Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Your Help?

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Members,

Thank you for sharing empowering tips that have helped you through times of anxiety & panic - learning that you have it in you to overcome these difficult times and drawing on your inner strength, trusting yourself.  It's inspiring! 

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
museluver

I'm glad to see you have found the road for you and you are going down it. I'm glad you are getting support from your family. Here for you. It will be long but you know that don't you.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

9 1/2 Weeks on ~ I have been doing my therapy religiously every day, sometimes I will come on the site several times each day for guidance, support, education and sometimes just for the company of others going through similar experiences to myself.I know it is still early days in my therapy, I have had so much counseling in the past 20 years and realize that it didn't work because I didn't fully commit to it, in fact apart from my marriage I don't think I have fully committed to anything in my life. But then again Is that just MY thinking or is it the thinking of everyone who knows me?.

I know now that when I think negatively about things to stop for a moment think of the same thing as someone else and find my opinion is different, therefore proving the fact that it IS my way of thinking that has ruined so many relationships and situations in my life and only I can change those thoughts.

Since my first blog, I have, I feel I have made some progress, I am still not taking the Zoloft, but instead of waiting for my medical practitioner to actually help me (I have waited too many years to count) I have changed surgeries and now have a new Dr reviewing my medication.

Luckily I have not suffered many side effects from the withdrawal.

After I was arrested I self referred myself to a National Health Service counseling course and have had my assessment, but I also didn't sit and wait for people to do things for me, the OLD me would have sat back and let everyone else do the running around. I rang my hospital and arranged to get photocopies of all my mental health records which I knew would help in my case, as I knew what happened that day was not actions I would have done willingly and consciously.

I  also had a pre-sentencing report written, talking to the probation officer assigned helped us both realize the actions of that day were SO out of character for me, that I knew in the end everything would be fine. I took responsibility for my actions even though the medication had been a huge factor in what occurred.

I attended court for my sentencing on Thursday this week, I had been having daily panic

attacks since the incident and my anorexia had returned with avengence, but I knew this had to be done, I had to move on with this and begin to LIVE my life.  I attended court alone, I sat in court for 9 hours waiting for my case to be called, The seats were those very cold metal ones with holes in, it was snowing and dark outside, I was freezing, tired and had a migraine, My spine ( which I broke in 94, was really hurting, also as my anorexia had returned I had just bones poking into the metal chair, when I got home I had a huge round bruise with holes imprinted into it, which made me laugh) but I knew it was my own fault I was there so just told myself to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it. I felt calm even though I was alone I knew that the people that mattered most to me who couldn't be there were there in spirit, my partner had to work but was messaging me all day. Because of certain facts in my mental health records ( being raped twice)  I was left until the last case of the day to make me feel more comfortable which was very considerate of my barrister. When I entered the dock I was asked to take a seat whilst the judge read through my pre-sentencing report, this was when I began to feel those familiar feelings, pounding heart, dizziness, nausea, tingling, I put my box breathing to use and within 10 minutes was once again feeling calm.

When It was time for sentencing I stood and I was dreading the result, (he had been rather harsh with his sentencing that day with other people and listening to other cases I realized that many of the people had similar problems to me, be it alcoholism,  victim of rape, assault etc), and that was when I had my epiphany, I'm not mad I just need guidance and support to help me be the good person I really am.

I was given a fine and told to go home, continue with my therapy which was obviously helping (as I had attended alone and had controlled my anxiety) and to enjoy living my life. I had been to ashamed to share what had happened with anyone other than my partner, but earlier in the week I had confided everything in my eldest twin daughter who had been very supportive, and gave loving words of encouragement.

My partner who has a very stressful job and suffers from depression himself had been a rock to me through this, even though I had given him more to stress about, our relationship was put on pause the moment of my arrest which did hurt me when he told me this, as I felt I needed him so much more, but in hindsight and by this stage in my counseling I understood where this reasoning came from.

Anyway this blog is turning into a novel, sorry, I will end it on a huge positive, all the sessions and forum support I have had, helped me get through this, my relationship with my eldest daughter and my partner are stronger than ever, also the fractured relationships I have with other members of my family are beginning to heal, slowly buy surely.

I am beginning to feel again, I have been numb for so long, I am noticing and enjoying the cold crisp fresh air, the snow on the hills opposite (I can see it from my balcony window as I write this from my partners home in Ireland), I am going to enjoy a Christmas for the first time in decades, just enjoy my family, I will get to see my new great niece for the first time, I have so many things to live for.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this site, I have learned so much from reading your comments, thank you to the health educators, I am a different me, a more improved version, someone I actually quite like for the first time in my life. I know I still have a long road ahead of me and it may never end, but I am going to enjoy traveling that road, with my loved ones and new found friends at my side.

Happy holidays to you all, may the New Year bring you joy & happiness, and remember you are never truly alone, you have a stronger more positive you inside, and you have all of your new "family" here.

12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, I have to tell you that when you wrote down

Me.

I thought - well you know, I do owe a great deal of thanks to Davit!

But yes, I should take some credit for doing the work I've done to get me to this much improved place.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you boil this down to the very core you will probably come up with the same answer we got.

Me. 

Everything else is secondary to the fact that we did it. Everyone and everything else is only a guide. You yourself and your willingness has been the biggest help. No one else can do this for you they can only help. 

Nice list Carmie and mine would be very similar with my Therapist at the top and CBT a second and I was going to write that but it kept nagging at me that I'm the one that did the research and I'm the one that put it into practice as did you.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A few things that stick out as being most helpful: 
-- My therapist, who encouraged me to keep in mind that a panic attack would not kill me or cause me to faint

-- My daughter, who thought it was fun to guide me through PMR (in the beginning - she doesn't love doing it anymore but thankfully I've found a podcast to guide me). 

-- "Challenging Anxious Thoughts"

-- The knowledge that the physical symptoms I was experiencing (dizziness, racing heart) could be attributed to anxiety

-- Last, and certainly not least, all of you!  I have learned so much from each of you!  Here are a few notes that I kept on my computer to review during my more anxious times:

"Remember; if you are alive enough to feel anxious, rejoice in the fact that you are very much alive and the anxiety proves it."

"When you’re feeling anxious or panicky, ask yourself:

•What am I thinking right now?

•What was I doing just before I got anxious?

•What was I thinking? "
And there was once a suggestion to run cold water on your wrists when feeling anxious that worked for me!

There have been other amazing pieces of advice and support, but I read them when I didn't have the ability to copy them onto my computer, so they didn't make it onto my sticky note collection.

Thank you all!

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What has helped you the most in this journey?

Who has helped you the most in this journey?

Share with us as we can all learn from one another!

Reading this thread: