Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,518 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

New member - is this normal?

14 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy, I wish I could run over and give you a big hug. Thank you.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tiger T, say what you think, feel, how you can relate to what we say or as you said say nothing at all.  Do what is best for you.  However, we'll value your opinion and insight.  We always take suggestions and evaluate others experiences to see if they can help us!  I look forward to your sharing anything you choose to when you are comfortable with it.
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya TigerT,

I agree with Furgitit, that "normal" in depression takes on a new sense! Worse case, speak to your doctor about your side effects...

Anyway, welcome to the forums!
Thank you for your replies.
 It's funny I haven't known what to say other than thank you, and that it is nice to know there are people out there that appear to have similar thoughts and experiences to me. I've been reading your replies a couple of times a week and while not knowing what to say in return, I have felt much less alone, and a little bit stronger.
TigerT

14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have found that with depression, anything and everything is normal.  From the most obscure and destructive thoughts to the moments of crystal clarity and peace.  These are all fleeting but when depressed, we tend to focus more on obscure, or depressing thoughts.  Cherish the moments of clairty and peace and someday (I hope) there will be more moments like that than the obscure and destructive moments.
And welcome TigerT.  We are always glad to make new friends.
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TigerT and welcome to the Support Group.  I look forward to seeing you around and reading your posts.

Effexor did have that side effect on me; however, I reported it to my physician right away.  I would encourage you to do so as well.  He/She can help you with that and help put you more at ease with those thoughts or images.

Again, look forward to seeing soon.

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TigerT,

Welcome to the group.  I am glad you are starting to feel better.  I am not sure I can say if it is "normal" or not.  Every individual is different and normal can mean different things to different people.  What we should focus on is that you feel like yourself again!  That is great! Enjoy it.  

Now would be a great time to start the Depression Program.  It is good to prepare yourself in case you start to feel down again.  Another good thing to start is a journal.  Journaling can be very helpful and even can help you to identify triggers.  Many members use their blogs as a journal. 

Keep posting!  I am looking forward to reading more from you.

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi,
I was diagnosed with depression a few weeks ago and have been on Efexor.
I've gone from being "numb"/"empty",  like there was not a single thought in my head and I was unable to concentrate enough to read (a passion of mine). I woke up today and felt like I was "back" and alive again, but kept on having moments of vitriolic thoughts running through my head.
Is this normal? Does this mean the antidepressants are working and I'm getting better?

Also: I've been trying to do things to help and make myself feel better, my doc told me to take care of myself. But exercise (another love of mine) hasn't been working, I barely have enough energy to walk around the block. I've been burning oils and that has kind-of helped. What does everyone else do?
Thanks.

Reading this thread: