Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Where does Social Anxiety come from?

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know if I really care about my looks, I have sort of accepted my face for what it is... and in return I have fun with it... I don't know if that is a reaction for thinking that I will never look like the celebrities. I was never overweight but I get really surprised at how my friends think they are overweight when they are totally not and they make it sound like it's such a bad thing... I mean health wise it may be, but not look wise, for me at least. So I don't think I'm that shy about my looks, but I'm really shy at my behavior... like how I will act or what I will sound like or etc. etc... I guess maybe because I am responsible for my action and I really can't do anything about my looks... I've went to a physical exam w/ out shaving anything once! Not even my pits.. hahah!!!! I felt bad for the doc and after I felt maybe that was too much. Hehhe, sorry for this info.
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi

Well I have never been shy ...  always outgoing etc BUT could never do oral presentations unless I knew it perfectly..obsessively perfect...  and I struggled a lot with my appearance.. Clothes and hair being just right... being thin enough... etc. And looking back I never had weight issues etc.  except what I felt inside.. as though I would be judged for not being so called perfect.  I would be almost physically sick about being perceived as not cool.. or good enough.    I remember crying because my hair wouldn't tease quite right (so early 90's).... I think that had a lot to do with my OCD though too... my thoughts were obsessive...

I hated feeling like that... and to this day I still struggle with self esteem....  yet to the outside world.. they don't see anything wrong and can't understand it at all...

It's something I'm always working on especially now that I'm raising a girl.. in such a critical plastic world.  I really don't want her to feel anything like I did...

Thanks for listening :)
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was shy from the day I was born! My mom worried about me because I didn't talk until I was really late. I was afraid of the opposite sex for a long time... there are episodes still now that I get really nervous in front of guys. I really like to express myself though, like in writing or art... and I can sing at karaokes where people find that really surprising since I'm known as a shy girl. And I do other things, like dance and dress up for Halloween, but I just prefer not to speak. I still have a weird relationship with my in laws because I'm so quiet.
15 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes I attribute being an only child to missing out on how to interact successfully with others.  An additional hit was that my father did not allow me to have anyone visit me at home.  As far as I could tell,  my father had no friends and the only phone calls he ever  got or made were related to work.

I changed schools a few times which didn't help.  But I was most shocked to notice one time that a photo of a kindergarten class I had taken,  then moved away and returned to the same school years later,  a 6th grade class were all the same kids who had essentially grown up together and I had left and come back as an outsider.

I had comments on my report card that I wasn't aggressive enough, when I had pulled back from participating fully in rugby.  I did some martial arts but enjoyed the exercise and science of it more than actual fighting.
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think I was shy. I always said I was nervous and scared, even as a child, but I do think some shyness came into it. It made going to school difficult. If I was late for school I couldn't go in because I knew the other student would look at me as I was walking in. I could not leave the house if my hair and clothes weren't perfect because I was afraid others would judge me. Even as a very young child I could not deal with strangers, children or adults coming into my house. To this day I am very territorial and need few people in my house to be comfortable. And yet I do presentations for school and I manage. As shy, I think I might be shy, maybe but I am not sure. And I know I am not socially phobic.

Can one be shy and yet not shy? With groups I am super uncomfortable, I feel ridiculous and dumb. One on one I am a rather open individual. I also beleive I warm up to strangers as easily as anyone I know (as long as they are not in my house!). So yeah, it is like I am shy and yet I am not...Sigh... I will stop talking now, I am making no sense...Sorry!

-Diva
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Members,

The cause of Social Anxiety Disorder is still not yet fully understood. Some theorize that children learn shy behavior from their parents but it seems even more likely that there’s a genetic component to being shy. About 10% of children are described as being “high in behavioral inhibition” or shy, which means that they’re fearful in new social situations. This shyness seems to negatively progress throughout adolescence.

Most adolescents are very self-conscious and spend a lot of time worrying about what other people think about them. Most adolescents experience some anxiety in some social performance situations. If a shy child hits adolescence and becomes extremely self-conscious and worried about what other people think, that adolescent can be at risk for developing Social Anxiety Disorder.

Where you shy when you were younger?   Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: