Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Am I considered MDD even though I currently have no symptoms?

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It sounds like you have set a lot of good goals for yourself Lisa.  That is great!  Let us know how it goes and post as often as you wish.  We will be here for you whenever you need us.

Stay Strong,
Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it. Yes, I am on medication, since 2000. The doctors have recommended staying on them indefinitely. Even though I'm not experiencing an "episode", I plan to continue with The Depression Center program and visiting the forums to try to understand MDD better, and get some group support. This is the best site I've found so far. thanks!
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lisa, I had a major depression episode when I was 19, it did not rear it's ugly head again until I was 40.  I didn't consider myself to have MDD.  However, now I do.  And it's Severe and Chronic.  I don't think my experience is indicative or predictive of what you will or won't experience.  I share it for what it is worth to you.  I also have an issue with the label.  If you are not in experiencing any symptoms does it really matter if you have MDD. 
I do think irregardless of the label or MDD, a person can benefit from this program and if your MDD does recur then you will be more prepared to deal with it, maybe minimize the effects on your global functioning and shorten the episode.  I hope that you never have another episode but I wouldn't let whether or not you have or don't have the diagnosis be a major consideration at anytime. The main focus, it seems to me, would be taking preventative measures which may as I said above help you if it does recur.
I think this CBT program is great. 
One question I do have for you - are you taking medications for MDD?  If you are - do not stop taking them. 

14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a great question Lisa. Have you asked your doctor about this?
It seems that at the time it would make sense to diagnose you with major depressive disorder, however if you have not had a depressive episode in 3 years it would seem that you were having a major depressive episode. Major depressive episodes are characterized by the presence of a severely depressed mood that persists for at least two weeks. Episodes may be isolated or recurrent and are categorized as mild, moderate, or severe.

Members, have you had any similar experiences? What are your thoughts on this?

Lisa, please take the time to read through the program and to explore the tools and resources that are available to you through this site. You may find them helpful, and they may help to answer some of your questions.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm 37 years old. I've had 3 episodes of major depression in the last 20 years.I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder during my 2nd episode. It's been 3 years since my last episode. So, my question is, am I still considered to be under a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder even when I don't have symptoms? Or, do I "have Major Depressive Disorder" only when I have an episode?

Reading this thread: