Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

I'm with Rosie

14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Right on Goofy!
You have an incredible attitude, and have come so far!
Keep up the amazing work, and please hang on to that great attitude of yours 

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley, Initially, I played by the CBT "book".  I set small goals (i.e. going to a gf house for a glass of tea), babysitting my granddaughter, etc.  This made things easier.  I started challenging those negative thoughts and realizing that no matter waht happened I always have something to be grateful for.
I forget to pay a bill - grateful I have the money to pay it.
I can't read the newspaper due to focus and concentration - grateful that I have eyes to see
I have major depression - grateful it's something I can live with
So I started off with babysteps and now, I am becoming more aware of things that trigger the depression and avoiding them or developing ways to deal with them (depending on the situation).  Also recognizing when I am in a situation that I need to get out of.  I've learned not to sacrafice self to help others, it's okay to say no and I've started setting more boundaries.  Do I do these things consistently?  NO, but I'm taking it one day at at time, one moment at a time and accepting that this is the life I have, not necessarily the life I'd choose and being appreciative and grateful for the many things that I do have in my life. 
Initially, as well as making myself get out of the house, I started exercising on my treadill, eating better and (the hard part), not letting myself sleep all day long and all night long, too.  I don't think I'm very far along in the program, only being on Session 5; that's where I need to go from here, but taking my time and fighting those negative core beliefs and identifying the negative self-talk was a very important thing for me to do.  I know I have much work to do, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes.  I used to have to "fake" smiling and being nice and saying "fine, ty".  Now, I can say it most times and mean it.  Of course , I comply with medications, keep dr. appts, see a therapist and have been working CBT. 
I think I'm rattling, but there are so many answers to that question.

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

Wow this was a very refreshing read. I am so happy for you.  You are doing so well and you should be so proud of yourself.  You are accomplishing so much. Its great that you are busy but still trying to find time to continue to improve yourself and your mental health.  Set goals for yourself (even small ones) and keep working through the program.  Post often.  We love hearing about your success .

What have been some powerful realizations that you have made that has helped you get to where you are today?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know I haven't been here in a while, but I've been busy.  I quit my job at the alcohol/drug long-term treatment center (negative environment). Started back in therapy.  Working and staying busy with settling dad's estate, growing closer to my brother, helping my kids renovate mom and dad's house (they bought it), going places, meeting new friends and continue to use what I learned here.  I think I need to start working more of the sessions, but the first 4, once I took my time with them and really focused on what I needed to do, it's worked.
I can't say life is perfect or the depression is gone.  It's not so hard to fight it everyday just some days.  I am enjoying life more, taking my meds, seeing my therapist every two weeks and laughing.  I had forgot how great it felt to have that deep down belly laugh.  My friends are coming back around, because I'm going back around.  I'll be coming back in more to complete what I've started, but I am very busy!  ahhhhhhhh, and it feels good.  I am taking care of me!!!!! ahhhhhh, and it feels good!  I have more positive thoughts, more positive actions and more positive attitude.  
I still have problems with focus and concentration, but I try to stay focused on what I can do, not what I can't do.  So I won't go there with you.
Just had to share, since I've not been here in a while.  I'm grateful for things I have in my life.  I hope to be healthy enough to start dating again. I think that would be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have that to look forward to and try ot find something to look forward to each day.  Set those goals, set the steps and go for it, babysteps work best for me.

Like I said, the depression isn't gone, but it's more manageable and I'm starting to live life again despite it all!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement and for this online CBT program.  I will be around like I said, more work to be done here too.  I'm going to go read the mod's post on time management.  That will help for sure.

Reading this thread: