some people have had them, but the important word here is SOME. It is also important to realise that those "other meds" may THEMSELVES cause bad reactions in SOME people. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that just because someone avoids one med because of what they have read about it, and goes on another that it ITSELF might not be hard to get off FOR THEM! Or it may not work at all! There really are no easy answers here. There never is with depression or medications. What I think is really important though is for sufferers from depression to keep all their options open. By all means listen to others, that is what this group is about, and proceed with care as far as potential medications, or indeed any other treatment, are concerned. But what helps, or doesn't help, someone else may have an entirely different effect on YOU. This has obviously been the case with Efexor for me. It was a very effective medication for me, and as stated it was not at all difficult to come off. Don't rule out Efexor, or anything else,solely because of what someone else has said, b
18 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi members, Just a reminder to please be sure to consult with your doctor or pharmacist about any medication concerns. Casey ____________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team
18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was on Effexor for about 6 months. When I came off it the side effects were pretty extreme. Dizzyness, vertigo, but worse was the uncontrollable shaking and tremors! It was like I had electrical energy running though my body- I couldnt sit still-I felt like I needed to run 10k just to relieve myself of the excess energy! Ended up in hospital where they gave me adivan. That did help...but the tremors went on for about 3 days before I went into hospital. The doctors didnt think it was the effexor, but my psychiatrist said it probably was. I refused to go back on them, and will tell anyone who is starting them to NOT go on them! The side effects of withdrawal are not worth it. There are other meds!
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to the "powers that be" my medical carrier dedided that Effexor XR was not a necessary drug (too expensive?) to be used for depression. Their advice to me was find a substitute to replace it. Only problem, there isn't a replacement. Since I got that letter in Feb. my life has been hell. Weaning off of the Effexor to Cymbalta isn't working quickly enough and I have been spending the majority of my days crying, gettting angry, nausea, loss of appitite, the shakes, sleeping problems, etc. These are powerful drugs we are putting into our bodies and it will take some time for your system to clear out the old and allow the new to start to work. Only dang problem is that it takes a couple of weeks to get up to speed on how the drugs are expected to work. In the meantime, it makes for a "living hell" for me. I will cry if someone looks at me wrong, heck, I'll cry anytime, anywhere. I am so desparately waiting for the meds to kick in as the doctor explains they will. It just takes a while. Good luck with your w/d problems and just remember "this too shall pass" (So "they" say.) [size=4]Text[/size][font=Arial Black]Text[/font]
18 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, just wanted to thank you all for your information regarding coming off drugs. I am just starting to come off of alot of them, or at least it feels like alot.....I am coming off of Welbutrin first and thenI still have effexor and lithium to go. I am pretty nervous about coming off of them in terms of the side effects I might have but also because it has been awhile since I haven't been on anythingand I am not sure how I am going to feel??? Anyway, thank you for all of your input and information, it helps to have some idea what could possibly happen. I will be monitored by my doctors but I won't be with them all the time and I guess I will have a better idea what to expect and what to do if I start to feel really unwell. So, thank you all and I'll let you know how it goes. Take care
18 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to you all for your responses and concerns. I still have a little residual numbness in the face. It is agitating, but it is better than having the "drooping." After the "episode", I went throught the med book with the psych, and there was nothing noted on the symptom from comong off of the med as being stroke-like. I am not saying that it definitely had nothing to do with it as the dizziness was a definite side effect, just tired of trying to figure it out. I had to (for my own sanity-if that is a real word anymore) just accept the fact that I had a mild stroke and move on. this is the only thing that has kept me from losing it. I still at times cannot believe it happened to me...sorry, I am rambling... I am greatful for all of the posts on this site, even the ones not responding directly to my posts. I don't get on here much...which is why there is a delay in my post, but don't know where I would be now if I didn't have the posts to read to help ground me. When things are bad on my end...it puts things into perspective (most of the time, that is) and I see what others are enduring and think that if they can then so can I and move on. This depression "thing" has really thrown me for a loop. I used to (lying to myself, of course) think I had it all...great partner, great friends, great family, great job etc. I have realized over the past 3 years of openly dealing with my depression that this was all a farce and my keeping this facade up was all that kept me going. In retrospect, I see how totally off I was and how distorted my vision had been pretty much my adult (and yes, most of my childhood) life. It is scary watching your life speed by you without having the energy on most days or know how to get back into it. So many of the "friends" keep me at arm's length to keep me from sucking them into my downward spiral. Even the family. Depression, I have found, is a very lonely disorder. Even my partner get's tired of the "cycles". Even I get tired. I don't know if it is obvious or not, but this is one of my low times. After the "stroke" I was doing well...the holidays, not a sad thought went through my head...it wasn't until Sunday that the tide shifted and I started to flounder. As of now, I don't know where I am emotiona
18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
These are all great points! Talking with a medical professional before stopping your meds is important. If you are unable to seek medical attention then go right to the ER and a medical professional will indeed attend to you. Your doctor knows you best and does indeed have the education to find what medication is right for you. The main point here is that you and your doctor have to work together. Great thread members! Melanie _____________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team
18 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Soootired - Brain zaps - at least what happened to me - well it's like an electrical shock goes thru your brain. Not a huge one - I have some ringing in my ears most of the time, but when it zaps it's like the ringing stops being constant and goes "zap, zap zap" - I had similar sensations on my skin when taking Prozac - i described it as feeling as tho I were walking around with my finger in an electrical outlet (with just a small constant current). I'm really tired and had a terrible night last night - ended up going on a suicide prevention website for some comfort. This 25 mg of Lamictal just isn't doing it and I can't "up" it for another week plus. I called my pdoc and left a message and he hasn't returned my call yet. I cried at work for no reason and sent my boss and email that if I couldn't pull myself together I'd have to resign. He is a wonderful man and wouldn't hear of it - but everyone can get really tired of this kind of behavior, no matter how kind and nice they are. Love to everyone on these meds - when they work they are magic, but until they do, it's such Hell, and so lonely because none of the pro's will listen to me, it seems. Thanks to all who do listen - my thoughts and prayers are with everyone suffering tonight.....
18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
dss.. i too was on effexor and took myself off as it seemed to make me more angry. i got sick and threw up, often felt dizzy, and suffered bad headaches. i just cannot believe all the things you went through with this stuff and they tell us these meds are safe! it's really scarey especially since so many med companies have lawsuits against them. yet without them where would we be? i too have trouble with words and just thought i was loosing my mind and memory at age 27. so thank you for bringing this to our attention! hope you are feeling better now and things get back to normal. ms. puck i agree with your statements. we have a right to know that these meds have serious effects and they don't even tell us the half of it. it makes me mad that they take a chance with our lives just to make a buck. oh and what are brain zaps? thats one i have never heard of.
18 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Late reply, but before I went on Effexor, I read a lot on the Internet about it, and the side effects you describe have been felt by others before. Some have had flu symptoms along with those you describe for up to 5 weeks!! I was on it only about 8 days and did not reduce dosage - just went off. I was slightly dizzy and have ringing in my ears and the brain zaps that people talk about, but they are not too bad and hopefully will go away. My psychiatrist denys that Effexor would have any withdrawal effects after such a short period on them, but since he told me that have NO SIDE effects at all and in fact, most anit-depressant are GOOD for your brain, I dont' really trust him to tell me the truth. Sometimes I think that these "guys" think that their patients will "get" side effects if we are told about them. This isn't true - I felt none of the other side effects described online, don't have a rash from Lamictal - but I think we are owed the respect of hearing what MIGHT occur and making the decision as best we can with the help of the medical folks. I know these medications can be life=saving, but I think they can also be fraught with side effects that, if explained to us, can be tolerated until they go away (if they go away!!)

Reading this thread: