Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Am I ugly.

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I agree that texting isn't intimacy, but I think there's a lot to be said about spontaneity, which texting allows.

Intimacy just comes with repeated connections, no matter how superficial, like peeling skins off that trite onion.

I'd like to build a community with social networking, but am paranoid about the security...

12 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m    I have a lot to learn about trust. I tried to suss out the right people to have around me but I guess there is never a guarntee that the person won't betray you even if you are cautious. Some people are just not nice human beings. Its starting to sink in for me big time not to assume everyone is kind or means what they say.

hugs  To me, texting is not intimacy at all, it depends of course on the content of the message but it seems to just be wierd to me and from what I have seen in some examples, texting is allowing young people to avoid asserting themselves verbally which i think is an important skill. They text people when they are cancelling an event or something they don't want to deal with the conversation.

Davit. THank you for sharing about being alone. I do have to learn how to discharge emotions and I am going to do this using books and websites and this site for now because trust issues have come up and I don't want to trust a therapist right now with any personal information. When you say that you did the CBT program alone it gives me courage to know that it can be done alone its just not ideal. I am probably going to embark on DBT alone which isn't ideal but I don't want help from anyone I cna't trust and there is no one I trust right now with this.

I need to research a lot more into emotional dysregulation and to know what "cured" looks like on that front. Obviously it doesn't mean not having negative emotions (impossible) but to have the medical , physical, spiritual things in place so that my negative emotions are not allowed to flood my mind so completely. If that makes any sense.
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
... but even with the trust (and I DO trust the people here) there is yet a great deal of shame that keeps me from posting ... it is hard to break the vows of silence and endure the backlash from within. 
I wondered how wonderful it would be if people started to participate at that rate on this site, in terms of posting.

Imagine 109 daily message times all the people viewing...that would be inspiring.

I suppose the reality of this condition, is that we take time to trust, let alone risk communicating in the smallest, briefest way. 
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can believe it. I have a recycled cell phone number and I get unwanted messages every day, some times a bunch from the same persons.

Davit
I read a news article which stated that the average texts sent by teens was 109 memos daily!  I don't know what to say, but I certainly feel my isolation.

Loves trees.

I have known (past tense) two people, both males who were worse than apples. Unbelievably uncaring people that set you up so they can watch you fall. I have known two people, both females that look for information about you so they can use it against you. Both (professionals.)
I'm sure more exist in both genders. I don't know what they get out of it unless it is a feeling of power. Unfortunately I sometimes have to deal with these people. I never bring it home. 

No I would not walk away. I would always presume there was a reason or possibly a misunderstanding. How words are used and strung together can change their meaning. I can find nothing to misunderstand in this post, does it only happen when you speak. Two different parts of the brain I believe.

My brother has a lot of anger, he uses it to get rid of stress and doesn't even know he is doing it. Some times he is hard to be around. I get second hand anxiety from him, he gets relief. We don't communicate any more. Even I could not take it anymore.

When beating the crap out of a pillow you need to laugh at the absurdity of it or it doesn't work. Otherwise it just makes you more angry. Especially if you can attach some one to the pillow.

I'm not sure if it is possible to be happy alone, but content yes. There are moments, but I catch myself thinking this happy moment would be better shared. Alone was a choice for me but not really of my choosing and I grew into it accepting it as how it would be. I was probably as happy as one could be under the circumstances. I was not totally alone. I did have a pet for company. Pets are better than apples at least.

My therapist uses the internet and feeds me sites that are of use to me. She would not send me to a site that was crap. Usual warnings about not believing everything you see.

Not a pill specifically but a large enough dose consistently would. You are too intelligent to do that. Tempting though isn't it. Some people do do that though. Enough time and you can't withdraw. Some people die in the process. I know one person in the process of doing just that.
Unbelievable the amount of medication she is on. I have two cousins using SSRIs to keep them in La La land. It is not pretty.

You have answered your own question here. Productivity is positive. Memory can not be erased so the negativity can come back if it isn't buried deep. Perspective. How you look at something in the first place dictates how you will store it and how it is stored is how it comes back. Covering it up leaves it available if it is not well buried. Better to change how you look at it before you store it if you can. 

When I had Staph in my spine the pain was so bad I wanted to kill myself, but I never had panic. That came after when I got better and I had to pick up my life again. It always happens like that for me. The hope of getting better may be a block for the panic. Having to do something after it is better may be the fear that triggers the panic. (for me anyway)

I have trouble discharging negative emotions both when alone and when not. They seem to just roll in but I know there is always a reason. Some times I can tell them to just get lost and some times I need to drink calming teas and for me anyway, ginger mint tea and a gram of calcium usually works in about fifteen minutes if I practice relaxing skills at the same time. If it is really traumatic and I can not escape I have Valium. I seldom have to resort to that but will if I have too. There is no sense fighting it. The other thing I do is work in my shop at something mindless and distracting for about an hour after which I tell myself what ever was bothering me was stupid and not realistic. This usually works, but not always. Some times the anxiety just gets to be too much. 

My therapist says that if you get eighty percent anxiety free you are doing good. With luck the other twenty percent is not debilitating. or at least can be handled with coping skills.

Davit.

Also you are not ugly. good way to grab our attention though with that subject line!
Davit,

I have known A LOT of people in my life and you stand out as one of the few, if not the person with the most integrity. YOu don't bulls**t. 

I wasn't posting here because the meds kicked in and things were going pretty well. The latest setback came over the last few days when I expressed myself (admittedly, somewhat poorly) to someone who is easily offended and stormed off instead of staying with me to address the misunderstanding. I apparently , when I am hurt or anxious, express things poorly and offend people. But my intention is never ot offend anyone. I am continually in shock that people who know I have a good heart would not give me a chance even to explain when I make a mistake in expressing myself. I grew up without being allowed to express myself. I am doingthings now for the first time that most people start doing at age 1 and keep going with - expressing themselves and being understood by others. 

If I said something to offend you, would you immediately rush to never speak to me again? Or would you consider that I probably didn't mean to, and it came out wrong, and ask for clarification, and kindly state that the way i phrased it was hurtful. No one wants to teach me how to express my emotions properly - in ways that don't hurt me or them. 

I can be alone as long as I am in quiescense emotionally - that is, not necessarily happy but content, and not feeling hurt, panicked, despair or anger. 

I am just at a roadblock. I need the next piece. The books on anger say to practice hitting pillows when angry. Did that. Doesn't do anything for me. 

Oh tonight especially it seems abundantly clear I choose the wrong people. I am thikning someone else needs to choose my next counsellor because I am terrible at choosing people to trust. I absolutely am blind to people who dno't have integrity until it is too late and i've trusted them with something valuable to me. It doesn't help that there are people out there, apples or worse than apples if there are worse than apples, who are actively LOOKING for people who will trust them so they can play out their neuroses on us naive ones. I am naive . I admit that . 

Its funny that most every counsellor i've seen in person has told me to stay away form the internet. they have! maybe that should be a clue that i shouldn't work with them. I am suffering from frustration that is for sure. You can see from my last rambling post how frustrated I am. I want help, I seek out help, but I can't find it. I can't find peopel to trust. Has the world gone this mad? Is there a pill that will make me happy to mindlessly roam the malls and feel content doing so? 

I could probably be a bit ok with being alone if I could be alone with my negative emotions. When I feel sad or angry, and I pick up a craft or go garden, I end up dissociating from the emotion instead of discharging it. I used to think i was discharging my emotions but I recently started thinking that I am not discharging them. Because they come back up full force a few days or weeks later, and the despair comes up so bad that the only pain i can relate it to is the pain of childbirth in its intensity. Child birthing was productive pain so even though physically it hurt like hell, I never panicked during birthing. I can only guess as to why I didn't panic, i mean the pain was immense and intense. the same as the pain during my attacks. but the pain during my attacks causes me to panic. Also i felt strong during my labour and supported. I had a caregiver by my side who never left my side. Its really the only time I ever had that come to think of it. someone by my side while i was in sheer agony. 

i have lots of solitary pursuits I could do , if i could stand myself more. Can you share regarding how you discharge negative emotions when yo uare alone? 
Loves trees.

I doubt CBT can help you find the perfect relationship since a relationship entails more than one person and CBT only works on the person doing it. It can help you accept that there may be no perfect relationships. It can also help you accept being alone if that is all there is. Hopefully not.
I have spent a lot of my life alone and still can be alone. It is definitely not for everybody. I have a friend who can not be alone. The big mistake she made was telling people in her life this. Yes some of them use this fact. She says she has trouble making friends because she has trouble communicating. Maybe it is me but I have no trouble communicating with her. Could it be you are choosing the wrong people for some hidden reason. ( core belief ) The subconscious mind is very powerful. 
There is actually an anger disorder, there is also uncontrolled anger due to frustration. There is a clinical difference. Bipolar is diagnosable because it follows certain patterns. Bipolar does not stop people from making friends or having successful relationships. If the swings are bad it can be frustrating but that is all. There is medication to moderate it. 
I come from a broken family and my mother did not want me. It left me with a lot of baggage to sort out but I have and some of it was an eye opener.
Please keep posting, you know I want to help you, even if all I can do is listen and you know I will do that. (and I don't charge)

Davit.

Reading this thread: