Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Finally getting help now but feeling like I´m going nowhere

10 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To all, we are the best resources for change,  We understand, Goal setting is a priority,

Also, if you are Canadian, Americans do have access to the CSAZ1003 as well, setting goals at  ur workplace to adopt a mentally healthy workplace. I am a case study and the research is plentiful, work culture can be proactive for mental health as well as assist with timely and effective recovery of mental illness.

God
bless  all on this journey,
Mental illness can be a journey of recovery!!!!
10 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TeacherChick, It is really nice you have goals, they are an important step for you to start feeling better. I think you have many goals to start working on. You can choose one goal that it is more important for you now and start working on it. Then you could another goal, and so on. The important thing is not to feel,overwhelmed with too much thing to do.
10 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Nancy! I am working on it. 
My goal is to change some things that I am stuck on.
Goals:
1. Distract myself and try not to think about work and try to focus on me (try to avoid negative thoughts).
2. Eat; I don't eat well and have no appetite. This has to be my biggest struggle in order to get myself better.
3. Exercise; I have no energy anymore and it's not only affecting me but also my children.
4. Sleep properly; I am so tired and my sleep at night is so disrupted. I am having a hard time to allow myself to just not think.
5. Find things I like; I need to rewire my brain and find again what I do like. I lost complete sight on what activities make me happy.
6. Go out in public; I have a big fear of running into people. I am not happy with what is happening to me and I am ashamed. I don't want others to know.
7. Get more assertive; I need to train myself to stand up and speak up. That is the whole reason for my illness. I am always accommodating everyone and seem to always put others before myself.
8. Get focussed; I seem to zone out often and have a hard time getting back to reality in order to take those steps to get better.
It's good that I am finally able to have some clarity and know what needs to be changed. The only problem now is actually finding what will help me change. Still waiting for professional help to guide me in order for me to prioritize what changes is most important and how to go about doing it.
Teacherchick
10 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Teacher chick and Ashley,

I know exactly what you are saying. I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety in my 20s but did NOT need hospitalization till my 40s.

I worked in an amazingly therapeutic work environment and was on my way to my doctorate when I changed hospitals and moved to a "toxic" work environment. The horror stories begin there as I voluntarily disclosed to the management (as some knew in my old hospital) and suddenly even though I had more experience and education than the manager, I was "flagged".  Too many horror stories and I will continue to work to the best of my ability to ensure others do not experience this is their work environment.

I do not know if you are Canadian, but a recently developed standard called the Psychological Health and Safety in the workplace Management System is gaining a lot of momentum.  This is why I call myself csaz1003. This is the standard.

We have the opportunity to be the best resources for ourselves and others to push for implementation.
Bell Canada has ALREADY had a return on investment far greater than they ever expected;

Teacherchick-I understand so well. 20 years, I loved my work, then suddenly the depression and anxiety overwhelmed me in this new environment. We work greatest portion of our lives, I sympathize so much.

My prayers,
Nancy

10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome TeacherChick,

I am sorry you are feeling this way. I think it is great you are going to be talking to a psychologist to get to the bottom of this. Doing the program in the mean time is a great idea. Stick with it and be sure to do the homework. Within a few weeks you should notice a difference. Ruminating on work stress can be so debilitating.  My only advice to you, other then focusing on the program, would be to learn relaxation techniques and try to catch yourself each time you have a negative thought about work. We are what we think and what whatever we focus on has more power. When we focus on all the negatives about work it can really start to take over. What thoughts do you want to focus your energy on?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I finally went to the doctor in December because my mom made me promise. I was taken off work for depression, was prescribed Sertraline (Zoloft) and referred to a psychologist/psychiatrist. Still waiting to get a phone call but feel helpless in the meantime. Just started Session 1 today to feel like I'm doing something.
This illness was triggered by occupational stress. I have been feeling blue for a long time now and just kept going because I had to. I stopped spending good quality time with my kids and husband because I was so tired all the time. I am still tired and think about work constantly even though I'm not there.
What made me get help was an incidentthat happened and I wasn't even aware I was doing it. I found myself walking outside in freezing cold weather. Where was I planning to go, I don't know. When I realized what I was doing, I texted my mom. Why not my husband, I am still trying to figure it out. My mom asked if I was ok, I texted, yeah I have to be ok, I have no choice. That really worried my mom and I got help. That was when I realized that it's not just the blues anymore. I am off work but feel like there is no improvement. The only improvement is that I'm not crying all the time. I only cry when I talk or think of work.
What can I do in the meantime to help myself? I am trying to get going but I find it so difficult. I can't keep living like this. Any suggestions?

Reading this thread: