Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Where does Social Anxiety come from?

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny

My parents never gave me a hard time it was my brother. But I was legal guardian and power of attorney for my dad. I went through a rough time when he died in the hospital of altzeimers. I always felt that I should have spent more time with him and did more for him even though he was not there for me when I needed him when I was growing up. This was my first experience with a psychologist and psychiatrist. Not my last either. Our past can certainly colour our present.
My brother on the other hand has been a problem. He is looking at his mortality and getting scared. He is now sorry for every mean thing he did to me. He said this in an Email since I won't talk to him on the phone. I forgave him in an Email and I can honestly say he is forgiven even though I still want nothing to do with him. Even though we can not change our past it can still be hard to deal with. Knowing you as well as I think I do I am sure you will do your best and hopefully not let the past bother you too much. You are so right people have there own issues and we do not know what pain they go through. My father still haunts my dreams some times but I find myself more and more finding his good points. He was a good provider even if he didn't have enough time for me.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks guys for your support! When I reread the post the next day, I didn't feel so scared about it.  It is the tip of the iceburg.  Did I ever mention this to my mother? no, too many other issues way more important.  Anytime I did try and  question things I was confused about, she would get angry and upset and "how dare you bring that up" as though I was causing her pain on purpose.  So you learn to leave it alone.  I have been to a psychologist about some of the issues and that was good.  My mother had her own painful issues which she obviously hadn't worked out.  I think some of the memories are popping up because I've been her legal guardian for awhile and am resposible for her care.  She is frail and has not long to live. It's natural for old memories of family life, etc. to pop up again at these times.  Because I am more mature now, I'm hoping I can review them and see them with more understanding and come to a peaceful place. 
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny

Thank you for not deleting that. It is good that you can share with us, after all we are your friends and more important you have shown that you can overcome that conditioning and become a beautiful person, and you are.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm beginning to see another  similarity here...I too hate confrontations, my parents were very volitile, so I stayed quiet to keep out of their way...therefore  that  habit continued  in adulthood. I've improved by leaps over the years...but its still   not easy..I like to think I did way better with my children...always tried to include them and give them their chance to speak...
Sunny...so proud of you for posting  that experience.  I have to wonder if you ever had the opportunity to talk about that incidence with your mother? Heartwrentching!  On the positive side you saw to it that your chidren received praise and compliments often! That's so good.  I certainly don't see you as whiney!  
Anerol..hate that when that happens...have to type it all over again! Good for you for realizing your parents are people who make mistakes..thats a big step in mending fences I think.
yes, I can understand that.  If parents are right (as we look up to them as dependent children and haven't had life/world experience yet) then we conclude the problem lies with us.  I too tried to "stay out" of anything which might cause an argument. Probably that's why I never gave an opinion, so cautious, stay in the background.  It was hard work to break out of that, so much better now.
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh gosh, I pushed the wrong button and deleted all taht I've written!

Sunny, thank you so much for sharing. It must have been heartbreaking for you. And it was courageous to share it and I and I'm sure a lot of others appreciate it. It's confusing for the kids because we tend to think everything our parents do is 'right'...well that was the case for me.. I thought they were the truth and never could they possibly be humans who make mistakes!  from my childhood eyes. For my case, I always watched my domineering mother and sibling argue all the time. This probably 'traumatized' me and made me be a person who chooses her words carefully before saying anything, If I do say anything. So I did 'well' and avoided all conflict and arguments with my parents. In that sense i was never got either attention good or bad.

Anerol:  happy to see your post.  Was wondering how you were doing.  You mention compliments from parents.  I think compliments from our parents - since they are our first contact as we grow up - are important.  Doesn't have to be a big deal, just little things along the way, encouragements.  The compliments would be positive strokes towards self confidence. 
Here is where it gets difficult for me, without telling a lot of my background, sometimes it was difficult for me for different reasons.  Here goes, I'll give it a try.  One of my earliest recollections was this.  My siblings were blond and blue eyed.  I was the only reddish brown with green eyes.  When I was 4-5 or so, my mother took me to a hairdresser and asked to have my hair lightened because - I still remember the words - "afterall, all my children are blond. She is the only one without blond hair" and my mother made an unhappy face which I saw reflected in the mirror.  I remember thinking, gee, there's something wrong with me, I'm not like the others and I have to be fixed.  It's just a little thing I suppose, but one of the first of many other things to fix me.  I grew up thinking I was very ugly and that sure makes you want to hide.  I don't have a struggle with that anymore,  know that I'm average and I'm o.k.  I figure I'm pretty lucky; I"ve got all my limbs, my five senses, and I'm smart enough to learn many things.
When my children were growing up, I made sure to give compliments.  It could be how well they did their homework or did on a test to how nice they looked that day.  Or how nicely they played with a friend. You know, that sort of thing.
Right now, I am feeling a little anxious about what I've just shared.  gotta let it go. I want to delete it. I'm not a whiney type person and do not want to be viewed as one. 
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone.
As I've mentioned before, I was a late speaker and my parents were afraid I would never talk to begin with. But after I started to talk, I was not a shy baby and would greet new people, according to my parents. After I started school, I remember, being terrified and I cried everyday. Eventually, my friend joined me so I was fine until middle school. After middle school I didn't speak a word and up until college. I became social after I got married and did the 'normal' things people do socially. But now I am back to silence, except through here. 

Sunny, that is interesting about what your mother did, by speaking for you. I know how my mother did that too but never considered this to be ANOTHER factor. There was never much communication among my house and my parent's culture don't really compliment their children.
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit..Wow! What a discovery....hope you and your therapist figure it out..Let us know.
Sunny..I agree..what goes around comes around.
Samatha...not sure if this is the same thing..but sometimes..like today, I have to push myself to go to work, when all  I really want to do is go back to bed.I know that by going and not backing out I will feel productive...if I called in I wouldn't be any happier really...probably beat myself up more .
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi sunny123,

It is great to hear about your talent with writing! Everyone has many talents, and we all should be very proud of them and share them with each other. Continue to write, keep a journal, write stories. Someone once told me that writers should always be writing.

Reflecting on the possibilities that have come from pushing yourself is a really good way to keep yourself in check and grow as a person. I hope that this will inspire others to reflect on how pushing themselves has helped them.

Members, how was pushing yourself helped you?

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: