Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Did you know?

15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All of you make very good points!!!!!!  I'm wondering if that was thrown out here for this very reason......to get us to look at the positive, successes
obviously from what I read from all of you we have more successes then not!!!!!  That sure is a comfort to me!!!!  I like what one of the sessions
asks us...."are we gonna buy what the fear is trying to sell us?"  I agree...Where are the positive stats!
Birdie

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There was another post on this MODS something similar to this that points out the negative traits of GAD and I will not lie that my emotions were affected. It's sort of contradictory when this site is supposed to teach you to not worry but it makes you worry with a thread like this. These are also statistical 'facts' which are alway only about the majority... and ignores the minority. And scares the individual who reads it who was not involved in the study AT ALL. If we completely didn't know these stats... were we better off? It's debatable. I don't touch alcohol or cigarettes now that I have GAD either.
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everyone...

Birdie your comments touched on a lot of things that are true and you've done a lot to turn your life around.  What an achievement!!  

I am at a point that those items on the list don't bother me BUT I do remember at the beginning of my journey that reading those things would have just exacerbated my anxiety ! Maybe even have made me feel a bit hopeless.. Facts are great and you can do a lot with them but a lot of people are vulnerable to having their thoughts run away on them... making them catastrophic..  Do they really need to know they have a greater chance of  suicide?? or losing their jobs??  They are already dealing with so much.... 

I agree with Michael they are just things I don't need to think about ...especially when I was at my lowest...  I'm on the journey upwards so I've taken them with a grain of salt.. and as I stated before I don't have an issue with depression but if I did... I don't think these would have helped me.. LOL...

Anyways.. as always you are all very insightful and I take something away from every "conversation" I have with you

Thanks so much.

15 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Birdie

Very well said.  I think most of us, as you said, would not have chosen to have this anxiety but like you further stated, it has given you compassion.  I too would never have wanted such a thing as anxiety but it also has made me more compassionate and definitely more empathetic towards others.  Usually when I am on this website it is because I am in need of friendly support and just need to touch base with people who can understand me and not make me feel bad.  The list of negative traits really did the opposite for me.  I know it is probably fact and rooted in authenticated statisticsal anaysis but I just didn't need to read that kind of stuff at that particular time.  All it really did for me is make me question such things as "well am I now destined for alcoholism?, drug addiction, suicide?" (OCD here no doubt) Is the anxiety itself not enough? Now I have more things to think about!    Anyhow enough, time for exposure work!  Sorry for the extendo-rant yet again!

Michael
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Birdie what a marvellous mum you are , totally caring and unselfish . And what alot of things you have overcome inspirational .

You have a fantastic day as well .

15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't like hearing negative news either, but I guess there is some benefit in facing reality.  It's like knowing what the illness really is but
let's not leave it at that!!!!!  I went from starting my own business, getting married, having babies to quiting my job, divorcing and losing my home.
Now since I faced the reality of my anxiety, did exposure work , I've been back to the job I left. Love it and have enjoyed that success of living life
for the past 9 years!   I truly feel I'm better for the experience not that I would have chosen it!!! but I think it has taught me compassion for others
and many other things I might not have learned other than through experience. 
I joined this site because I want to keep growing.  I've realized I've kept some fears from my childhood and I think because my children are
at the age I was when I faced some of these specific fears I'm re-experiencing them myself.  I hope to face them and not run from them.  My
children's father is a recovering alcoholic so I also am doing this for my children so if they develop unrealistic fears or anxious tendencies they
have a place to turn. 
God bless everyone's day!
Birdie

DM a good post . Must say that as soon as i started having a panic disorder just over two years ago i dont touch alchol . I have had the odd glass at christmas and funerals but thats it . Im too nervous too .

15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well.. not one to usually say negative things but I think this post is nothing but negative reaffirmation of a lot of stuff I didn't need to know or worry about.  Most of it is logical but I would much rather see a list of successes as opposed to  a list of negative traits...

That being said... for myself it has made me even more successful in my career / school etc. as it drives me and pushes me to be the best.  Not always a good thing on the "inside" but on the outside it has reaped many benefits...

Also what it has taught me in life lessons could NEVER be learned by reading a book on how to feel empathy etc... For that I'm thankful.

I'm done my "rant"...

Yes here here Michael well said .
15 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breanne

Wow some information that!  I wonder if the purveyor of those stats and studies could provide equally interesting stats and numbers on the successess and/or achievements of those that suffere anxiety disorders.  As for the ONE cited example of  the woman who gave up that job for something less I  would gather that there are many who are able to not give in and remain successful and triumphant in their struggles with anxiety.
Now that would be a good read, one in which I could truly revel in!

Michael

Reading this thread: