Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,654 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

Stress...

16 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Confused gets my "thought record of the day" award! There's lies, damn lies, and statistics. All that the research can show is that the statistics indicates certain patterns that appear across a large population over time. The rest is, ironically, interpretation. Even medical science leans on interpretation, no matter how much it strives for objectivity. Like Confused I think that we need to work on identifying interpretations in our lives that yield positive expectations of ourselves and others. And I would prefer to expect that I am going to get better at handling this. Ava
16 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, Confused. You gave me the first smile I've had in a long, rough time. A most welcomed shot (example) of optimism!
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Confused, Well said and good point! You are right, this will not apply to everyone! Many individuals only experience one depressive episode, learn new ways to cope with tough stressors and keep going. Again, just be aware and keep up the hard work! Danielle ___________________ The DC Support Team
16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Danielle, for your clarification. From my perspective, however, of all the helpful information that is in this post, the suggestion that one depressive episode puts us at higher risk for another is the one piece that is unhelpful and not entirely true. I'm curious as to why you feel that this is an important point to get across when there is a large and growing amount of evidence to show that people can and do overcome a major depressive episode and never experience another. It doesn't happen without work -- I came across a Jay Leno quip: "They came out with a new weight loss drug this week. Thank God! I was afraid I was going to have to watch my diet and exercise!" -- and hard work at that, but to say that anybody who experiences depression is forever predisposed regardless of the work that they've put in...? That sounds like all-or-nothing thinking to me, or perhaps over-generalization? I think that it's time to bring out a Thought Record and look at the evidence that this is true as compared to the evidence that this is not true, and develop some alternative thoughts that are more in line with the evidence. :)
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Confused, You brought up many interesting points throughout your post. I'd like to point out that what is important to take away from this post is the recognition that one depressive episode puts you at higher risk for another. As the educational post suggests, if an individual with a history of depression is more likely to experience an exaggerated stress response to what is considered a minor stressor, then all the more important to load up your arsenal of coping strategies. So, keep working through the program! Hope this helps to clarify. Danielle _____________________ The DC Support Team
16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to agree with Ava, Casey. I find it more than a little depressing and de-motivating to think that I am now and forever predisposed to depressive episodes because of permanent changes in brain chemicals, particularly when the suggestion comes alongside the suggestion that we can change the way we think, feel, behave. I don't disagree with the statement that how we feel is related to chemicals in the brain, but the same experts who say this (except for drug companies, but that's another post) also say that the relationship is two-way. And isn't the point of this program to change the way we think and behave in order to change the way we feel, which would then change our brain chemicals in a positive way? I actually believe that I'm building/rebuilding my coping mechanisms and that I will come through this better equipped to deal with life's stressors than many people because of that, and I don't think that that is my ostrich speaking. Technically, we need a certain amount of stress in order to move. We each have a different threshold, though, for when stress moves from positive and motivating to negative and depressing. That threshold is determined by any number of things -- genetics, personality style, life experiences, ways we've learned to cope, how many other stressors we're facing at the time... Our world is becoming more and more stressful and the more we learn about the things that affect our personal thresholds and how to strengthen our ability to cope, deal, let go, the better. I'm reading a book currently called "Perfect Madness -- Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety". As well as being an interesting read, I think it's a great title that can, unfortunately, be applied to much of life these days. "A Tough Climb -- Leadership in the Age of Anxiety"... "Scattered Minds -- Education in the Age of Anxiety"... It's no wonder so many of us are cracking under the pressure. And I don't find it helpful, or accurate, to suggest that once we're cracked, we're broken.
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ava, Sharing with one another can be beneficial. We learn from one another's experiences and it can help in our day to day challenges. The site is here to help you progress and move forward. There will be many success stories and many issues that need answering. The members know what you are going through and can be of some assistance. Read the information and experiences, take what you need and leave the rest :) Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
16 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Am I the only person that finds that post more than a little... depressing? I think many of us have worked out that certain life-events either triggered the depression, or are associated with it's recurrence. But I really don't like to hear the news that it gets easier and easier to fall back into it. That is information I could do without to be honest. For those who have been through it more than once, or who have had their ups and downs this isn't really the cheeriest news. Even if it's true, is it really helpful? So, in the spirit of challenging negative thinking... surely we can put this in a slightly better light? Maybe those studies don't look at people under treatment, or who have mastered some skills for dealing with it? Or maybe brain chemistry does get worse with time, but maybe what counts is still how we respond to the prompts of that chemistry... I am doing my best here, any other ideas would be welcome. Ava
16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, There are several causes of depression. Stress has been a popular topic here lately. Depression is clearly associated with stress, negative life events and problems in living. Stressful life events have been found to be associated with general health and well-being. Research has shown that people report an increased number of stressful life events in the weeks leading up to a depressive episode. Any change in the environment, even a positive one, can result in the experience of stress. So, for example, the death of a loved one, the loss of a job, or the end of a relationship can all be considered as significant stressful events. However, even positive changes such as marriage, promotion at work, birth of a child, going away to school, or moving to a new home can also cause stress. The most common problems in living in adult life include the break-up of romantic relationships, conflict, disagreements and disputes in relationships at work or home, role transitions (adolescent to adult, student to employee, single life to marriage, parenthood, children leaving home, retirement), death of a loved one, financial problems, unemployment, racism, discrimination, harassment, bullying, poor physical health, and any number of traumatic events. Stressful life events have specific effects on stress hormones and neurotransmitters in our brains. The effects of stress hormones on the brain may even increase a persons vulnerability to depression. Depression is associated with specific problems with the balance of many neurotransmitters as well as physical, behavioral and psychological symptoms. It makes sense that the chemistry of the brain is changed in depression. We know that the body and the brain are not separate. How we feel, think and behave is related to changes in chemicals in the brain. Maybe more importantly, it seems that experiencing depression actually changes how the brain responds to stress. It seems that once a person has had one episode of depression, their brain shows an exaggerated stress response to relatively minor stressors. In other words, while an initial episode of depression may be triggered by a major negative life event, later episodes of depression may be triggered by more minor negative life events. Perhaps this i

Reading this thread: