Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Why Me?

13 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunny,

I have just read your post and I am so glad that you don't have panic attacks any longer. You give me hope. I too was ESL when I was a child. Unfortuntately, my parents being immigrants did not know the school system very well. Additionally, they were highly critical of me and I hardly got any praise and positive reinforcement as a child. When I switched schools it got worse as they did not have many immigrant children enrolled. So, they suggested I go to a special education class. As shy as I was, I refused. Luckily, in grade 7 I had an amazing teacher who believed in me and my mother got me a tutor as well who also believed in me. I worked really hard, improved my reading and writing and was determined to go to university. I was determined to make a better life for myself than my parents. I now have four university degrees. (I think I may have over compensated for being called "stupid" when I was younger). It's funny though, I thought that after getting those degrees that my anxieties would be over. But, I am starting to realize that I have developed some bad habits along the way. I think I kept myself busy not to deal with the anxiety issues. Thankfully, I have a supportive husband who has given me the time and space to start to deconstruct all of this.

Anyway, reading your post has inspiried me. I am taking SSRI's for now but I truely hope that this program (although it may be difficult) and my regular therapy sessions will continue to help me.

Please continue to post...  
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi members,

Juanita, I enjoyed your visual of taking the negative core beliefs and breaking them until they shatter. Seeing the words and watching them shatter is a powerful. Watch them shatter into so many pieces, its impossible to put them back together, so they can never exist in your mind and heart ever again.

Davit, its really positive that you're able to accept the feeling, not fighting it and let it go. Especially , for not punishing yourself for things you did years ago to survive financially.

Members, are there events or things you've done in your past that you've punished yourself for? 
Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
oh, I'm so sorry, my heart goes out to you.
I've atleast learned one more thing about you - you have a kind and loving heart.

we have a disabled cat - she was shot by kids when she was a kitten and lost one of her front arms.
She was anti-social until I started to rub her cheeks and head the way a cat usually
does if they have both arms. since then, she is a totally changed cat, follows me where
ever I go, even sits on my lap, as long as I give her rubs. I lay on the floor with her and listen to her purr.
that's probably my best quiet time.

i felt bad for one of our discus. she gave birth to babies but has 'lost' them. it's sad for me
to even watch her as she mourns them. her whole demeaner has changed.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
upsidedown

If I worked in a shelter I would bring home all the real old and crippled cats that they put down because it would make me sad not to. I know some times it is the best answer, but I would want them to die beside my heater nice and warm. I would spend all my savings on medication to make their last days comfortable. But worse would be that it would make me focus on my own mortality. You can't save them all, but I would try. I guess that is why I was a lousy trapper and an unsuccessful farmer. I was a happy farmer but I had too many pets. ( I don't think I ever broke even ) Now gardening is different, I have no trouble killing a cauliflower.:-)

Here for you
Davit
13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Perhaps if there is an animal shelter, vet or zoo in your area, you could spend time helping to heal some of the cats that are rescued.  It's a great feeling.A real booster!  (I have the 12 steps ingrained into me to a fault, perhaps, so I apologize if I have said or say something wrong - The 9th step is about ammends - and I had alot of those to do and had to be quite creative at times.)
A
lol!

I spelt "sight" wrong, so much for spell check.

Davit
I would like to tell a little storey here to show how much effect core beliefs can have. Most people know I own cats. Now some people don't like cats but I do. Seeing a dead one on the road can really make me sad.
Anyway I was coming home happy from visiting a friend and helping him rack his first batch of wine. There was a lynx blinded by my head lights. I stopped about ten feet from it and it looked right at me and walked away. It was the most ungainly beautiful animal, looking clumsy with its big feet, yet at the same time graceful as only a cat can be.
The site, beautiful as it was destroyed my good mood. As a very young man I had a trap line and caught a few. Where I come from it was a very normal thing to do in the winter and a few people made their living from it. It bothers me that I killed animals not to eat but for money.
I know it is in the past and the past can't be changed so it doesn't count. I know this and I tell people not to let their past haunt them. I've exaggerated it in my mind. It was not the butcher that I make it out to be. You can see how powerful this core belief is. And I am one of the cured, one of the free.

Just one of the things from my past that haunt me. Hours later I have let it go because like I said it is in the past and can not be changed.

You may have embarrassing things from your past haunting you and like me you may be exaggerating them to punish your self. If they are very traumatic you will block them but they will still do their damage even though they are hidden. Like me you have to learn to let it go. The past can not be changed only learned from. But as you can see from me it can be very hard to do.  Accept it and let it go, do not fight it. And learn to cope when it hits unexpectedly because there will be times when something triggers the thought, like my beautiful lynx. 

Davit

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again,
I've just read these posts and definantly see a common thread...my father was an angry alcoholic, and I was the last of 6 chidren. The first few of my siblings had a good childhood.. (so they say).it wasnt until my parents grew older that things fell apart....in their own relationship and the one with kids still at home, me and one brother...(who by the way had a really rough life....he turned to drugs/alcohol for many years but now is much  improved ! yaeh!  ) It was as if I wasn't even around most of the time. My mother used to openly say that she would have never had all those kids if the birth control pill were around. Makes you feel welcome...not!
 I have learnt how to forgive, if not entirely forget, and choose to make my own jouney with life have nothing to do with those negative years and I'm always working on challenging my negative core beliefs...it can be done! Just learning about them, and how to pick them apart, break them down til they shatter, well, this has been so helpful to me.  It will help you too Liza.
my  neglectful childhood gave me some positives...like I had to learn to cook at an early age ...which I did all afternoon...chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter ones, I have a ham and scallop potatoes in the oven now...anyone hungry? hahaha...
Take care,
Juanita
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi members,

There is a common thread in all your post, and that is a traumatic child event and parents that were dealing with addiction, anxiety or unsupportive. Childhood is a brief, but very powerful time in our lives. It is the time when many of our belief systems about the world and ourselves are established. Unfortunately , if they are negative, wedon't have the skills as children to overcome them.

All your very inspiring post have shown that as adults we can overcome and challenge these negative core belief systems. You can shed your old skin, and emerge as a confident and panic free individual.

Keep sharing your stories members, we love hearing them!

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Liza, Davit:  I can sure relate to negative core beliefs.  As I was growing up I didn't get too many pats on the back for anything, nor hugs.  Instead of praise I often got criticism.  One episode when I was learning how to read in Gr. 2 or so, I was doing my homework reading lesson with my father.  I was standing in front of him and he was holding my book, so that I was looking over the top and reading upsidedown.  Impressed, my father said to my mother "look at that, not only can she read, she can read upsidedown".  I was very happy with this compliment, especially since English was a second language to me at that time, still new, but my mother answered, "so what".  She rarely complimented me on anything, nor hugged me. 
 We had a tragedy in our family also.  Two brothers were drowned in a boating accident.  You know the question "why me"?  For me it was "why not me".  I was always with my brothers in the boat, fishing, just playing at the beach, etc.  That one day, because my Dad was there for the wknd. from work, he took only the boys out, not me because I was a girl, and the terrible accident happened.   Understandably that started a lot of anxiety at home.  My father started to drink after this, he was a violent drunk and it was frightening.  Too bad there was no grief counseling in those days. I saw things a child should never see.  Let's just say it certainly does colour your world and gives you lots of negative core beliefs.  Once you figure them out, you can get rid of them, one by one.  The CBT program works!  I was a shy, introverted, sad person for a long time.  I can say today I am confident and well liked by my peers and fairly happy.  It was CBTherapy which helped me understand what negative beliefs were influencing my thought patterns and helped me think positively and start healing. 
Hope this helps you in some way.  You are not alone.  I no longer have panic attacks, CBT works.
Keep the faith,

Sunny

Reading this thread: