Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Empty Nest Syndrome & Finding a New Role or Purpose in Life - Ideas?

13 years ago 0 122 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Shari,

I totally agree with you about what is happening to the different
dog breeds, I have always been around dogs, I had a shepherd
for 12 1/2 yrs and she was a sweetie, but We  looked for about
6 1/2 months going to different breeders before we found her
most of the dogs we saw had alot of black in their coat and they
were all bread for the low back legs, I wanted one with more of
a fawn coloring and I was told that they bread for more of the black
because that was what the judges were looking for same thing for the hips
and I knew that that would lead to hip dysplasia.. We Lucked out and
found our dog shenia she was fawn with a little black on her back, she
had such a great temperament. I miss her still. We now have  a westie
that we have had for almost 9 yrs and she doesn't think she a dog!!! LOL
we treat her like a kid and is loved like one.  Hopefully  one day soon
the akc and other groups will realize that temperament and health comes
first.

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
oooops, back to role transition.  When I stopped working I started the volunteer work.  I had the time and the health for it and wanted to give back to the community.  Young parents may already volunteer in the athletic dept.,  coaching, etc.  and of course, parent/teacher councils, school outings, special programs.  I used to do some of that when my children were in school.  Contributing your talents, time, effort to help others is worthwhile and fulfilling.

Okay, after writing the above; I have one more yr. on the ex. cttee. and then I am resigning.  I've served 4 yrs. on that particular cttee. and I can see that I am ready to try something else.  I think it is time for me to do some art work of some kind.  I've never tried painting seriously and I just may try it.  I think this means I feel comfortable and ready to do things for me now.  This me time is another transition and it feels right.
Shari:  I am like you.  You can soap box preach re: against dog abuses anytime.  I feel exactly the same way, love dogs and all animals.  I know a lady who is a judge for a certain dog breed and she has told me some stories.  I used to walk dogs at the SPCA.  I would go to the gym then do my cardio walk with one their dogs.  My last three dogs were rescue dogs and all had/have a very sweet temperament.  Sunny had no hair on half her back and down her tail and back legs when i got her.  She is beautiful now.  When I first got Daisy, she was so thin you could count her spine discs.  She filled out and was happy and lived until 18 yrs. old. Charlie the spaniel was just a sweetheart, but we found out he had seizures, we kept him anyway.

For re-charging my batteries I read for hours.  When I read for this purpose, I read at least 3-4 books in a row, depending on the book, a book a day.  Then I feel I've had a real holiday away from the news and the daily grind.  Sometimes when I finish reading for the day, just for a second, I'm sorry to find myself at my own place, that's how immersed I can be in the book. lol  I like history a lot, archeology, anthropology type books, English classics, and a good mystery too.    

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I usually go to mood music or to my work shop. Just somewhere quiet. I don't often need to recharge. For me getting out for a hot chocolate and a drive is often enough.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jas, 

Re: where I go to recharge my batteries...The biggest way is going to Florida to visit my parents.  I love it there!  I love the amusement parks, I'm a big kid.  And, the reptile places, love animals.  I always feel like I have a renewed perspective of my life, when I can step away from it for a bit, and then come back home.  Going on a mini day trip to some place an hour away, like Solomon's Is., was refreshing.  I don't go on vacation very often.  But, I find that going to a coffee house, book store, craft store, or pet store, relaxing.  I love toy knitting pattern books.  I also listen to music and it is a stress melter.  Now, I'm passing the question along to the next person...where do you go to recharge your batteries?
13 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All,

I am in complete agreement with you folks about breeding dogs for shows/looks. I find it absolutely disgraceful and nothing short of animal cruelty. I get really annoyed when I think of the sacrifices to the dogs health and well beings something that quite obviously does not worry the breeders. Needs to be a change in the law to prevent this from happening and protect the dogs and other animals this happens to!

You will be pleased to know that Ruby is the original straight back shepherd. I am trying to find a profile pic of her to put up.

Anyway, how are you all doing. How has your weekend been?
It's a Bank holiday here in the UK so I get an extra day! Not much use though because I can't take a day off at the moment.
But saying that I don't mind that much because will be going to visit family in Canada after xmas for a whole month, cannot wait!

So excited because the holiday is a necessity in order to recharge my batteries and get some mental peace, stress free. Not had holiday since starting the business. Also to spend quality time with the family.
Will really miss Ruby though. She will stay with my Mum and Dad who will no doubt spoil her rotten, she loves them so should not be too hard for her.

Where do you folks go to recharge your batteries?

Jas

I will try to keep my soap box preaching short, on this subject.  I agree.  I used to show dogs and was on the "inside".  I, personally, believe you should not sacrifice a dog's health for looks.  The reason why this happens is, because judges give first place to dogs with extreme features.  Then breeders get on the bandwagon and it goes way too far.  If they bred flat faced breeds with a slightly longer nose, they would not have breathing problems.  I like the old fashioned shepherds with the level straight back, not the sloped back.  If they could have sloped backs without the problems, then hey, who am I to judge.  In the U.S. I think it's something like 75% of all shepherds have Hip Dysplasia.  I know some Dalmatians have severe kidney problems and they actually had to breed Pointers with them to try to dilute this issue.  Also, temperaments have been sacrificed for beauty and some Labs are aggressive (these aren't the show people, but the puppy millers mentioned below).  The majority of Dachshunds have spinal disc disease and the list is endless.  I like the way the dogs looked in the old days, like American Cocker Spaniels; they used to look like how the English Cocker looks today.  And, I liked how the Irish Setter looked in the 70's before excessive hair length and also a sloped back.  Another over the top feature breeders breed for is, excessive coat.  A lot of these dogs would have been much easier to groom as pets.  But, they all end up looking like the Pink Panther, after a blow dry; poofy.  As soon as a breed is accepted into the American Kennel Club, they look fine.  By the time the breeders are done with them, they have too much hair and look different.  I think they are ruining the breeds for the sake of getting a ribbon at a show.  Okay, it's too late for a short soap box speech.  I will conclude with...Not all breeders or judges are bad.  There are honest people who are trying to preserve their breed.  I think the U.K. and Europe have the best looking dogs, in their natural form.  And a huge thumbs up to banning cropping ears and docking tails.  I wanted a Doberman with natural ears and it was too late, they cut them.  If you had to watch this pathetic puppy scream while the breeder changed the ear tubes and tape, you would want to ban it too.  It's done purely for aesthetic reasons, nothing more than looks, so why hurt the dog.  If I mentioned anyone's breed and offended someone, that is not my intention.  I love all dogs.  My two Chihuahuas have issues too.  They both had Patella Luxation and both had knee surgeries.  I guess after reading this, no one will want to post anything about dogs again.  They are my passion and I could have a whole website with a thousand threads on the subject.  Thanks for your indulgence.  :)  P.S.  Don't get me started on puppy mills, where these dogs are in wire cages and over bred.  They live in horrible conditions like they are a manufactured money making product instead of sensitive loving animals that they are.  They don't breed for temperment or health or even looks, they just want to get rich.  One of my dogs was rescued from a puppy mill and she is sweet.  She was just born on the wrong side of the tracks.  Thanks for listening to my rant.  It felt good to get it off my chest. 
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I had a dog team the natives bred there dogs to German Shepherds looking for a larger dog. But they had a lot of hip and foot problems. The dogs were not built to carry that much pressure on their hips. We could put boots on our dogs but the dog still does most of it's work with its back legs. I felt sorry for them as there was no glucosamine then. The best they could hope for was to be put down. I agree breeding dogs for something they are not meant to be is wrong whether it is conformation or work. Seems to me they were bigger forty years ago especially the white phase.

Davit.
I had a German Shepherd before, and yes, they are smart!  they learn quickly, so alert and loyal.  I don't like what the breeders are doing lately, breeding with their hind legs in that low position.  Wish they'd stop that.
Jas, 

I feel exactly the same way you do about pets, dogs in particular, and I'm a bird fan (they are like dogs).  I checked out the sites and they're filled with excellent info.  Thanks for taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it!  Your friend, Shari

Reading this thread: