Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

I have a couple of questions, can someone help?

11 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Knowing now that its panic helps. When it first happened, I thought I was dying. I still get very scared when it happens but I try to sit down and breathe to calm myself. Sometimes it goes away quickly, sometimes I'm uneasy the rest of the day.
I have just started this program and I really do feel like it is helpful to learn about what is affecting me and how to try to help it.

11 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Josh,

Our fabulous members have already given you all the important bits of advice so I don't have too much to add...

Feeling weakness in the legs is a common anxiety/panic symptom. And Davit is right if you change your thoughts the symptom will start to diminish. The program will all the tools you need to change these anxious thoughts. If you put the work in you should start to see an impact in as little as a few weeks.

Keep us updated in how you are doing.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Josh

The simplified definition of Agoraphobia is a fear of open places, or at least it was. It has lately been expanded to a fear of having no control over a situation or situations. This is because of the way to cure it.

You may have found yourself using the answer and not realizing it. Have you ever said to yourself "I can do this" when you had to enter a situation you did not want to?
This is control. It is you having control rather than the situation. 
You are dealing with the mental here rather than the physical. A dog trying to bite you would be physical and you would deal with it physical. The only mental would be deciding how to.
Entering a building is mental not physical even though the symptoms (weak knees, fast heart rate) are physical. The program will give you relaxation techniques and coping skills and I will leave it to the moderators to tell you which sections will help you. I do recommend you do the whole thing though.
Learning these skills will reduce the physical symptoms reducing the focus and helping to take back control.
Then it is a matter of saying "I am doing this because I want to", Never ever "because I have too".
The first leads to confidence, the second just adds more fear.
Most phobias are sub phobias of Agoraphobia and treated the same way. 
Using this technique to cure Agoraphobia also cures all the sub phobias even though the technique may be slightly different for each. 
Once you can enter a building or situation then you do exposure as a test to see how well you can use the techniques you have learned. Eventually you will for the most part do it automatically. Neither you or anyone else will notice. As for set backs, and there will be some, they will be minor because of the skills you have learned.
Feel free to ask any questions at any time.
At one time I got so bad that I could not even drive to a store let alone enter it. All is fine now.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Josh,  I'm Shari and I am cured of Agoraphobia and Panic Disorder, for two years now.  My success is due to following the program on this site, along with help from this support group.  You are not alone and it helps to post, because you can ask questions that are specific to your situation.  I felt better after starting the first session.  You identify your triggers and learn coping skills to retrain your thought process with positive thoughts, replacing your negative thoughts.  Panic is a learned behavior and the good news about that, is that you can unlearn the behavior and be cured.  You came to the right place. You will get a lot of support here and you will get better and overcome panic.  There are specific coping skills for the "What if's".  And, I used to fear having panic attacks as well.  Even people without panic disorder have anxiety at times and it's normal.  I still have anxiety at times, but the difference is, that it never kicks into panic anymore. When you focus on your physical symptoms, it gets worse.  Your brain can talk you into panic or to realize these symptoms are temporary, and are nothing to fear, and you talk yourself out of panic with positive truthful statements and believe them.  It requires commitment and work and practice and I was determined to end panic disorder and I did.  I encourage you to begin the program and stick with it through the end.  There are no shortcuts, but the results are worth it.  I know you will succeed and you have 100% support from everyone here.  

Shari
11 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the reply Davit, So what I need to do is change my thought process? Is there anything on this website to help? An no im not to familar with Agoraphobia, will this prgram help it?
Thanks for the reply Davit, So what I need to do is change my thought process? Is there anything on this website to help?
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Josh

How much do you know about Agoraphobia. It is more about control of the situation than the situation and gets worse each time you fail. On the other hand it gets better each time you don't. So you can see the answer is to learn to take back control. Think about it. What is keeping you from entering a place? The place? Not likely, it is just a place. The problem is the thought and the thought starts with you. If you think you can't then you can't but if you think you can you can. This is control, either you control the situation or it controls you. Okay that is the simple of it, the practical takes more work but it works. This by the way is personal experience and it does work.

Davit
  Ok so here goes, Why do I only get nervous/panicky at a store or public areas? I am fine just when I go to a store or restuarants etc. My Heart starts to race, My legs feel so weak, I feel faint, an My Mind is nothing but WHAT IF'S. What is so scary for me is the WEAK LEGS, I mean what causes that? An how do I get out of this Vicious Circle of Fear? Fear of having a Panic Attack. I heard you couldn't pass out but when I go shopping my legs feel so weak an it feels like im gonna pass out. What can I do for this? Thanks an GOD Bless....

Reading this thread: