Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Our Community - Let´s grow it!

10 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It seems to me that I am the only one going through the hell of panic attacks and anxiety right now, that everyone else has been in my position at some point but has recovered so I am not always confident that anyone shares my fears or need for reassurance. I dont want to be a burden so sometimes I suck it up and come on here only when I am utterly bewildered.
Are there any members in my shoes?
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

The anonymity that we're asked to take while online and the guidelines like the "don't s" of supporting each other.  Some day we'll have Skype!

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hugs

Which community rule?

Living in shells: You are who you associate with or in this case what. If you spend a lot of time with computers you will become black or white, yes or no. Right or wrong. The object of forums is to prevent that by adding a personal touch instead of it just being black or white. More and more people are getting away from the social aspects of life. They don't talk to their neighbours, their home is their complete circle and they bring what they want to it like packrats instead of going to it. They have their place to park their car when they come home and their big screen monitor to look at the world. They are upset when their kids are cruising the mall instead of at home in the shell with them. But they forget that their kids are social creatures that have not learned how to live in a shell yet. But they will. They will learn to sit in front of the monitor of their choice watching the world go by and in no time they will be just like the rest. Searching for something they have become afraid of. Social interaction. At one time this would have been science fiction but now it is becoming reality. It just might become a cure for HIV but right now it is creating a problem bigger than it. One just as incurable. A world of me first, a world of toys instead of associates. Cold and impersonal. How many machines rule your life already? When was the last time you spent a whole day without them? When was the last time you reached out and said hello to someone you don't know? When was the last time you saw the sun set?
The prison gates are open and we are in a headlong rush to be the first to get in. So far the door is open, we can still leave. But do we want to, are we afraid to? Everything has a price, one I can't for sanities sake afford to pay.

Davit

Ignore me, this is just my take and I see it as run away out of control, it is going to happen because man is self destructive
in nature. Always has been. Everything useful eventually becomes a weapon in this war. 
So we are, in a sense, living in shells, or "closets"...but it's a community "rule" which is another restriction...
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley

Sitting in my chair I realized we made a mistake. Because this is such a fine community and because the social aspect of CBT is so important and proved to be so over and over we forgot one important point. This is still internet. Internets most important feature are the fact it is impersonal. It is grab and run. It is information with no contact. It is anonymous. 
Information is only part of the cure. We as homo sapiens are not meant to live in a shell. But more and more we do.
People are coming here to do the program and for the information like they would at any other site. But without the social side there is no way to put this information into practice. Especially if the reason they are here in the first place is that they have become a product of this modern limited contact world. We can not all be introverts. So although what we are trying to do is a good thing it may not work with all the principles of the internet against us. Still some will benefit from the program if they are self starters. Just such a shame some need more and it is here, just not normal practice.

I'm surprised I noticed this because for those of us comfortable here this does not feel like internet. It feels like home. Home and good friends.

Davit

See even our names are anonymous.
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just a suggestion.....There are also 2 posts on this thread topic under the thread titled "small steps equal success" between Davit and I that the educator Ashley or one of the other Educators may want to move over here under this thread..So they do not get missed by anyone reading on this topic..That way we all get the whole picture in one place  under one thread without missing anyones input..

Red..

Hugs,
 Thanks for the tip on the book. The analogy is interesting..Good input on having a emotional timetable and respecting others emotional timetables too..You have given me some things to think about..and I have to say it makes sense to me..I think I need to pay more attention to my emotional timetable and quit pushing myself so hard to meet the emotional needs of others..When I look at it from this point of view I can see that there is no way that I can know what someone else's emotional needs are or expect them to respond to me when I need it. This is to much of a burden to put on another person. Now that you have brought this to light I can see that we do need to respect each others emotional time tables as you put it..Good Point..

Red..

Now that the lidocaine has worn off my frozen brain, which
does(or attempts to) do the thinking, and the construction has stopped in the
neighbourhood, and I’ve had light workout, I can make an attempt at
contributing, since I can move my jaw to eat, and I don’t have a migraine.

Engagement is a popular buzzword these days, and I think
that it’s great to have this community. 
There are so many things competing for people’s attention, and I can
understand why it’s hard to get people involved. I remember a teaching assistant remarking how
universities were bending over for students many years ago, similar to how
associations were having problems get their members to vote, or levels of
government wishing better turnouts, or prayer groups trying to sustain
membership, or work environments trying to improve employee satisfaction.

I’ve noticed this over the years in different situations,
but we can’t all be involved in all things, so we set priorities.

What’s unique about this community and it’s members is that
the members have a common fear which inhibits participation and is a disease. 

I was personally afraid of looking stupid, of not having
anonymity, and of not knowing whether the forum would really help, and  conflict is unattractive.   I’ve regretted not being more involved in
life generally, but I have my “emotional timetable”, and respect others’
emotional timetables.

Contemporary journalist Malcolm Gladwell describes
successful engagement in his book “The Tipping Point”, if you wish to read
about his formula. He cites 3 types of
people. One is the expert who has
knowledge, another is the connector who knows people, and the last type of
person is the influencer who can convince people for the revolutionary change.

Sorry I mean to say the forum titled " Goal setting and Exposure planning..

I guess I am bit tired and spread to thin today..with posting a response here and having to rethink and do a redo on my post in the quit smoking site. 

Oh and I forgot to mention make sure you take time for self care so that you don't crash and burn like I have done a few time over the years..

Red....

I think it would be great if we could make sure we encourage people who have started threads under forum subject titled  "Goal setting and Exposure work" and the Forum titled "Challenging your anxious and negative thoughts"
with some kind of acknowledgment and support if possible when we are logged. These two things were and are a big part of the CBT program for me and my be for the new member too.  I know really I looked forward to reading new threads subjects these threads when I first came here and I still do..

Red..

Reading this thread: