Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

HELP, PLANE,VACATION AHHHH

15 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You had great courage to get that far. Keep working on it and pushing yourself. You will be able to get there.  Next time the reward of achieving your goal will be great.  Stay strong!
Ashley, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You'll definitely get there some day!  Once you get things sorted out with your meds, you can take a no-stress trip with just your fiance', or with friends or family, with none of the pressure you were feeling.  Don't beat yourself up over it, just keep working hard on your future. I can absolutely assure you, you'll be feeling good again... 
15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You'll get there eventually. It sounds like you went through hell with all the med changes etc. but please don't beat yourself up over it. You WILL get there one day. Anxiety consumes ones whole life, and it is so hard to face things that we are truly scared to death of. Remember that you are not alone, and there is support for you if you look for it. I would suggest trying some smaller trips first that way you can feel a sense of acomplishment before tackling the big ones. No one should look down on you, least of all yourself. You will get there.
15 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't make it... I feel really bad, but I truly know I tried, I packed my suitcase, had my carry-on ready.  When it came time to go, I was just unable to let myself.  Maybe next time.....  Thanks for all the support and advice everyone, it means a lot to me.
15 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wanted to echo something that Tank wrote in regard to flying and anxiety.  She mentioned something that rang so true for me in  lots of anxiety-inducing situations.  She had relaxed a bit on the plane once she realized that she had no other options once the plane took off.  Though that sounds scary, it's actually liberating.  Sometimes you just get to the point where you realize that even 10 anxiety attacks in a row is still not going to change anything, so you might as well just relax.  I've had that happen a few times while in a big store (my least favorite thing.) I'd start to feel anxious because I was actually feeling GOOD and it surprised me, and I looked around and realized that if I had a panic attack at that moment, there is no way I'd make it out the door, so I might as well just let it go.  The same for when I was flying...  once we took off I realized that I was in their hands now.  I always chose a window seat, and on one flight even invited some kids to look out my side of the plane because I had a great view of the mountain we were passing. I talked to some interesting people, and was fortunate enough to have an empty row, so I could stretch out.  On my first ever flight, it was a smallish jet to connect to the bigger flight, and the co-pilot leaned back and asked if he could have one of my breath mints!  The point is.. I was terrified throughout the experience, but life just sort of takes over and I think your brain gets bored after a while in the anxious state, and your real personality takes over. 

I hope that you can work something out with your meds in the next day or two so that you can try this vacation. Once you're there, you'll see that flight as a small price to pay for the fun vacation.   If you feel as though it just isn't going to happen this time, that there's too much pressure, then don't beat yourself up over it and feel guilty.  Sounds like you're in the middle of getting your meds straightened out,  and perhaps this won't be the right time.  
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TaraElizabeth,

It can be quite the adjustment when stepping off medications or changing medications.

It can take some time for your body to re-adjust to new meds, especially if you have been on certain medications for a longer period of time. It is strongly encouraged that you speak to your family doctor about your concerns with your medication. Hopefully he or she will be able to suggest a different prescription or offer you advice on how to manage these new medications.

Members, any other advice you can offer TaraElizabeth on coping with new medications?

Sarah, Health Educator
I used to be able to drive anywhere, go to the store, go on vacation,get my nails done, wait in line, be "normal".  I want this so badly again.  I am trying so hard, but my medication is not working.  I should have never tried to get off of all my meds 3 months ago, because I have been living in hell since then.  I just re-started trying new meds, and it seems nothing is working.  I am only 21, and have been heavily medicated since I was 11, and for the first time I am not, and I am a mess.  I feel like a failure.
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TaraElizabeth,

Sorry to hear you are feeling bad about this upcoming decision you have to make. However, try not to put a lot of pressure on yourself during this decision. Perhaps after your meeting with your doctor about your meds, you will feel better about the vacation plans?

You mentioned that you would like to feel "normal" again. What does normal look like to you? What activities or things can you do to make yourself feel that way?

Keep us posted on how things go tomorrow.

Sarah, Health Educator
Thank you all for the advice.  It means a lot to me.  I still have not decided whether I am going to go or not, and I feel horrible about it.  But, I am very sick from my medication, and my doctor will be changing my meds tomorrow... I just don't know if this is the right time for a vacation.  : (  I just want to feel "normal" again. 
15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
   Hi TaraElizabeth,
     I really agree with what Trixie says. I too can empathize, and I am scared to death of flying too, but here goes. I have a pretty big anxiety and OCD problem, and am trying to fix it (hence this website.) I used to fly frequently as a child to Europe (that's where my extended family live) and it was never an issue. The last time I went as a child I was 15, and it was after a very traumatic event (my house had burned down 2 days before.) I'm pretty sure that has some bearing on flying for me. The flight was fine, but after that I became afraid of flying, or being away from home or a "safe" place in general. It didn't happen all at once, but gradually over the years.I've always had claustrophobia (elevators, subways, planes etc.)
   At 28 (I'm 32), after getting help for my anxiety problem, I went with my husband to Europe. Now, I'm not going to lie and sugarcoat this and say I was fine. I didn't cause a scene on the plane, but it was pretty bad for me. It did NOT help that my husbands first words to me as we boarded the plane was"...it 's pretty small in here!" I was in tears and in full anxiety mode before the flight, but the boarding and take off were the worst parts. I tried to relax, breath etc. and it wasn't working. I was white knuckled and very nervous the entire time. It is very exhausting to fly for 10 hours like this, as I am sure you know. I also found the bathroom as a "safe" place.  I only ate the food I brought with me, and didn't have much luck trying to keep my mind busy with crosswords, my fave book or the movies. I didn't look out the window much. I did notice that my anxiety went down after the first couple hours. It helped to track my flight on the TV radar they had in the plane, with a clock on it.
    My advice is that even if you're having a full blown panic attack, remeber that it is only anxiety, and that it will pass as time goes on. Once you are flying, that's it. The anticipation (for me, anyways) is the hardest.
   I had hit a point of no return...once you take off, there is nothing you can do. I know this sound distressing, but once you accept that, it's OK. You can feel confident that you made a decison. The only good thing I can say is that afterwards my connecting flight from Frankfurt to Munich was only 1 hour, and that was very easy as I was very exhausted and as it came directly after the loooong flight. I was actually relaxed on it. You're flight home will probably seem easier as you took one so recently before.
   Remember that there are others who feel as scared as you do. I haven't flown since, but I really want to see my family. I am in the midst of fixing my problem, and the idea of travelling right now freaks me out. I've never taken any medication for this, but I did find that relaxation and breathing excercises are helpful. I told the stewardess that I was very scared of flying; I'm not the first one on a plane to tell them that, I am sure. Also, I brought some things that were comforting to me and that helped too. The take off was the worst part; once flying it was a bit better. The landing was great :)
    All I can say is that good for you for going...It takes alot of courage to fly if it scares you, and I know how foolish you probably feel in front of the family. I have many pilots in my in law side of the family, and am pretty reassured that planes are safe. I really hope you have a good flight there and back and that you have a nice trip. All us claustrophobes are rootin for you!

Reading this thread: