Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Where does Social Anxiety come from?

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sunny.

Life is funny. During the war they would throw a lot of men and a couple of pieces of equipment, cats or tanks to skid it across a river at it and have it in use in a couple of days. Now with unions and compensation rules it takes three weeks. I see they are using them as temporary disaster bridges. One place I saw stores all the pieces and builds the bridge to what ever size is needed. We are still capable of responding in a crisis, and this should be kept in mind. We are stronger mentally than we think.

Davit. 
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit:  Looked up the bridge type - I recognized it right away as I have seen that before, just never knew the name.  Even have some around the area. Thanks for replying.  What a neat invention.
Hi Cleo:  I think it was because I was older and understood my fear better and decided to really look at all the beauty.  I still have the fondest memories of that time in my life.  It was very thrilling to lean out the window and see it through the view finder.  If you can trust the driver and the car and know he/she won't take any unnecessary risks, then you can start to have faith and relax.
Davit:  thanks for the explanation.  I'm going to look it up.  I'm interested in these sorts of things, especially WWII history.  Living on the air bases, I guess it's a part of me. When we were kids we found a German spiked helmet and French helmet in some fields we played in.  I have a friend who has written about one particular battle in France, a battle in which his father fought.  This friend was invited by the French town and made an honourary citizen, was given a key to the town, etc.  They even gave him a WWII souvenier of that battle.   
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny,
Thanks for that advice...I think I will try to stretch while self-talking...get my body moving ..may help  with distracting too...As for you  and driving in those Alps when you were younger...do you know what changed in you? From hiding on the  floor to filming the view! Wow!
My hubby has wanted to travel (with me)  for a long time (flying)..We were talking the other night about that and I said that -maybe I could get on a plane.. haven't been on one in over 20 years....I have pills and a doctor who would give me more if I needed..he was so excited..he said he'd given up on the thought that we would ever travel together. Then I thought what have I gotten myself into? ha! But who knows?
Davit,
Thanks for explaining that bridge. I'll rush right over! Not !   The river is probably deep and fast flowing...The road to your grocery store sounds...well..you know that all those things, except the lambs and ducks! Aww...cute! scare me..but it does sound pretty ! Good for you to be able to enjoy the drive now...there's hope for me and heights yet.
I got into the elevator at work last evening! Even closed the door! Then I quickly pressed the button to open  and got out, but that was a big step...I'm going to try it again tonight.
Cleo
sunny.

During the last war they had steel bridges that were bolted together. They were made in sections and the sections bolted together to make what ever length was necessary. If they got blown up the damaged sections could be replaced. They are about twelve feet wide and about four high. This one sags because it is two long spans. But logging trucks cross it so I'm sure it is safe for my car. It gives the valley character. Just like the people here.

Davit.
Davit:  That sounds so beautiful!  What's a bailey  bridge? You say it is one lane only, made of ?

Cleo: yes, those roads can be a little intimidating, feeling unsure in the car, no control except the driver.  The pub sounds good! Maybe you can attempt the drive little by little, going a little further each time and the reward can be a dinner at the pub.  As a kid I remember the alps and how I would sit on the floor of the car when it got too scary.  Another time when I was older, I hung out of the car window with a movie camera filming the climb.  So you see, it can change when you're ready. As for mornings waking anxious, have you tried getting up and doing some stretching exercises  near by (not a workout, just gentle stretching), before you do anything else?  I read that it helps physically and mentally get you going for the day.  Maybe soothe some of those vivid dreams, anxiety. You can do the positive talk, and stretch at the same time?  Just an idea.

Cleo

Wish you could see the twisty winding road to the grocery store, It starts half way up a mountain and goes down to the river where it crosses a narrow one lane bailey bridge and then climbs half way up another mountain. It is the highlight of the trip to the grocery store now. There is a sheep farm at the river and I like to slow down and look at the lambs. I also like to slow down on the bridge so I can look at the ducks on the river.  (Frazer River). As you might have guessed it was not always this way. 

Forming a new relationship has added a new dimension (circle) to my life. But it is not about the number of circles so much as how you perceive them. The process of living in any one other than the safe one is basically the same for all of them. Once I found I could spend time in one other than my safe one then I found I could spend time in all of them. It is rather exhilarating to be able to leave the safe circle and spend time in one or more of the others. I can now go to some and not realize I have left my safe circle. They may never totally merge and be one and that is OK I will settle for being able to enter and exit at will.

Congratulations on having a wonderful weekend. 

Davit
Sunny,
I  had a wonderful weekend! Hope you did too. My worst times continue to be in the mornings....I still am experiencing those vivid dreams, mostly before I wake up..some are ok, some aren't...a lot of family in them...so I am having to stay in bed and use my self-talk  to get back to reality. And I have to get cracking on Exposures.We took a drive yesterday on this twisty turny mountain road ....some people call it scenic...I call it scary! ha.. I had to get hubby to turn around...which made me mad at myself, but I didn't go into a  panic ..I just didn't like it. I think its like Davit's circles..his may be alot smaller than mine, but I too hate to go out of my comfort zones. Anyhow, we went to a nice pub after and had supper , which was excellent... made me forget about the drive!
Cleo
thanks Cleo - hope you are having a good wknd.
Sunny,
You  are doing so well! I think you will be able to get to that peaceful place very soon.
Cleo

Reading this thread: